NEKTAR — DOOR TO THE FUTURE (review)

NEKTAR — DOOR TO THE FUTURE album cover Live album · 2005 · Hard Rock Buy this album from MMA partners
1967/ 1976
Not an easy band to judge Nektar. Primarily their music is Space Rock with heavy atmospheres (due to sound) with symphonic elements. But this is good if you speak in today view. In 70's Nektar was another band that is partner in the birth of Heavy Metal also if in this case with a music that is 100% Space Rock and, for this motive, Nektar is a Prog Rock band.

This "Door To The Future" is a good live album, recorded in Beitigheim and Beilefeld during German Tour 1974. Sure the recordings are not perfect but sure the atmospheres are saved and great. In my vision Nektar is a band with great musicians and writers, so that the music is a pure experience of dream. But sure for a contemporary metalhed with few appeal. In truth Nektar was totally Heavy Metal for 70's standards as I wrote above. The music, in fact is not so distant fron Wishbone Ash, Judas Priest or other similar bands that plays Heavy Metal in 70's and for this fact precursors of NWoBHM. Is a strange sensation but true and sincere but Nektar is a great band both for Prog Rock and Heavy Metal but Nektar is not part of Proto Prog Metal genre. Not for this Nektar Music is not Proto Prog Metal.

This live album present great songs. I do not have a preferred song in this album. Due, this fact, to the great level of all song but also because it is difficult to choose one song that is better to another song. Probably any songs have a peak moment for me but sure not have a really bad moment or passage. Sure due to recordings this fact is in my mind but it is also true that this is the truth. The sound is dominated by giutar and keyboards (organ? synths?) and in this sense Nektar would be that if was born today would have much success among the followers of Classic Metal. The songs, then, sounds current and fresh.

IMHO, "Door To The Future" is not a perfect live album and it is not totally representative of Nektar music but it is a great album for atmosheres and magic. Sure if 70's music please you "Door To The Future" is a great album, for you.

Rhetoric Of The Image Sludge Metal
TORPOR
The Day I Became Us Deathcore
PRINCIPLES OF MERGER
The Apophis Solution Deathcore
BECOMING AKH
Chimerical Reality Deathcore
AND HELL FOLLOWED WITH

Between Two Oceans - Nightmare (Studio Live)
BETWEEN TWO OCEANS