STUCK MOJO Declaration of a Headhunter

Album · 2000 · Alternative Metal
Four albums into their career, and it took a band falling apart internally to put together what I consider their best work. 'Declaration of a Headhunter' was strung together by guitarist Rich Ward and co. while the band struggled through drug problems, burnout, general bickering, and the added kick to the head that nu metal was becoming a worldwide phenomenon while Stuck Mojo (who were nu metal way before the term was even coined) were being left behind.

"Rap metal" has always been a dirty word to metal fans, and the aforementioned nu metal scene of the early 2000's (which relied heavily on rapping vocals) certainly didn't help to endear the style to more people. As it is, while this is some of Stuck Mojo's best work, it mostly always ends up being overlooked and passed off as nothing more than cheesy and tacky.

Now, I respect everyone's right to an opinion, but in this case, you're all wrong.

'Declaration...' is a fantastic release by one of the pioneers of rap metal. With some of their tightest and most polished songwriting, Rich Ward's signature guitar riffs being some of the best he's ever written, and a coherent use of rapping, singing and growling, this album has it all! There's an abundance of backing vocals and guest appearances, helping compensate for the lack of Bonz during the making of this album, but it works amazingly and fits the music.

Featuring some of their most politically-charged lyrics, their heaviest songs, and interesting spoken intervals that touch upon some thought-provoking subjects (which still hold up all these years later), this should have been the album to put Stuck Mojo in the big leagues where they belong. Tracks like 'Raise the Deadman', 'Drawing Blood', 'Give War a Chance', 'Evilution', 'Hatebreed'... the whole damn lot of 'em... are all examples of why rap metal should never be so casually disregarded.

'Declaration of a Headhunter' is without a doubt one of the most underrated albums, by one of the most underrated bands, of all time. A true masterpiece of heavy metal and hip hop.

Sign of the Dragonhead Symphonic Metal