WITCHERY — Dead, Hot and Ready (review)

WITCHERY — Dead, Hot and Ready album cover Album · 1999 · Thrash Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
"Dead, Hot and Ready" is the 2nd full-length studio album by Swedish metal act Witchery. The album was released through Necropolis Records in October 1999. It was released almost exactly a year after the debut full-length studio album "Restless & Dead (1998)", but the guys in the band were pretty busy in those days, and had also had time to release the "Witchburner" EP in March 1999. There´s been no changes in the lineup since the EP (or since the debut album for that matter), so the five-piece of Toxine (Vocals), Mique (Drums), Richard Corpse (lead guitars), Patrik Jensen (rhythm guitars), and Sharlee D'Angelo (Bass, lead guitars), is still intact. And this despite the fact, that several of the members were also busy with other projects including acts like Mercyful Fate, Arch Enemy, and The Haunted.

Stylistically "Dead, Hot and Ready" pretty much continues the energetic heavy/speed/thrash metal style with black metal type vocals of the previous releases. It´s powerful and very well played by the seasoned musicians involved. Had it not been for the raspy black metal croaks, this would probably have been labelled traditional heavy metal, but the vocals provide the music with an extreme metal edge. The whole thing reeks appreciation for traditional heavy metal values, which songtitles like "The Guillotine", "Full Moon", and "Call of the Coven" also imply. While it is undeniably retro it is delivered with the right amount of conviction and passion, and you´re never in doubt that these guys mean business.

The material on the 10 track, 33:33 minutes long album are generally very well written. It´s predominantly regular vers/chorus structured tracks we´re presented with, but Witchery manage to keep them interesting with great hooks, blistering guitar solos, pounding aggressive rhythms, and a dark occult atmosphere (delivered with a gleam in the eye). The powerful, clear, and very well sounding production is another great asset, and "Dead, Hot and Ready" is on all parameters a high quality release and a great sophomore album by Witchery. A 4 star (80%) rating is deserved.

666sharon666 wrote:

WREN

EMINENCE - THE STALKER - MUSIC VIDEO
EMINENCE
Tupan· 77 minutes ago
FARMER BOYS - Faint Lines (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
FARMER BOYS