CRADLE OF FILTH — Cryptoriana - The Seductiveness of Decay (review)

CRADLE OF FILTH — Cryptoriana - The Seductiveness of Decay album cover Album · 2017 · Symphonic Black Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Kev Rowland

It is hard to believe that Cradle of Filth have now been making a nuisance of themselves for more than 25 years, but here they are back with their 12th album, their second for Nuclear Blast. True, they have been through one or two musicians during that period (okay, so it’s the best part of 30, but who’s counting?), and while Dani has been there since the very beginning, only drummer Marthus can also claim to have been with the band for more than five years. Somehow it never seems to matter, as Dani has a very strong view on what the band should sound like, and the image they should portray, and to my ears it seems like all the travails and efforts have been leading to this point as to my poor abused ears this is the finest thing they have ever done.

For me there has always been a fine line with CoF as to whether they really mean it, or if they are in danger of becoming a parody of the very thing they are trying to represent, but here their blend of symphonic gothic black metal hits every mark, every time. I just can’t fault this album, as from beginning to end I found myself deep inside the dark world of Dani’s creation, where the drums pummel when they need to, the guitars are clean and melodic or distorted and riffing as the need arises, the symphonic histrionics are just right, the female vocals create just the right amount of balance (congratulations to Lindsay Schoolcraft who has large shoes to fill – I was always a huge fan of Sarah Jezebel Deva – but here she gets it spot on) and then there is Dani. Now solidly into his forties, young(ish) Mr. Filth has created an album that takes the bands to new heights, and while I have always had a soft spot for ‘Dusk...And Her Embrace’, I know this has taken the #1 slot for me. If you love CoF then rush out and get this now, as it is everything you have ever enjoyed about the band, just taken to the next level. If you have never been too sure, then now is the time to give them another try.

5 months ago
I watched a review of this on YouTube the other day. Dani sure has a unique vocal sound. Almost like the screaming vocal in Pink Floyd's "Careful with That Axe Eugene". I liked the music that I heard, though I had to agree with the sentiment when the reviewer said, "Cue the Goth shit...!"
5 months ago
I have all their albums between Dusk' and Damnation' but for some reason I cannot find the motivation to listen to a single second of music outside that zone. I've been lent about four albums outside of it and never ever gave em a fair chance. Some kind of mental block on Cradle. Its good to hear they're back though, I might have to finally sit up and pay attention again.

Manor Of Infinite Forms Death Metal