DESULTORY — Counting Our Scars (review)

DESULTORY — Counting Our Scars album cover Album · 2010 · Melodic Death Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Counting Our Scars is the 4th full-length studio album by melodic Swedish death metal act Desultory. The album was released in November 2010 by Pulverised Records. Counting Our Scars is a comeback album for the band who released their last album Swallow the Snake in 1996. Desultory were pretty active in the early and mid-nineties releasing three studio albums in the years between 1993 and 1996, but like many of their contemporaries disappeared at the end of the decade.

Desultory used to play a melodic form of old school Swedish death metal with lead guitar themes in spades and a generally melancholic atmosphere. The band pretty much continue down that road on Counting Our Scars but incorporate the occassional thrash metal part too, which gives the music a more modern touch. The songs are all well written, well performed and well produced, so it´s no surprise that the final outcome sounds very professional. Like on earlier releases the band never really reach excellence though and my attention has a nasty tendency to wander after a couple of tracks. It´s a bit of a shame though because a song like the opening track In a Cage is really strong and promises a lot. Unfortunately when I´m done listening to the album I seem to have a hard time remembering individual tracks and that´s somewhat a problem.

So overall Counting Our Scars is a good consistent melodic death metal album with an old school edge deserving a 3 - 3.5 star rating.

Catharsis Deathcore