BODY COUNT Bloodlust

Album · 2017 · Crossover Thrash
"Bloodlust" is the 6th full-length studio album by US metal act Body Count. The album was released through Century Media Records in March 2017. It´s the successor to "Manslaughter" from 2014 and features the same lineup who recorded the predecessor. "Manslaughter (2014)" was the band´s first album in 8 years, but this time around Body Count have kept busy with touring, and writing and recording "Bloodlust".

After a couple of relatively mediocre albums "Manslaughter (2014)" was a nice comeback for Body Count and it signaled a slight change towards a more metal oriented sound. That´s nothing against what the listener is treated to on "Bloodlust" though, as this is easily the band´s most hard edged metal oriented release up until now. Razor sharp riffs, pounding heavy beats, and an Ice-T in top vocal form. He has never sounded this aggressive and raw before, and it suits him well. Lyrically we´re as always treated to subjects like corrupt politicians, social issues (especially the US black/white issues), bad cops, and ghetto and gang violence. As such nothing unusual for Body Count, but Ice-T as usual has a lot to say about those subjects. Agree with him or not, he successfully adresses the issues in a direct and outspoken manner. There´s no smooth politician talk here, just an angry man talking about the despair and corruption of the world, as seen by him.

The material on the 11 track, 41:00 minutes long album are generally well written and quite catchy. Highlights include "Civil War", "This is Why We Ride", and "Black Hoodie" but there is not a single sub par track featured on the album. Body Count even deliver a decent cover of "Raining In Blood / Postmortem 2017" by Slayer. "Bloodlust" features a powerful, raw, and detailed sound production, which further enhances the feeling that "Bloodlust" is the heaviest Body Count album to date. Upon conclusion "Bloodlust" shows a positive development of sound, although at least one naughty/humourous track could have been nice, but it´s obvious that Body Count have aimed for a more serious and aggressive sound on "Bloodlust", and they succeed well with that mission. A 4 star (80%) rating is deserved.

Tupan wrote:
"Razor sharp riffs, pounding heavy beats, and an Ice-T in top vocal form. He has never sounded this aggressive and raw before, and it suits him well." No more to add, this album is great.
It's rather a goodie this album. Love the cover, but the Body Count material holds up well too.

Terrestrial Mutations Thrash Metal