GUAPO — Black Oni (review)

GUAPO — Black Oni album cover Album · 2005 · Avant-garde Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Bmiler
The most extreme end of prog, with enough heavy guitars and heavy enough where more adventurous metalheads would certainly find much to enjoy, just as much as the more extreme progheads would. The average Bon Jovi or Marillion fan need not apply, that's for sure! What you get is music that brings to mind King Crimson at its more heavy, with influences from the likes of Magma, Univers Zero, and the likes. Lots of heavily fuzzed bass and guitar work from Matt Thompson (whose brother is Andy Thompson, who runs the Planet Mellotron website, and in fact his tron is used on this album), electric piano and even Mellotron from Daniel O'Sullivan and some intense drumming from Dave Smith. At times, his electric piano is in the Canterbury style, and even when he plays like that, you're still faced with this wall of relentless noise. 2005's Black Oni is the followup to Five Suns, and is the second in a trilogy (which ends with 2008's Elixirs). If you love Five Suns, you need this, as it's much the same (in fact the only two Guapo albums that feature the same lineup). This is a full frontal assault that even many thrash metal bands only dream of! It's a great discovery for me, and if you like the more extreme end of prog, or just something heavy and doomy sounding, you can't go wrong here!

Hold Back the Dawn Death Metal
GRAVEYARD
Rhetoric Of The Image Sludge Metal
TORPOR
The Day I Became Us Deathcore
PRINCIPLES OF MERGER
The Apophis Solution Deathcore
BECOMING AKH

Between Two Oceans - Nightmare (Studio Live)
BETWEEN TWO OCEANS