DRUDKH — Autumn Aurora (review)

DRUDKH — Autumn Aurora album cover Album · 2004 · Atmospheric Black Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
The Angry Scotsman
The buzzing guitars and shrieking vocals remain, but with "Autumn Aurora" Drudkh takes another step from the standard black metal formula.

The songs take on more of an atmospheric feel, and are shorter. There's also some use of acoustic guitar and even keyboard, usually filling the backdrop with haunting melody. As mentioned these songs have less of a black metal feel and are more atmospheric than previously, very drifty.

Don't worry though, the guitars still buzz, the vocals are buried shrieks, the lyrics are a mystery to the world outside of Drudkh, and while not high quality you can still distinctly make out the drumming. Like the previous album, there is extensive double bass instead of blast beats (which make no appearance on this album) though the drumming has a bit more to it.

Drifting is really the best way to describe this album, very atmospheric and perfect to listen to while sitting back, enjoying a nice view of a sunset over the mountains. This album may be a bit difficult due to the lack of riffing and song structure, maybe not the best for deep listening but at the risk of sounding pretentious, really is best for experiencing.

Four Stars