FAITH NO MORE — Angel Dust (review)

FAITH NO MORE — Angel Dust album cover Album · 1992 · Alternative Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Stooge
The Real Thing was the album that launched Faith No More into the national spotlight in the US. Not as widely accepted as it’s predecessor, Angel Dust shows Faith No More taking their newfound exposure to make an album that is a true artistic statement.

If you come to this album expecting something along the lines of The Real Thing, you might be disappointed. Not much of the material here would fit into that album. From the opening notes of “Land of Sunshine”, you can still recognize all the individual parts, but the band came together in the studio with a new and refreshing approach.

The downside for fans of the early Faith No More sound is that guitarist Jim Martin’s input on this album is greatly reduced in favor of Patton’s expanded role. However, his presence is still felt on tracks such as “Kindergarten”, “Everything’s Ruined”, and “A Small Victory”, plus his buzzing tone is present on many other tracks.

Patton shows a much more expanded use of his voice, as he incorporates growls and squeals in track like “Malpractice”, but here he shows his true ability as a vocalist with powerful performances in the chorus of “Midlife Crisis” and his assortment of techniques in “A Small Victory” that he only hinted at on his Faith No More debut.

There is a great amount of diversity on this album. Songs range from the extreme and avant-garde “Malpractice” and "Jizzlobber", the poppy cheerleader-driven “Be Aggressive”, the darkness of “Smaller and Smaller”, the hip-hop inspired “Midlife Crisis”, funky “Crack Hitler”, soundtrack-picked “Midnight Cowboy”, and the straight-up metal of “Caffeine”. Picking favorites on this album is a tough task. Each song strikes me a different way when I’m in a different mood so that after each listen I have a new favorite.

Essential!!

Bosh66· 1 day ago
Pillars
EARTH AND PILLARS
Train_Food· 5 days ago
Earth and Pillars - Tides (2014)
EARTH AND PILLARS