FAITH NO MORE — Angel Dust (review)

FAITH NO MORE — Angel Dust album cover Album · 1992 · Alternative Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Pekka
Angel Dust was the first Faith No More album on which Mike Patton's musical influence is audible, having joined the band at a point when the instrumental tracks of their previous album The Real Thing were already composed and many of them recorded as well. Knowing the general leanings of Patton's output it's no surprise that his influence manifests itself as some of the most twisted and weird tracks of their career.

The album artwork depicts the music perfectly, the serene egret on the front and the grotesque meat hook scene on the back. Between the extremes of the John Barry cover Midnight Cowboy and the Patton-penned insane avant metal masterpiece Malpractice the band displays a very wide range of brilliant rock and metal goodness. The Arabic excursions of Smaller and Smaller, the militaristic marching section of Crack Hitler and the most lasting novelty joke song I've ever heard, RV (Mike Patton giving a phenomenal performance as the unemployed white trash slob), are just a couple of the ingredients that make this cooking unique. From the ironic, bass driven Land of Sunshine to the massive guitar wall of Jizzlobber and the aforementioned closing number Midnight Cowboy this album is one full on highlight with no weak tracks whatsoever.

This was the last FNM album Jim Martin would feature on, taking very little part in the compositional process and even disagreeing with the album title which he thought wimpy. Even if he didn't write much his sharp and heavy riffing is an important backbone of this masterpiece of an album. Essential modern metal, one of the key albums of the 90s.

The Leaders Are Swine Deathcore