MORBID ANGEL — Altars of Madness (review)

MORBID ANGEL — Altars of Madness album cover Album · 1989 · Death Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
FMOTP
I rarely listen to death metal; Morbid Angel is the only "old school" death metal band I listen to regularly. I think my very high rating for ALTARS OF MADNESS has something to do with that fact. The creativity and musical skill that the band showed, starting with their first album, places them above almost every other band in the genre IMO. Although I'm far from the first person to say it, major credit has to be given to drummer Pete Sandoval. I can't imagine the skill it takes to play these constantly changing rhythms, even within individual songs.

Some have complained about the sound quality. I listened to ALTARS OF MADNESS on a decent pair of headphones (this is music that definitely requires attentive listening), and had no problems with the sound. Although Morbid Angel may have refined their approach on later albums, that takes nothing away from the brilliance of ALTARS OF MADNESS.

Anyone who complains about the sound quality of Altars of Madness needs the shit cleaned out of their ears, because they've missed the point entirely.

Auto Da Fe Heavy Metal