DARKTHRONE — A Blaze in the Northern Sky (review)

DARKTHRONE — A Blaze in the Northern Sky album cover Album · 1992 · Black Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
siLLy puPPy
Following an introduction that is eerily crystal clear and recorded during a time when the sun's rays shone down from the heavens above, we encounter a dark sinister muffled cacophonous din that signifies an ensuing journey of three Norwegians by the names Nocturno Culto, Zephyrous and Fenriz accompanied by their soon to be departed friend Dag.

The group takes us on a journey into the darkness of the northern Norwegian forests in the middle of the Pagan winter where their journey is illuminated by a sonic tension that serves as a kind of black metal radar that had to be invented for the previous death metal variety alone no longer served this purpose. An unholy union of the two took place.

On a course of approximately 42 minutes, the group continues their thunderous ride throughout the darkened lands where the threats of the shadowed horns of masterless demons thwart their progress to the promised lands. During the most desperate hours a sudden blaze in the northern sky serves as a guide to the direction in which the band would continue to unlock the Unholy Trinity.

Once unlocked the Trinity would serve as a template for other less adventurous souls to embark on a similar journey that DARKTHRONE had already set forth and with the remains of which would continue to reverberate into the present day. Part one of the trilogy is a masterpiece of epic proportions that has been laid upon us.

Revelation Hard Rock