Ok. I knew they were good. But I didn't know they where this good...
Now I have been a fan of Inme since their first album. I won't lie, I did think of them as a bit of a joke, especially with their first 2 albums. I liked them, but I also took the piss out of them a bit (I do that a lot to be honest).
When their 3rd album came out, I bought it as a joke and expected to find a few ok songs and some funny moments. But all I got was a slap in the face. Because while the band took a long break, band leader Dave McPherson got some new members and basically learned how to play their instruments in an almost god like fashion.
Now the bands sound has changed a bit in the years. They still have the almost post hardcore sound attached to them, but the band have adopted an almost proggy sound. The band have always been incredibly melodic and that has been highlighted even more in this album. The band have also flirted with harmony a lot on this album too.
Lyrically, the band have never been better. The lyrics have a kind of a fantasy like tinge to them, but there is always a tinge of emotion and intracity to them. Vocally, Dave has never been better. I always found his voice to be funny, especially in there earlier stuff when he tried to be a Kurt Cobain wannabe, but now when I think of him, I know he is an amazing vocalist. And an amazing songwriter. And a genius of a guitarist.
The band have also matured has songwriters and as instrumentalists. The complicated bits of Herald Moth can still be heard, but the songwriting has improved, with these songs properly being stuck in your head.
1. Reverie Shores – When I first heard the intro to this song, I was surprised. Is this Opeth? Of course not, but the jazzy metal riff in the song is pretty kick ass. An interesting way to start of the album. 9/10
2. Moonlit Seabed – One of there best chorus. As usual the song is chocked full of beautiful melodies. Now the Enter Shikari bit in the middle was a bit odd...but it was pretty cool. 10/10
3. A Great Man – A beautiful arrangement, and a great sing along chorus. Some great lyrics in the song too. 10/10
4. Silver Womb – The intro to this song is pretty epic, and reminds me of Final Fantasy games...or the soundtracks to other Japanese RPGs. Amazing instrumental sections. Dave's vocals are pretty amazing on this song too. 8/10
5. Pantheon – A great song to pick for a single. A powerfull, yet catchy song. Brilliant instrumental work too. 10/10
6. Escape To Mysteriopa – This was a very interesting song to hear Inme do. An epic prog sounding beautiful, almost ballad sounding song. Makes the album feel a lot more unique (than it already is). 10/10
7. Guardian – A pretty epic song with some amazing vocals from Dave. One of the better and more kick ass songs on the album. 10/10
8. Beautiful Sky Gardens – A very beautiful song. The arrangement is top notch, and the lyrics are some of the best I've ever seen Inme do, and a band do in general. I will be humming and listening to this song for ages now. A truly beautiful composition. 10/10
9. Halcyon Genesis – An amazing arrangement with some pretty cool quick and cool moments. 9/10
10. Legacy – A great way to end the album. A beautiful lyrical moment as a tribute to the friend of the band. A very touching moment for the album. 9/10
CONLUSION: This is their sound that they have been searching for. This is their best album. This is one of the albums of the year. This album surprised me. This this this this....