Print Page | Close Window

Black Metal drop-in centre

Printed From: MetalMusicArchives.com
Category: Metal Music Lounges
Forum Name: Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific metal bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.MetalMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=516
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 3:44pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Black Metal drop-in centre
Posted By: Murphy
Subject: Black Metal drop-in centre
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 12:54pm
What is a metal forum without a dedicated Black Metal thread? ('tis a hypothetical question but you can answer it if you want)

I was going to write a lengthy soliloquy on my enticement with the sub-genre, but I'll let the 18 000 odd bands, whether they be good, fetid or damned, speak for themselves.  

I'll disclose some of my tastes a little later if this thread takes off the ground.

-------------
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton

Replies:
Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 1:24pm
OK good idea.

I just noticed that Shining is releasing a new album. One of my favorites the last couple of years. Any other fans?

-------------
http://www.lyngby-boldklub.dk/" rel="nofollow - Forever TRUE - Forever BLUE!
https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Posted By: Phonebook Eater
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 1:47pm
Frankly speaking, I'm not really familiar with Black Metal. Some consider it a horrible and pointless genre, however I'm pretty interested. Any particular recommandations or masterpieces I should try?

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 2:18pm
That�s kind of a broad search. Which bands do you normally prefer?

There�s no use in steering you towards the symphonic side of the genre if you�re more interested in the raw old school sound.

-------------

Posted By: Vehemency
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 4:10pm
I'll be around this topic a lot, hehe ;-) I might write a long post about it in general some time, but as of right now it's night and soon to sleep.

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I just noticed that Shining is releasing a new album. One of my favorites the last couple of years. Any other fans?
Yep, or I'm not sure am I a real fan but The Eerie Cold and Halmstad are really great, and Klagopsalmer is good too. Weird enough, I haven't listened to their first albums much, although in theory I would love them (because there's a bit more "traditional" black metal elements).

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 4:49pm
Some of my favourite bands of the genre :

The following is truly bestial :

for those who don't mind their BM mixed with grindcore :

and this one is interesting as well, somewhere between BM and mathcore :

this one is bestial, sort of martial BM :

Posted By: angelmk
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 6:01pm
Black metal HeartHeart
One of my favourite genres of metal. I realy enjoy  Wolves In The Throne Room, superb; Weakling, made just one album, it is a masterpiece; also  Dimmu Borgir, Emperor,Gernotshagen, Skagos, Drudkh, Peste Noire, Sigh, Immortal, Enslaved.. 

-------------
www.last.fm/user/angelmk

Posted By: DeathOfSeasons
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 6:08pm
Black Metal is one of those genres where when it's done right it's amazing (Sigh), but one when it's done wrong you end up with some of the worst music you'll ever hear (Buio Omega. Planet of Tombs may just be the worst Metal album I've ever heard).

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Vehemency Vehemency wrote:

I'll be around this topic a lot, hehe ;-) I might write a long post about it in general some time, but as of right now it's night and soon to sleep.

I was hoping as such. I've not done much active searching over the last couple of years. Picked up the Ic Rex album you reviewed, but have not had the chance to give it a proper listening yet.

----------------

I struggled with the single Shinning album I once possessed. Brought The eerie cold whence I hit the shelves and sold it shortly after, as I have a wont to do, so I never really gave it a chance. But as the years have gone by my tastes in music have only worsened, so who knows what will grace my ears, with the help of a push and a prod. 

-------------
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 2:40am
Originally posted by Murphy Murphy wrote:

Picked up the Ic Rex album you reviewed, but have not had the chance to give it a proper listening yet.
That's been one of my favourites for years, and it's quite a nostalgic experience to go through that album nowadays. Although it's been just 5 years but for my age that is a lot, haha. The second album "Valonkantajan Alkemia" is a masterpiece also but it's no more that noisy (if that's the catch for some people), and it includes real drums. Overall, a bit more traditional black metal album. "Vedenkantaja", the third album, is back to the programmed drums and no noise there also. Does include some beautiful compositions but is overall the weakest IC Rex album.

Not sure what is going on in the IC Rex camp right now, he disappeared from the Finnish black metal forum (where, by the way, most of the Finnish black metal bands seem to be) a year ago and now the website www.icrex.fi is gone. Too bad because the site had English translations of the lyrics. The booklet has them also but the printing sucks so it's really small letters in the booklet, almost unreadable. (EDIT: Oh, Metal Archives seem to include them too!)

I could keep writing about all stuff but now a little break, hah.

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 5:25pm
Mmm, listened to the first album today while on the cusp of sleep, not the best way to critic music, but I managed to catch bits and pieces while drifting in and out. For me, at least to a small extent, the 'noise' is a catch, tho' from reading a couple more reviews this facet of his music tends to make many flee with their tale between their legs; silly sods. I like the way the noise almost blurs the structural components; you have to work just a little bit harder to discern the very musical aspects of this album. I like to work for my pleasure. Didn't really notice the programed drums, but then again I do like Summoning.  

Looking into Valonkantajan Alkemia soon.

-------------

Posted By: Stephen
Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 1:16am
guys

i'm about to explore Enslaved, my friend told me that I can go with Ruun first, but judging from this site's review, looks like Isa is a better starter, now I'm curious about how is the description of this band's music because I read somewhere that it has progressive metal element.
Can someone enlighten me a bit? :)

Posted By: Any Colour You Like
Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 2:25am
I really don't enjoy vanilla black metal, I find it boring and derrivative. However I do enjoy metal bands that blend black influences or styles, like Agalloch, Alcest and the likes.

Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 6:01am
I like the old Celtic Frost stuff, which is apparently considered black metal, but I've never thought of it as black metal myself. Other than that, I think "Battles in the North"  and I seem to remember liking "Nightside Eclipse", too. Ceremony were also pretty good; they released a couple of black metal demos, and then they started gravitating towards progressive metal. Their demos are hard to come by nowadays, and are probably worth a lot of money.

The vocalist of one of my bands is a big fan of raw and dirty black metal, and he's also an avid vinyl collector, so he has records by a whole bunch of obscure black metal acts from all over the world. Our drummer likes black metal, too, so there are some black metal influences in out own music as well.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Stephen Stephen wrote:

guys
i'm about to explore Enslaved, my friend told me that I can go with Ruun first, but judging from this site's review, looks like Isa is a better starter, now I'm curious about how is the description of this band's music because I read somewhere that it has progressive metal element.
Can someone enlighten me a bit? :)

With Enslaved, it really depends on your background. Isa, from what I can tell (from your tastes) would be your safest/best start. This one is close to half half, progressive to black metal influences. If you were interested in a classic Norwegian slant, I'd head straight for Vikingligr Veldi, but I don't think that will work for you.

-------------

Posted By: idiotPrayer
Date Posted: 08 May 2010 at 5:14am
i love music that's emotionally powerful, that's the difference with most black and death metal. i grabbed a bethlehem/benighted in sodom 7" spilt last week and listening to it makes me so depressed want to kill myselfClap

-------------
"Good taste is the enemy of creativity"
-Pablo Picasso

Posted By: Citizen Erased
Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 9:00am
Forgive my ignorance, but why would you want to listen to music that makes you want to kill yourself? 

Posted By: idiotPrayer
Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 9:43am
well i didn't mean it 100 % literally but what i'm saying is that i like stuff (music, films etc) that's powerful, and that can affect my feeling and mind. i'm not very much into the shallow stuff that doesn't do anything to me. maybe i am a bit weird

-------------
"Good taste is the enemy of creativity"
-Pablo Picasso

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 10:30am
There are certain gems in the depressive / suicidal area of black metal that are really good, otherwise I don't really care about it, especially right now there are millions of worthless bands trying to imitate bands like Shining, Lifelover etc. It's getting ridiculous. Basically every 15 year old black metal fan (sorry my generalization) has its own "depressive black metal" myspace project with a drum machine in the background and then some lazy guitar picking on top. That's how the trends always go, I guess.

Hypothermia is one of the only bands I really dig in this certain style, although from my perspective it's a bit different, in that it creates a void of emotions, a void of everything. It is as stale and pale as music can get, and in that it's somehow beautiful and sick the same time. (I'm particularly referring to the album "K�ld" and generally all the material from those years, the newer material is leaning towards more melodic post-rockish stuff which isn't totally bad either.)

Posted By: bonnek
Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 2:35pm

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of the genre as such but I sure love some of the big names there:
Enslaved, Immortal, Satyricon, Darkthrone, Shining, and mutated forms such as Dissection, Agalloch,
Not much into the whole symphonic black metal stuff.

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 3:13pm
I mostly like the twisted experimental stuff like D�dheimsgard, Ved Buens Ende and their ilk.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 12:50pm

I mostly like the twisted experimental stuff like D�dheimsgard, Ved Buens Ende and their ilk.

I know Ved Buens Ende well, but any recommendations on D�dheimsgard? Or is it best to work linearly through their discography?

-------------

Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 3:26pm
^I guess it depends on what your poison is. The first two albums are pretty raw old school black/ thrash metal and don�t interest me much. 666 International is a really twisted experimental black metal album with industrial elements. Rather progressive actually. I love that one and consider it a masterpiece. Supervillain Outcast is much more polished and varies from blasting industrial black/ death metal to what I would call goth influenced metal ( there�s a song that�s close to Manson on that one). I love that one too, but if you�re mostly an old school black metal guy I�m not sure if you�ll enjoy Supervillain Outcast much.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 3:57pm

^I guess it depends on what your poison is. The first two albums are pretty raw old school black/ thrash metal and don�t interest me much.

I hear you, heard too many raw old school albums in my teens to be actively search for more. Too much music out there to be bogged down.

666 International is a really twisted experimental black metal album with industrial elements. Rather progressive actually. I love that one and consider it a masterpiece.

Just listened to 'Shiva Interfere' on youtube, sounds like my poison. Hard to find good avant-garde in metal. So I think it will be my starting point. 

Supervillain Outcast is much more polished and varies from blasting industrial black/ death metal to what I would call goth influenced metal ( there�s a song that�s close to Manson on that one). I love that one too, but if you�re mostly an old school black metal guy I�m not sure if you�ll enjoy Supervillain Outcast much.

I assume the Manson reference is for the negative :P Only time I've heard him was when he was out in Sydney. Was sitting in a cafe about 2 kilometres from the venue and was still infiltrated with noise! For what it's worth you might be right about Supervillain Outcast I'm not so enamored by the polished sound. Tho' if 666 international is a hit at home I'll test the waters.  

-------------

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 2:20am
^Good callThumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 25 May 2010 at 8:22pm
^^^ In the mail now. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

--------------

Other news I've been listening to bucket-loads of Paysage d'Hiver, I've got pretty much everything he has released. A lot of material to get through, but totally immersive and rewarding. Many years ago you could d/l most of his albums from the website, but I think nearly all the demo's have been re-issue in CD format. Any other fans?

-------------

Posted By: Phonebook Eater
Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 7:27am

That�s kind of a broad search. Which bands do you normally prefer?

There�s no use in steering you towards the symphonic side of the genre if you�re more interested in the raw old school sound.

Well. I'm interested in old school, since I already am pretty familiar with extreme/black  prog metal.

-------------

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/

Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 7:50am

Other news I've been listening to bucket-loads of Paysage d'Hiver, I've got pretty much everything he has released. A lot of material to get through, but totally immersive and rewarding. Many years ago you could d/l most of his albums from the website, but I think nearly all the demo's have been re-issue in CD format. Any other fans?
Yeah. I own the first 3 CD re-releases and also the original tape of Einsamkeit, felt lucky because it sold out in the next few hours...

I should get the rest of the re-releases, I think there's a least 2 of them out that I don't have yet. Have heard them all downloaded, though. The self-titled is probably my favourite.

Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 1:47pm
I�m listening to this one right now.: Deathspell Omega - K�n�se
DEATHSPELL OMEGA - K�n�se cover
It�s quite a demanding release but I�m really impressed. I�ve reviewed most of their earlier material and I didn�t care much for it, but this is where it starts to get really interesting IMO.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 2:00pm
^ That is one hell of an EP! Among my favourite releases. The 2007 album is even more chaotic but as a whole it's not as strong as K�n�se.

Deathspell Omega has great split material also that is often overlooked. They are long tracks (~20 minutes) and definitely worth checking out if one likes this newer style of DsO:

- "Diabolus Absconditus" (from "Crushing the Holy Trinity" split)
- "Mass Grave Aesthetics" (from "From the Entrails to the Dirt" split)
- "Chaining the Katechon" (from "Veritas Diaboli Manet in Aeternum" split)

Anyways, Si Monumentum remains as my favourite release, it's the most nostalgic and definitely speaks to me the most. Followed by K�n�se.

Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 3:41pm
I�ve actually written a review of Si Monumentum for PA: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=212649 - http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=212649 . I�ll take a few more listens and see if I get a new perspective of things before posting it here on MMA. I thought it was a very good album but there were flaws that I didn�t enjoy. Things tend to change the more you listen and I�m pretty stuborn when I hear something I find intriguing even though it might not be instantly likable.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 4:10pm
That was a good review. I totally understand how you don't see it as a total masterpiece, especially knowing that you're maybe not so much into traditional and "monotonous" lo-fi black metal. And Si Monumentum has those elements, although it's indeed more progressive (in the real meaning of that word).

I always find it hard to do 5 star reviews, thus I usually avoid doing them. It's so hard to convince anyone why some album deserves 5 stars because it's somehow really personal, and the reasons unclear to even myself. Can't be easily put into text. But maybe some day I finally get to review this album too, hehe. My next 5 star reviews will most likely be some DRUDKH albums.

Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 8:55pm

Yeah. I own the first 3 CD re-releases and also the original tape of Einsamkeit, felt lucky because it sold out in the next few hours...

I should get the rest of the re-releases, I think there's a least 2 of them out that I don't have yet. Have heard them all downloaded, though. The self-titled is probably my favourite.

Yeah, I think a lot of people like the self-titled the best. I've been listening to the albums for years, but have never managed to get my head around which one I like best. Most of them provoke a visceral experience that has stayed with me for years, even through the period where I'd disowned metal nearly entirely.

My next 5 star reviews will most likely be some DRUDKH albums.

Which albums out of interest? I was enamored with Forgotten Legends and Autumn Aurora when I was a teenager. I'll still put them on every now and again and be swept away by their beauty.  

-------------

Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 3:14am

Which albums out of interest? I was enamored with Forgotten Legends and Autumn Aurora when I was a teenager. I'll still put them on every now and again and be swept away by their beauty.
Forgotten Legends indeed, followed by Autumn Aurora. I also think Blood in Our Wells is worth of 5 stars. Amazing albums although I haven't been actively listening to them for the last two years or so. In addition to their original beauty, now they also sound nostalgic, making them even better!

The other albums are great too but don't reach the perfection of these 3 albums. There might be a new album coming out this year (at least the Les Discrets dude has been asked to do some graphics for Drudkh) and although Microcosmos was slightly a disappointment, I still have my expectations very high.

Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 8:09am
I remember in '05 being highly disappointed with The Swan Road. Not a bad album, but it did not reach up to the ridiculously high standard I'd assigned the band. So I never got around to picking up Blood in Our Wells. I was living in Russia the year it was released and was intrigued by the cover art; funnily enough a couple of weeks later I stumbled across the painting they used for the cover in a gallery and had good intentions, after that, to pick it up in the stores, but never did. Might have to put it on my list. What's it sound like? They were integrating their Ukrainian folk influences a little more heavily, were they not? 

-------------

Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 8:42am
Blood in Our Wells has almost 'progressive' elements (basically just more varied song structures) and some people refer to it as 'cinematic' because it includes samples from some Ukrainian (or Russian, can't remember) movie. The sound production is more full and professional but not too polished or anything. About Ukrainian folk influences, yeah there's certainly more of that, since Forgotten Legends and Autumn Aurora were basically just beautiful nature albums, couldn't sense those albums as so 'Ukrainian'. Since The Swan Road they've definitely added hints of their home country to the music.

I just realized I own 4 different versions of BioW release: original cd, super jewel box cd, original vinyl, and picture-LP. What a fanboy! And it's definitely not the only Drudkh album of which I have many versions, not going to even list them here Big smile...

Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 8:25pm
Ha ha... that's some serious commitment to a band :P

I'll pick Blood in Our Wells for sure now. My favourite Hate Forest album is Battlefields where they use the native folk influences quiet heavily.

- "Chaining the Katechon" (from "Veritas Diaboli Manet in Aeternum" split)

This reminded me, don't think S.V.E.S.T. are on the site yet. 

-------------

Date Posted: 29 May 2010 at 4:29pm
Hehe, I don't usually collect anything and every album I buy is for listening, but the fanboy inside me has loosened my principle when it comes to Drudkh I guess.

Battlefields is a great album. Funny thing is that while I love Hate Forest's usual style, my favourite release of theirs is the ambient demo Temple Forest. Pure magic there, 5 stars from me. The new band after Hate Forest's end, Blood of Kingu, is some great stuff too. The second album just came out and I really like it, they're perhaps mixing some death metal into it now too.

Edit: S.V.E.S.T. added ;-) waiting for MusicBrainz sync.

Date Posted: 30 May 2010 at 9:19pm
I'll have to keep an eye out for Blood of Kingu. Spent too much on CD's this week already :(

I second the Gnaw Their Tongues and related projects recommendation. Really eerie music.

Thought I'd transfer this across here to see if some discussion can be generated. Read one of your reviews on PA: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=266615 - http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=266615 , spot on in my books.

What other projects have you heard?

-------------

Date Posted: 31 May 2010 at 1:03pm
^It�s actually just recently that I was introduced to http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=32917 - De Magia Veterum . Mories is a genious in my eyes. Very innovative and unique. So I�ve actually only listened to Gnaw Their Tongues and De Magia Veterum ( I guess the related projects part of my statement sounds a bit wrong). Metal Archives list these acts too: Ophiuchus, Pompidou, Aderlating, Dimlit Hate Cellar, Astral as acts Mories have been involved in. Do you know any of them and are any of them recommendable?

Oh yeah and I�m glad you liked the review. It didn�t take long to write but it took me a year to come up with the words.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 May 2010 at 1:17pm
^I just added this one: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/gnaw-their-tongues--the-blotched-and-the-unwanted%28compilation%29.aspx - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/gnaw-their-tongues--the-blotched-and-the-unwanted(compilation).aspx

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 1:54am

^It�s actually just recently that I was introduced to http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=32917 - I'm only one up on you. I've got the two full length Aderlating albums. Devotional Hymns is rating reasonably highly in my '10 albums. The Nectar of Perversity Spring From the Well of Repression retains a little more of the tenuous relations to Black Metal, but only just, and chops and changes a little more frequently than the latest. Devotional Hymns is basically stripped of these links, and at times sounds like it's been recorded inside a jet engine. I like to think of it as 'dark noise'. Sometimes it reminds of how �thenor (different sound palette) tried to simulate the effects of insomnia, but with Aderlating it is a self imposed situation, more monotonous and devastating. 

Cheers for the heads up on the box-set.  

http://aethenor.blogspot.com/ -

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 2:13am
Just did some quick web searching:

http://www.myspace.com/pompitune - http://www.myspace.com/pompitune Pompidou is an indie rock band

These two are projects pre-dating Gnaw Their Tongues
http://www.archive.org/details/DimlitHateCellar - http://www.archive.org/details/DimlitHateCellar
http://gnawtheirtongues.bandcamp.com/album/we-the-unclean-shall-flourish-the-celestial-nightmare-demos-93-94 - http://gnawtheirtongues.bandcamp.com/album/we-the-unclean-shall-flourish-the-celestial-nightmare-demos-93-94

The latter is sounding far more promising.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 5:42am
Speaking of noisy / droney black metal, I just recently added Wrath of the Weak here, of which album Alogon is quite good in my opinion. Said to sound too much like Velvet Cacoon but what the hell, it's good nonetheless methinks.

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 5:09pm
yeah, the  new A Forest of Stars is hell of record, also new Blood of Kingu is very good as i expected, in the end it's a practicaly  members of Drudkh other project, it must be good Smile

-------------
www.last.fm/user/angelmk

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 6:15pm
I've been listening to some Gnaw Their Tongues stuff lately... that music scares me to death but something about it captivates me...

I've literally had a few nightmares from that music! LOL

-------------
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 1:05pm
new Horn is so good. i haven't heard his others albums, but in time i will check it. Atmospheric black slowly but steadily is becoming my fave BM subgenres 

-------------
www.last.fm/user/angelmk

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 1:25pm
^ I've heard about Horn many times but never listened to it. Maybe it's now finally time, heh.

Edit: I am familiar  with the same member's other band Licht Erlischt..., actually just its demo,  but it was quite good I remember. Now playing it...

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 1:44pm
^ never heard of Licht Erlischt, i'm currently dl it, but  i saw them labeled as  funeral doom / black metal on metal-archives, that funeral doom part scares me a bit LOL

-------------
www.last.fm/user/angelmk

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 2:00pm
It indeed is a bit slow and the focus is certainly on atmosphere. Dark stuff. Nothing ground-breaking but good nonetheless. Added both bands to MMA.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 2:01pm
Yeah funeral doom can either be the most boring long drawn stuff in the world or really work like magic when someone hits the right notes so to speak. ( sorry I know it�s the black metal thread, so no more about funeral doom from me)

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 2:10pm
^ I totally agree with UMUR!

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 8:28am
i've just listened An Autumn For Crippled Children. what a great band, black metal mixed with doom, post rock.. just beautiful 

-------------
www.last.fm/user/angelmk

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 3:14pm
Haven't heard that one yet. Added the band to the database here, though. :-)

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 4:57pm
i've just listened Njiqahdda - Taegnuub - Ishnji Angma , not bad for a band that makes 3-4 albums a year Smile, such a creative band 

-------------
www.last.fm/user/angelmk

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 5:14pm
They do release loads of material, hard to keep track of all the million releases. I still haven't heard anything totally great, though. I've heard:

- Nji. Njiijn. Njiiijn. (first reaction was 'meh' but I need to take another listen)
- Yrg Alms (probably the best of what I've heard so far)
- Forr Saantae (reviewed here)
- Of Beasts and Blossoms (acoustic, simple & good stuff)
http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=202275 -

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 5:21pm
I'm going to recommend the new Sorgeldom album to anyone into experimental(ish) depressive(?) black metal. I already talked about it in the now playing thread but I'll mention it again. The first two songs in their myspace are from that album: http://www.myspace.com/sorgeldom%20 - http://www.myspace.com/sorgeldom (oh god the sound quality sucks @ myspace)

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 5:56pm
i have to check other Njiqahdda albums, hard work it is. i haven't heard of Sorgeldom , i am currently downloading their latest. i finaly heard  Mutiilation, but i was dissapointed, quite boring, and was hoping that they are french , there is hell of a great black there, but not Mutiilation. recently  I heard czech band Trist, depressive black metal, very good one. For the past few weeks i am obsessed with Lifelover, man that is fuckin awesome, i fell in love in that music. new Lantl�s is good. i heard some greek band Transcending Bizarre? , surprisingly good black metal, avanguarde - symphonic or something, 

-------------
www.last.fm/user/angelmk

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 6:35am
new I Shalt Become is pure bliss. i cannot stop listening to it, i absolutely love that piece of divine music 

-------------
www.last.fm/user/angelmk

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 6:43am
Somehow I've missed that band too, heard good things about it, though!

I've been bashing some albums with negative reviews now - although I did write a positive one about Anu's debut. So that's basically the album that I've loved lately.

Very bad sound quality on that youtube clip, though. Can't almost hear the riffs that are in big role on that song / album...

Edit: Some of that ambient sweetness on the album, me likes very much:

Edit: Wow, the audio quality sucks bad on that clip too - can't even hear the female vocals...

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 7:01am
Never heard of Anu, i love ambient black metal stuf, i have to check it 

-------------
www.last.fm/user/angelmk

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 5:20am
Lately i've been listening to Dornenreich a lot, awesome band 

-------------
www.last.fm/user/angelmk

Posted By: Ulfednar
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 7:15am
So is the Legion still alive?

For the better part of this year, I've been obsessing over Black Metal from Sweden: Dark Funeral, Marduk, Watain.

Not that they have some particular sound or anything, just coincidence.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 7:22am
Originally posted by angelmk angelmk wrote:

Lately i've been listening to Dornenreich a lot, awesome band 
I've tried to get into this band, but always failed... I still hope I can some day appreciate it more. Big smile
Originally posted by Ulfednar Ulfednar wrote:

For the better part of this year, I've been obsessing over Black Metal from Sweden: Dark Funeral, Marduk, Watain.
Marduk has went 10 times better since "Plague Angel" came, much thanks to Mortuus joining in as the singer. "Wormwood" is almost a Funeral Mist album (Mortuus' original band) so I really enjoy it.

Still having mixed feelings towards the latest Watain album. Trying to write something coherent some day when I am finally prepared to write a review of it...

I really liked Dark Funeral around 2005,  "Attera Totus Sanctus" was and probably still is a kick-ass album. So was / is Diabolis Interium. Since those years I've just lost my interest somehow.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 7:38am
Have yet to listen to Watain's latest, and I'm going to have to since they'll be playing with Destroyer666 in my city soon.

As for Dark Funeral, Vobiscum Satanas remains my favourite album, and I was surprised to actually enjoy their latest, Angelus Exuro Pro Eternus, softer though it may be.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 7:45am
Ah, almost forgot Vobiscum Satanas! Listened to that album a lot, too. I'd probably enjoy that DF album the most nowadays, so I'm going to give it a spin soon. Will be nostalgic.

Haven't listened to the newest one at all, maybe at some point to see what they are today.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 8:08am

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 8:21am
Must say, not my thing! The composition itself is definite Dark Funeral (can't really say is it a good song based on one listen), but the whole thing with polished sounds and music videos of that budget make me skeptical of their motives. Can't help getting a feeling that this is directed towards younger audience to sell better et cetera: the basic pattern towards the term selling out if I can say so.

Since Diabolis Interium, Dark Funeral has been on that verge of "good taste" in my opinion, but always stayed enough honest sounding somehow. Can't really get that vibe from this song, though I can not judge any album based on one track (and one listen), so maybe I'll see to the whole album later.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 3:04pm
Well, the engineering for Angelus Exuro Pro Eternus was done by Hypocrisy's Peter Tagtgren, so the "polished" sound is no surprise.

Posted By: kogaionon
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:41pm

Have yet to listen to Watain's latest, and I'm going to have to since they'll be playing with Destroyer666 in my city soon.

As for Dark Funeral, Vobiscum Satanas remains my favourite album, and I was surprised to actually enjoy their latest, Angelus Exuro Pro Eternus, softer though it may be.

about that latest watain album: listened to, appreciated it...for about two days (technically it's an interesting bm album) and then, don't know what happened, but they became dull as hell

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 2:29am
Originally posted by kogaionon kogaionon wrote:

about that latest watain album: listened to, appreciated it...for about two days (technically it's an interesting bm album) and then, don't know what happened, but they became dull as hell
I've heard people say this one thing about Lawless Darkness, and I quite agree with it: It's a good heavy metal album, but if I want to some enjoy some great black metal, I look elsewhere.

By the way, Erik Danielsson is pretty annoying in interviews. If any of you ever question him about the special edition version of Lawless Darkness (with all the Tarot cards and black candles) and the motives behind it, beware to be flamed. This has happened in every single interview I've read from him: he goes maniac and the "fuck off" comments start to appear.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 2:58am
Sounds like he is as sympathetic dudeWink

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 3:16am
Gave a listen to Lawless Darkness on the way to work this morning, I'm not impressed. It's not a bad album, the style just doesn't do it for me. 

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 5:26am

DROWNING THE LIGHT: "Catacombs of Blood"

*CD out through Dark Adversary Productions (late 2010)
*Vinyl LP out through Obscure Abhorrence (late 2010)
*Tape out through??

- - -

Much hated and also praised underground black metal band. Another new album - he releases lots of stuff and fast. Very anticipated release for me, even if they come up with a new album every 6 months or so. They've all been of high quality lately, so I don't mind.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 6:17am
Great cover artwork on that one.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 6:26am
Yep, it's a nice change from the common DtL style with the main member posing in a forest or something in that vein. :-)

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:25am
i've tried to listen few LLN  bands lately Vlad Tepes, Aakon Keetreh, Belketre, Brenoritvrezorkre, but didn't like it, too bizzare, no melody, too gloomy, low quality production, strange ambient vibes  

-------------
www.last.fm/user/angelmk

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 10:15am
Originally posted by angelmk angelmk wrote:

i've tried to listen few LLN  bands lately Vlad Tepes, Aakon Keetreh, Belketre, Brenoritvrezorkre, but didn't like it, too bizzare, no melody, too gloomy, low quality production, strange ambient vibes  
A lot of it is crap, I agree. I think the best Les Legions Noires project was Torgeist. I've reviewed their two demos here, actually.

I also enjoy A�kon K��tr�h. No black metal, just simple, sorrowful melodies and some weird vocals. Said to be dark ambient, whatever. "Dans la For�t" is a good demo that would deserve a re-release but re-releases happen quite rarely with these LLN demos (Torgeist being one exception).

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 4:26pm
^^ i have all 3 demos by Torgeist, i haven't listened them yet, i'll check them. Aakon Keetreh is an obscure one, also in that vain is Paysage d'Hiver, gloomy ambient, extreme example of dark ambient, harsh noise, i tried to listen that one too, but it didn't click on me 

-------------
www.last.fm/user/angelmk

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 6:18pm
So I was listening to my player earlier, convinced that I had plugged in some Blut Aus Nord... but there was this song that sounded really good, and I couldn't for the life of me identify. So I check the screen and there we are: I had mistakenly played Watain's Lawless Darkness album instead. And I was blown away. I don't know what was going on in my brain yesterday, but I'm here to take back my last post: that album kicks some serious ass!

Let's see if it lasts, too.

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 3:07pm
So, what do you guys think of the new Drudkh ? i was kinda dissapointed, doesn't click on me so far, still my fave are Autumn Aurora and Blood In Our Wells. 

-------------
www.last.fm/user/angelmk

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 3:14pm
^ Damn, I still don't have that one... I hope to get it soon, though. Thumbs Up

-------------
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 3:28pm
I listened to it once (ahem, illegal ways again) and won't listen again until the release date when I get the physical CD. Just wanted to take a look at it already so I have an idea what it is, proper listening happens with the real deal in September.

And I'm not sure did I like what I heard. I do prefer the production of this album in comparison to Microkosmos (I bet you will like this production better, J-Man!). Less distortion, which was a bit weird, more like a post-rock thing going on there. Less singing also, it seems. Some rocky arrangements.

Based on that first listen, I'm not overly impressed, but on the other hand, I remember almost nothing about the album anymore, meaning that I really need to hear it again before I nag about it more. ;-)

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 3:34pm
Sounds good. Thumbs Up I prefer their earlier works (like most people), but I'm still excited for this one anyway. They're among my favorite black metal acts.

-------------

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 9:20am
I've heard lots of people mention Drudkh around here, and it sounds like a band I could see myself getting into.  I know there were a couple of their albums at a store near me, so perhaps I'll pick one up sometime this week.

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 9:49am
They seem to trigger lots of attention from non-black metal people nowadays, and I can see why: they do have their own thing going on with beautiful melodies. Season of Mist certainly has a role in the sudden rise of popularity too, though.

I hope the pressure of popularity doesn't affect the band's sound. Right now I have my doubts based on that one listen of the newest album, which seemed to include elements of the current fashionable genres (post-rock / shoegaze). I must say, it wasn't something that I would have expected from a band that praises estrangement and individualism. This, plus the recent re-releases with more compressed sound and more new-ageish cover arts (glad I own all the originals!), makes me doubtful in regard to their future releases... But I won't nag about it more, since this is all just my dystopic imagination.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 2:45am

DROWNING THE LIGHT: "Catacombs of Blood"
*CD out through Dark Adversary Productions (late 2010)
*Vinyl LP out through Obscure Abhorrence (late 2010)
*Tape out through??

3 songs from the album can be heard: http://www.myspace.com/drowningthelight - www.myspace.com/drowningthelight
or
mp3 download: http://darkadversary.com/DTL-AsPlagueUponTheSheep-PoisonInRedemption.mp3 - http://darkadversary.com/DTL-AsPlagueUponTheSheep-PoisonInRedemption.mp3

This album has a 24 page booklet, with some amazing obscure and dark unique artworks created for each set of lyrics.

Now taking pre-orders for this CD

http://www.darkadversary.com/ - www.darkadversary.com

- - -

Vinyl version seems to be out in Feb 2011 so I guess I'll have to go with the CD version, but at least it has a 24-page booklet! Looking forward to this.

Posted By: Balthamel
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 4:53am
ther was once an episode of Bones where they investigated a case surrouning a black metal concert, and many referances to Norway (even some spoke the language).

I hounsetly felt both pride and embarresment

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 3:39pm
Norway indeed has its infamous history of black metal. And accidental or not, one of the only really promising Norwegian black metal bands from the 2000s - Kaosritual -  ended last year because the singer was... *drumroll*...  shot dead. The history keeps repeating itself over there.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 6:28am
Listening to the new Arckanum, good stuff again. Too bad the cover art is pretty subpar compared to the previous two...

...and now...

Stern Smile

Have you Jonas heard the band? You could like some of his stuff, probably Antikosmos at least.
(sucky sound quality on that clip)

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 6:40am
Arckanum?

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 6:45am
Yeah, Arckanum. Did a comeback in the late 2000s, black metal with perhaps a touch of death and doom in there too, partially at least. "Antikosmos" particularly is something I'd recommend, though many seem to dislike it.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 7:43am
I�d have to check it out ( I�m at a place without sound possibilities). Never heard of them before. ThanksThumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 7:05pm
Anyone got thought's on the new(ish) D�dsengel album mirium occultum...

...worth picking up?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 7:50pm
I highly recommend checking out the new Aborym album... it's really great stuff! Clap

Here's my review: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/psychogrotesque--review.aspx?id=224261 - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/psychogrotesque--review.aspx?id=224261

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 1:57am

...worth picking up?

Don�t know the band but the cover artwork is great.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 6:25am

...worth picking up?

Don�t know the band but the cover artwork is great.

That D�dsengel album is pretty good, so I do think it's worth picking up. In fact, I would say it's one of the best bands from Norway nowadays, which doesn't say much though... Abyssal sound and good atmosphere, but nothing extremely out of the ordinary. The band has also released numerous EPs this year which I haven't heard yet, should soon.

By the way, good to see you around, Murphy.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 5:52am
Cheers, been a short while.

I'll have a poke 'round the net to see if I can pick it up cheap. Besides Arckanum any other new-ish releases I should keep my eye on? 

Gotta say this album's grown on me over the last couple of months.

Dark Tribe - In Jeraspunta - Die R�ckkehr der tollw�tigen Bestie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kadrPSAaO1Q&feature=related - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kadrPSAaO1Q&feature=related

A manic vocalist straight outta the asylum and riffs that grate at your ears like gravel, 'tis a good night in, methinks :)

-------------

Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 7:31am
I must admit that I am becoming increasingly fascinated by the genre as I learn to understand it more and more... ahh, the beauty of discovering new music.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 7:10am
That Dark Tribe sounded maniacal - should check it out soon!

Speaking of such weird stuff, I'm digging the debut of Anguished, a female fronted black metal project, the debut album just came out. Jesus, those vocals...

http://www.myspace.com/anguished666 - MySpace

I've heard too many new BM releases lately so I'm too confused to name other good albums, hah... I'll write another reply here later when I can form my thoughts better.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk