Print Page | Close Window

Help With An Online List Of Metal

Printed From: MetalMusicArchives.com
Category: Metal Music Lounges
Forum Name: Metal Music Lounge
Forum Description: General metal music discussions (no polls)
URL: http://www.MetalMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3500
Printed Date: 25 Sep 2018 at 11:00am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: Help With An Online List Of Metal
Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Subject: Help With An Online List Of Metal
Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 4:56pm
If anyone has the time, could they skin through this and see if there are any glaring omissions please ?

http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/list-of-albums-that-you-need-to-have-heard-to-have-a-full-and-comprehensive-understanding-of-metal-music/

Basically, its like a Top 300 Metal albums of all time list, except rather than being exactly "THE.BEST.METAL.ALBUMS." its 300 albums you'd need you have heard to fully and comprehensively understand the entirety of metal.

So there's punk and hardcore, grunge, prog and post hardcore stuff in there too, becuase people mix that in with metal all the time, and there's some of the most definitive albums from most Metal subgenres in there too, Including some of the newer ones.


-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/



Replies:
Posted By: Diogenes
Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 5:47pm
Holy hell that's a big list.  There's no way I can give enough suggestions, especially because you only listed the album names and not the bands (not to criticize-I wouldn't be bothered to do 1/3 of what you have), but here's what I've got (and sorry if I missed something that's already on there):

-I would try to put a Devin Townsend band album on there
-Technical death metal should be given its dues.  Suffocation, Gorguts, and the more modern stuff as well.
-It's technically an EP but I would include Morbid Tales. 
-Some Euro power metal is needed.

And I would look for albums by bands that are redundant, even though they're influential.  For example, do the first 3 Morbid Angel albums, both Keeper of the Seven Keys albums, 2 Lamb of God albums, etc. really need to be on there, when just one of them can make their point?  If you're going to do any swapping, I would start by looking into this.


Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 6:44pm
Good points. I did wonder if it was worth deleting multiple entries per band, because it started out as a normal Top 100 thing and then evolved.

Good idea with the band names, I definitely think I'll add them.

I did put a Devin Townsend album in there, Ziltoid. Or is this a case like Ian Gillain where he has more than one band with his name in it ?


I don't really know enough about Technical Death, I'll have to have a look into that.

Any ideas on the Ambient Black Metal stuff ? I'm clueless, but it seems like it would need representing.

I also wonder about Elton John, The Velvet Underground, The Police & The Prodigy... I've never directly heard that many metal bands say they were influenced by them, but it seems like they would've based on playing together or whatever, and Axl Rose liked them.


-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: Diogenes
Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

Good points. I did wonder if it was worth deleting multiple entries per band, because it started out as a normal Top 100 thing and then evolved.

Good idea with the band names, I definitely think I'll add them.

I did put a Devin Townsend album in there, Ziltoid. Or is this a case like Ian Gillain where he has more than one band with his name in it ?


I don't really know enough about Technical Death, I'll have to have a look into that.

Any ideas on the Ambient Black Metal stuff ? I'm clueless, but it seems like it would need representing.

I also wonder about Elton John, The Velvet Underground, The Police & The Prodigy... I've never directly heard that many metal bands say they were influenced by them, but it seems like they would've based on playing together or whatever, and Axl Rose liked them.


Nah, I meant The Devin Townsend Band.  Totally different from his solo stuff.  Sorry, I should have been more clear on that. 

And I have no freaking idea about the ambient black metal thing.  That's not my realm at all.  I assume Wilytank will chime in later with some suggestions for that.


Posted By: Wilytank
Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 7:39pm
I'd take away Dimmu Borgir's Puritanical Gobbledygook and put in Enthroned Darkness Triumphant, which was their first album that showed their modern style.  Any reason why you chose Puritanical...?




-------------


Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:



Any ideas on the Ambient Black Metal stuff ? I'm clueless, but it seems like it would need representing.



I haven't read your list yet, but check out Vindensang


Posted By: Wilytank
Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:


Any ideas on the Ambient Black Metal stuff ? I'm clueless, but it seems like it would need representing.


Definitely Paysage d'Hiver, particularly Steineiche and Schattengang.  Maybe Striborg as well with Mysterious Semblance, Spiritual Catharsis, and Trepidation.


-------------


Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:


Any ideas on the Ambient Black Metal stuff ? I'm clueless, but it seems like it would need representing.


Definitely Paysage d'Hiver, particularly Steineiche and Schattengang.  Maybe Striborg as well with Mysterious Semblance, Spiritual Catharsis, and Trepidation.


Cool, cheers.
The reason I went for Puritanical' was that I'd seen it in a few lists, but I've seen 'Enthroned in lists too, so I'll bow to your judgment.




Oh, got the band names in it now. Took about an hour lol.


-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: Colt
Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 4:06am
I applaud the effort, this is a tough ask.

Personally, a couple of major errors and omissions.

The Metal genre is far too diverse to allow the luxury of multiple entries for most artists. Although I can see the need for some. 

Only  6 NWoBHM bands? The bands chosen dont represent the diversity of the time sufficiently. 

Please excuse me if these bands are included and I have missed them but these are a must include IMO. (off the top of my head)

Nazareth, UFO, Blue Cheer, Spooky Tooth, Budgie, Aerosmith,The Kinks, Pentagram, Slade, The Sweet, Steppenwolf.

Obviously, open to debate.








-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112" rel="nofollow - http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112





Posted By: adg211288
Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 4:35am
I think its a good work so far. My personal suggestions from the genres I know best would be:

For power metal:

Gamma Ray - Land of the Free. Kai Hansen is widely considered the godfather of power metal so although you have Keepers I & II in there I think at least one Gamma Ray is needed. By the way, Helloween is spelt wrong on both entries. Needs an extra 'l' Wink

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/gamma-ray--land-of-the-free.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/gamma-ray--land-of-the-free.aspx

Also a total lack of Blind Guardian. 

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/blind-guardian--somewhere-far-beyond.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/blind-guardian--somewhere-far-beyond.aspx
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/blind-guardian--imaginations-from-the-other-side.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/blind-guardian--imaginations-from-the-other-side.aspx

For folk metal:

If I'm honest, not the best represented genre. Skyclad is a good choice although that album is apparently more like thrash metal with folk influences. Turisas Are one of the biggest acts so I approve that one. Alestorm a bit iffy, great album but wouldn't be my first choice. I'd say it needs some Cruachan in there. Either of these should do, the first because it's a very early folk metal release and the second because it's still the best folk metal release I've ever heard.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/cruachan--tuatha-na-gael.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/cruachan--tuatha-na-gael.aspx
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/cruachan--folk-lore.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/cruachan--folk-lore.aspx

Some Аркона wouldn't go amiss either.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/arkona%28russia%29--%D0%BE%D1%82-%D1%81%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B4%D1%86%D0%B0-%D0%BA-%D0%BD%D0%B5%D0%B1%D1%83.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/arkona(russia)--%D0%BE%D1%82-%D1%81%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B4%D1%86%D0%B0-%D0%BA-%D0%BD%D0%B5%D0%B1%D1%83.aspx
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/arkona%28russia%29--%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B9-%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%B5-%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B9.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/arkona(russia)--%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B9-%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%B5-%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B9.aspx

And although I'm not really big on either band, Moonsorrow, Eluveitie and Korpiklaani are some of the biggest names of the style.

Symphonic Metal:

Two great choices. Needs more. I recommend:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/epica--design-your-universe.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/epica--design-your-universe.aspx

And I think Therion should have at least one album in there. Most likely this one, their first symphonic metal album:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/therion--theli.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/therion--theli.aspx



-------------
http://www.facebook.com/adg211288Reviews/
http://www.last.fm/user/adg211288


Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

I applaud the effort, this is a tough ask.

Personally, a couple of major errors and omissions.

The Metal genre is far too diverse to allow the luxury of multiple entries for most artists. Although I can see the need for some. 

Only  6 NWoBHM bands? The bands chosen dont represent the diversity of the time sufficiently. 

Please excuse me if these bands are included and I have missed them but these are a must include IMO. (off the top of my head)

Nazareth, UFO, Blue Cheer, Spooky Tooth, Budgie, Aerosmith,The Kinks, Pentagram, Slade, The Sweet, Steppenwolf.

Obviously, open to debate.




Oh, some nice ideas there. Can't believe I forgot Blue Cheer!
I'll definitely add some of those !
I've got 1 Aerosmith album in there, Toys In The Attic, it comes up in lists a lot. Any others 'essential' ?


-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

Holy hell that's a big list.  There's no way I can give enough suggestions, especially because you only listed the album names and not the bands (not to criticize-I wouldn't be bothered to do 1/3 of what you have), but here's what I've got (and sorry if I missed something that's already on there):

-I would try to put a Devin Townsend band album on there
-Technical death metal should be given its dues.  Suffocation, Gorguts, and the more modern stuff as well.
-It's technically an EP but I would include Morbid Tales. 
-Some Euro power metal is needed.

And I would look for albums by bands that are redundant, even though they're influential.  For example, do the first 3 Morbid Angel albums, both Keeper of the Seven Keys albums, 2 Lamb of God albums, etc. really need to be on there, when just one of them can make their point?  If you're going to do any swapping, I would start by looking into this.


What's the most famous Suffocation album ?
...are Nile and Krytopsy in that bracket too ?


-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 11:16am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I think its a good work so far. My personal suggestions from the genres I know best would be:

For power metal:

Gamma Ray - Land of the Free. Kai Hansen is widely considered the godfather of power metal so although you have Keepers I & II in there I think at least one Gamma Ray is needed. By the way, Helloween is spelt wrong on both entries. Needs an extra 'l' Wink

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/gamma-ray--land-of-the-free.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/gamma-ray--land-of-the-free.aspx

Also a total lack of Blind Guardian. 

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/blind-guardian--somewhere-far-beyond.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/blind-guardian--somewhere-far-beyond.aspx
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/blind-guardian--imaginations-from-the-other-side.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/blind-guardian--imaginations-from-the-other-side.aspx

For folk metal:

If I'm honest, not the best represented genre. Skyclad is a good choice although that album is apparently more like thrash metal with folk influences. Turisas Are one of the biggest acts so I approve that one. Alestorm a bit iffy, great album but wouldn't be my first choice. I'd say it needs some Cruachan in there. Either of these should do, the first because it's a very early folk metal release and the second because it's still the best folk metal release I've ever heard.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/cruachan--tuatha-na-gael.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/cruachan--tuatha-na-gael.aspx
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/cruachan--folk-lore.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/cruachan--folk-lore.aspx

Some Аркона wouldn't go amiss either.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/arkona%28russia%29--%D0%BE%D1%82-%D1%81%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B4%D1%86%D0%B0-%D0%BA-%D0%BD%D0%B5%D0%B1%D1%83.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/arkona(russia)--%D0%BE%D1%82-%D1%81%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B4%D1%86%D0%B0-%D0%BA-%D0%BD%D0%B5%D0%B1%D1%83.aspx
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/arkona%28russia%29--%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B9-%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%B5-%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B9.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/arkona(russia)--%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B9-%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%B5-%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B9.aspx

And although I'm not really big on either band, Moonsorrow, Eluveitie and Korpiklaani are some of the biggest names of the style.

Symphonic Metal:

Two great choices. Needs more. I recommend:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/epica--design-your-universe.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/epica--design-your-universe.aspx

And I think Therion should have at least one album in there. Most likely this one, their first symphonic metal album:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/therion--theli.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/therion--theli.aspx


Oh, awesome.
I love how helpful everyone on this site is.
Most metal sites are nothing but arguing jerks and deliberate irrelevant trolls.


-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: Diogenes
Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

Holy hell that's a big list.  There's no way I can give enough suggestions, especially because you only listed the album names and not the bands (not to criticize-I wouldn't be bothered to do 1/3 of what you have), but here's what I've got (and sorry if I missed something that's already on there):

-I would try to put a Devin Townsend band album on there
-Technical death metal should be given its dues.  Suffocation, Gorguts, and the more modern stuff as well.
-It's technically an EP but I would include Morbid Tales. 
-Some Euro power metal is needed.

And I would look for albums by bands that are redundant, even though they're influential.  For example, do the first 3 Morbid Angel albums, both Keeper of the Seven Keys albums, 2 Lamb of God albums, etc. really need to be on there, when just one of them can make their point?  If you're going to do any swapping, I would start by looking into this.


What's the most famous Suffocation album ?
...are Nile and Krytopsy in that bracket too ?


I don't know about most famous, but their debut Effigy of the Forgotten was hugely influential on all branches of death metal at the time it was released.  Pierced from Within is where they really perfected their style though, and it's probably their best.  Can't go wrong with either one IMO.

Nile and Cryptopsy, absolutely.  Just make sure it's an early Cryptopsy album!  Oh, and again, GORGUTS.

Oh!  How could I forget?  Atheist and Cynic need to be on there too. 


Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 1:13pm
Perhaps of the more obscure kind, but Brats' 1980 is quite something, and I'd put it on the list. Also Cynic's Focus and Atheist's Unquestionable Presence are, in my opinion, some of the best prog extreme metal albums out there, so I'd put them on the list, too. I'd probably also put Candlemass' first album on the list as it is seminal in epic doom metal.

-------------


Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 3:26pm
OK.

Thus far I have got it to 350.

I added a lot of your suggestions for technical death, folk, symphonic & doom metal albums, as well as some pre-metl stuff too.

I also added in a few emo albums I thought likely were necessary too.

..and I shuffled the order around too.

Starts with pre-metal, ends with Djent... which kind of makes sense. the middle is still a bit fuzzy... maybe all the punk stuff should go after pre-metal but before metal.

Anyway, here's what I've got so far (+many thanks)

http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/list-of-albums-that-you-need-to-have-heard-to-have-a-full-and-comprehensive-understanding-of-metal-music/



-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

I applaud the effort, this is a tough ask.

Personally, a couple of major errors and omissions.

The Metal genre is far too diverse to allow the luxury of multiple entries for most artists. Although I can see the need for some. 

Only  6 NWoBHM bands? The bands chosen dont represent the diversity of the time sufficiently. 

Please excuse me if these bands are included and I have missed them but these are a must include IMO. (off the top of my head)

Nazareth, UFO, Blue Cheer, Spooky Tooth, Budgie, Aerosmith,The Kinks, Pentagram, Slade, The Sweet, Steppenwolf.

Obviously, open to debate.




Oh, some nice ideas there. Can't believe I forgot Blue Cheer!
I'll definitely add some of those !
I've got 1 Aerosmith album in there, Toys In The Attic, it comes up in lists a lot. Any others 'essential' ?
 
"Toys in the Attic" is a good choice.


-------------
http://www.lyngby-boldklub.dk/" rel="nofollow - Forever TRUE - Forever BLUE!
https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM


Posted By: Diogenes
Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

OK.

Thus far I have got it to 350.

I added a lot of your suggestions for technical death, folk, symphonic & doom metal albums, as well as some pre-metl stuff too.

I also added in a few emo albums I thought likely were necessary too.

..and I shuffled the order around too.

Starts with pre-metal, ends with Djent... which kind of makes sense. the middle is still a bit fuzzy... maybe all the punk stuff should go after pre-metal but before metal.

Anyway, here's what I've got so far (+many thanks)

http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/list-of-albums-that-you-need-to-have-heard-to-have-a-full-and-comprehensive-understanding-of-metal-music/



Make sure you at least listen to our suggestions first.  This is your list, after all. Thumbs Up


Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

OK.

Thus far I have got it to 350.

I added a lot of your suggestions for technical death, folk, symphonic & doom metal albums, as well as some pre-metl stuff too.

I also added in a few emo albums I thought likely were necessary too.

..and I shuffled the order around too.

Starts with pre-metal, ends with Djent... which kind of makes sense. the middle is still a bit fuzzy... maybe all the punk stuff should go after pre-metal but before metal.

Anyway, here's what I've got so far (+many thanks)

http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/list" rel="nofollow - http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/list -of-albums-that-you-need-to-have-heard-to-have-a-full-and-comprehensive-understanding-of-metal-music/



Make sure you at least listen to our suggestions first.  This is your list, after all. Thumbs Up


Yeah, but its not a list of things I think are good, its a list of things that are demonstrably influential to other artists or definitive of scenes.

One day I'll know everything in it, but at the minute the list is aspirational / for information purposes.


-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: IMPF2112
Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 8:32pm
Please don't be offended when I say this, but [spoiler]That list is horrible[/spoiler]


Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 1:21am

Aren't all lists horrible to people who don't agree with them?



-------------


Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 1:39am
Anyway, I'd probably also add Rainbow's "Long Live Rock 'n' Roll" to my list if I did a similar list (great that "Rising" is there). You have Celtic Frost's "To Mega Therion", which I applaud, but I'd also add "Into the Pandemonium" and "Cold Lake" ("Into the Pandemonium" for being groundbreak in the creation of avant-garde metal and "Cold Lake" because they suddenly went glam which created an uproar in the metal community). Exodus-wise, I'd also add "Impact is Immanent" or "Fabulous Disaster", and Carcass-wise "Necroticism" would definitely be on my list. Oh, and King Diamond should be represented, too, probably with "Abigail", "Them", and "Conspiracy". Testament, being one of the legendary thrash metal band would also have to be represented with one of their earlier albums. I also think that Agnostic Front's "Cause for Alarm" is an important crossover release, and, so, I'd include it on my list if I did a similar one.

-------------


Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 7:30am
Originally posted by IMPF2112 IMPF2112 wrote:

Please don't be offended when I say this, but [spoiler]That list is horrible[/spoiler]


Cool, this is useful. What would you change ?
What would you add, subtract, re-arrange ?

Why do you say that ? Dislike the albums, Disagree with the albums historical significance, disagree that the albums represent their band and genre well, what ?


-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: IMPF2112
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

Originally posted by IMPF2112 IMPF2112 wrote:

Please don't be offended when I say this, but [spoiler]That list is horrible[/spoiler]


Cool, this is useful. What would you change ?
What would you add, subtract, re-arrange ?

Why do you say that ? Dislike the albums, Disagree with the albums historical significance, disagree that the albums represent their band and genre well, what ?

ELP, Genesis, Yes, Nick Drake (among others) have absolutely nothing to do with Metal. There not even close to being Hard Rock. I like all those artists, but I'm confused as to why they are on there.

Follow the Reaper should be on there instead of Hate Crew Deathroll.

Moonsorrow, Arkona and Primordial should be on there for Folk Metal.

There's waaay too many Grunge/Alt/Nu Metal/Groove Metal/Metalcore on there. I guess I could understand putting some on, but there's just way too many on there, especially since those genres are among the least prominent in the Metal scene.

Terria and Ocean Machine should be on there with Ziltoid.

There should be a section on Avant-Garde Metal. Some suggestions are Arcuturus' The Sham Mirrors, maudlin of the Well's Bath, Gorguts' Obscura, Devin Townsend's Deconstruction, Imaginary Sonicscape by Sigh, Into the Pandemonium by Celtic Frost, and Mr. Bungle's s/t.

The fact that there's only one Bathory album is depressing. Hammerheart, Blood Fire Death and the s/t most definitley deserve to be on there along with Under the Sign...

The Black Metal section is so horribly incomplete I don't even know where to start.



Aside from that, the list isn't too bad. Sorry if you think I'm being an asshole or something like that. 





Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 9:17am
Originally posted by IMPF2112 IMPF2112 wrote:

Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

Originally posted by IMPF2112 IMPF2112 wrote:

Please don't be offended when I say this, but [spoiler]That list is horrible[/spoiler]


Cool, this is useful. What would you change ?
What would you add, subtract, re-arrange ?

Why do you say that ? Dislike the albums, Disagree with the albums historical significance, disagree that the albums represent their band and genre well, what ?

1. ELP, Genesis, Yes, Nick Drake (among others) have absolutely nothing to do with Metal. There not even close to being Hard Rock. I like all those artists, but I'm confused as to why they are on there.

2. Follow the Reaper should be on there instead of Hate Crew Deathroll.

3. Moonsorrow, Arkona and Primordial should be on there for Folk Metal.

4. There's waaay too many Grunge/Alt/Nu Metal/Groove Metal/Metalcore on there. I guess I could understand putting some on, but there's just way too many on there, especially since those genres are among the least prominent in the Metal scene.

5. Terria and Ocean Machine should be on there with Ziltoid.

6. There should be a section on Avant-Garde Metal. Some suggestions are Arcuturus' The Sham Mirrors, maudlin of the Well's Bath, Gorguts' Obscura, Devin Townsend's Deconstruction, Imaginary Sonicscape by Sigh, Into the Pandemonium by Celtic Frost, and Mr. Bungle's s/t.

8. The fact that there's only one Bathory album is depressing. Hammerheart, Blood Fire Death and the s/t most definitley deserve to be on there along with Under the Sign...

9. The Black Metal section is so horribly incomplete I don't even know where to start.


Aside from that, the list isn't too bad. Sorry if you think I'm being an asshole or something like that. 

This is not some huge angry rant. Tone is difficult to discern on the internet so it may look like I'm getting heated because you cant hear the tone of my voice and see my body language or facial expressions, but this is a calm and neural-emotioned explanation:


1. They're in there because of their huge influence on Prog Metal, because of their huge and constantly documented influence on Priest and Maiden and because they always turn up on these lists, including Metal Hammer's recent 300 Metal Albums issue.

4. I would argue that they aren't as irrelevant as you think, its just that those aren't the parts of metal that you personally focus on.
A) they're hugely important for luring in new metal fans, started tonnes of metal and hard rock musician's careers, influenced tonnes and tonnes of new musicians to start and soon the influence of people who grew up on the likes disturbed and linkin park will start to break through.
B) Metalcore has been one of the most important and populous genres for new fans in the past 15 years.
C) All the grunge, alternative & posthardcore stuff is important for its influence on metalcore,nu metal, djent, newer avant garde, the wave and those new british hardcore metal bands.
D) For people aged 12-18, this section is much more relevant than NWOBHM, Doom,Black or some of the 'cooler' subgenres. And since the list is about what you need to have heard to understand the holistic entirety of metal those are the very things I wanted to cover. 

3,6,9. I don't know about those genres at all, so all/most of my info has been based on suggestions from forums like this one. You may well be right there.  I'll definitely look into those and am grateful for the suggestions.

2,5,8.  That ones just down to opinion. Its from the hundred's of lists, podcasts, articles, documentaries and forum posts I've ever experienced that the ones in there got chosen, I haven't seen the same evidence for the ones you've chosen a for the once that I've chosen, or else I would have chosen them because again my opinion of how good something is or isn't is absent from this list, and the entire point of the list is what you'd need to have heard to definitively understand all metal, not which albums are good.
The only reason that quiet a lot of the albums are good, is only because the good ones were often influential or genre-definitive.



-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 9:59am
OK.

Its up to 400 now.
Only 100 to go.




http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/list" rel="nofollow - http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/list -of-albums-that-you-need-to-have-heard-to-have-a-full-and-comprehensive-understanding-of-metal-music/#Power%20Metal



I wish I could remember the name of some of those new bands that are half pop-punk and half metal.
Ambient Black Metal is still only 1 album. I know it exists but I don't know any of the bands.


Two things that I could include but am resistant to are The Dethalbum by Dethklock and Spinal Tap's first album. I dunno, they feel too much like compilations and no 'proper' studio albums to me.



-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 12:15pm
Some more suggestions from me:

Maximum the Hormone: ぶっ生き返す
Because it is an example of how alternative/nu metal can actually be interesting and innovative.

Clawfinger: Deaf Dumb Blind
Perhaps the most important rap metal album in European metal history ever.

Artillery: By Inheritance
I think this is an underappreciated technical thrash metal album, featuring some of the sickest vocals in the history of the genre.

Sepultura: Arise
Legendary thrash metal album and, to many, the last good Sepultura album.

Nuclear Assault: Handle With Care
Unique eco-thrash album with crossover elements - nothing sounds like that album, I think.

Invocator: Dying to Live
Deserves mention for being one of the most innovative and technical (dare I say progressive) groove thrash albums of its time.

Psychotic Waltz: Into the Everflow and A Social Grace
I remember people ranting on about these releases back in the day and, while they've perhaps faded (eh?) from the spotlight these days, they were definitely important milestones in the world of progressive metal.

Fates Warning: Awaken the Guardian
This is generally the preferred album among the John Arch-worshipping faction of FW fans, and it is generally an important album in progressive metal.

Anvil: Metal on Metal
Their most iconic release, I think, and quite influential - not just in traditional heavy metal, but also in other genres.

Running Wild: Under Jolly Roger and Port Royal
Considered some of the most important "pirate metal" albums.

Funeral: Tristesse
Important doom metal album and, according to many, the seminal funeral doom album.

Paradise Lost: Lost Paradise
My Dying Bride: As the Flower Withers
Anathema: Serenades
All for being seminal death-doom albums.

Are you going to write a couple of words per album on the list, by the way? It would be interesting to read why you think that each album is important to the world of metal.


-------------


Posted By: Diogenes
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 12:28pm
On the topic of technical thrash, I'd look into Watchtower, Coroner, and Toxik.  


Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:


Are you going to write a couple of words per album on the list, by the way? It would be interesting to read why you think that each album is important to the world of metal.


I dunno, it would get very repetitive. Every article would either be essentially 'this is an example of what thrash metal sounds like' or else 'this influenced Emperor's guitar style'

All the weird ones would just be 'because Nu Metal/Djent/The-more-emoish-selection-of-Metalcore bands liked it'


-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

On the topic of technical thrash, I'd look into Watchtower, Coroner, and Toxik.  


Oh yeah, definitely Watchtower.


-------------


Posted By: IMPF2112
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

Originally posted by IMPF2112 IMPF2112 wrote:

Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

Originally posted by IMPF2112 IMPF2112 wrote:

Please don't be offended when I say this, but [spoiler]That list is horrible[/spoiler]


Cool, this is useful. What would you change ?
What would you add, subtract, re-arrange ?

Why do you say that ? Dislike the albums, Disagree with the albums historical significance, disagree that the albums represent their band and genre well, what ?

1. ELP, Genesis, Yes, Nick Drake (among others) have absolutely nothing to do with Metal. There not even close to being Hard Rock. I like all those artists, but I'm confused as to why they are on there.

2. Follow the Reaper should be on there instead of Hate Crew Deathroll.

3. Moonsorrow, Arkona and Primordial should be on there for Folk Metal.

4. There's waaay too many Grunge/Alt/Nu Metal/Groove Metal/Metalcore on there. I guess I could understand putting some on, but there's just way too many on there, especially since those genres are among the least prominent in the Metal scene.

5. Terria and Ocean Machine should be on there with Ziltoid.

6. There should be a section on Avant-Garde Metal. Some suggestions are Arcuturus' The Sham Mirrors, maudlin of the Well's Bath, Gorguts' Obscura, Devin Townsend's Deconstruction, Imaginary Sonicscape by Sigh, Into the Pandemonium by Celtic Frost, and Mr. Bungle's s/t.

8. The fact that there's only one Bathory album is depressing. Hammerheart, Blood Fire Death and the s/t most definitley deserve to be on there along with Under the Sign...

9. The Black Metal section is so horribly incomplete I don't even know where to start.


Aside from that, the list isn't too bad. Sorry if you think I'm being an asshole or something like that. 

This is not some huge angry rant. Tone is difficult to discern on the internet so it may look like I'm getting heated because you cant hear the tone of my voice and see my body language or facial expressions, but this is a calm and neural-emotioned explanation:


1. They're in there because of their huge influence on Prog Metal, because of their huge and constantly documented influence on Priest and Maiden and because they always turn up on these lists, including Metal Hammer's recent 300 Metal Albums issue.

4. I would argue that they aren't as irrelevant as you think, its just that those aren't the parts of metal that you personally focus on.
A) they're hugely important for luring in new metal fans, started tonnes of metal and hard rock musician's careers, influenced tonnes and tonnes of new musicians to start and soon the influence of people who grew up on the likes disturbed and linkin park will start to break through.
B) Metalcore has been one of the most important and populous genres for new fans in the past 15 years.
C) All the grunge, alternative & posthardcore stuff is important for its influence on metalcore,nu metal, djent, newer avant garde, the wave and those new british hardcore metal bands.
D) For people aged 12-18, this section is much more relevant than NWOBHM, Doom,Black or some of the 'cooler' subgenres. And since the list is about what you need to have heard to understand the holistic entirety of metal those are the very things I wanted to cover. 

3,6,9. I don't know about those genres at all, so all/most of my info has been based on suggestions from forums like this one. You may well be right there.  I'll definitely look into those and am grateful for the suggestions.

2,5,8.  That ones just down to opinion. Its from the hundred's of lists, podcasts, articles, documentaries and forum posts I've ever experienced that the ones in there got chosen, I haven't seen the same evidence for the ones you've chosen a for the once that I've chosen, or else I would have chosen them because again my opinion of how good something is or isn't is absent from this list, and the entire point of the list is what you'd need to have heard to definitively understand all metal, not which albums are good.
The only reason that quiet a lot of the albums are good, is only because the good ones were often influential or genre-definitive.


The Bathory albums I suggested are not simply a matter of opinion. Bathory's self-titled is quite possibly the first real Black Metal album ever. Hammerheart single-handedly invented the entire Viking Metal genre. Blood Fire Death is arguably Bathory's most popular albums with fans and critics.

Also, some more suggestions for you:


Crimson by Edge of Sanity. One of the most notable albums of the Progressive Death Metal genre, and arguably the most popular album of prominent Metal musician Dan Swanö's career.


The Maniacal Vale by Esoteric. The most popular band of the modern Doom Metal scene, and a good example for the Funeral Doom and Death Doom sub-genres.


Mabool by Orphaned Land. This Israeli Metal band was one of the first to combine Progressive Metal with Middle Eastern Folk Music, and have become one of the most popular bands in the Middle-Eastern Metal scene, and as stated  http://www.metalarmyinternational.com/" rel="nofollow - here , they have managed to break social boundaries between communities of Jews and Muslims in the Middle East which I think is quite notable.

I shall also eventually give you a large list of Black Metal recs to add to your list, but that will be for another day.







Posted By: IMPF2112
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 8:07pm
Also, the fact that you have two albums by Limp Bizkit on that list and none by Atheist or Cynic makes me wanna commit Seppuku or something.


Posted By: IMPF2112
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 8:13pm
And also your argument that Metalcore/Nu Metal is as important than NWOBHM, Doom Metal and Black Metal because a bunch of kids who are new to Metal are into it is the equivalent of saying that Blink 182 are just as important to Punk Rock as the Sex Pistols, and even though I'm not much of an expert on Punk Rock, I know for a fact that's absolute bullshit.


Posted By: dreadpirateroberts
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by IMPF2112 IMPF2112 wrote:

Also, the fact that you have two albums by Limp Bizkit on that list and none by Atheist or Cynic makes me wanna commit Seppuku or something.
 
Useful.


-------------
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.


Posted By: dreadpirateroberts
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

OK.

Its up to 400 now.
Only 100 to go.

http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/list-of-albums-that-you-need-to-have-heard-to-have-a-full-and-comprehensive-understanding-of-metal-music/#Power%20Metal" rel="nofollow - http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/list-of-albums-that-you-need-to-have-heard-to-have-a-full-and-comprehensive-understanding-of-metal-music/#Power%20Metal

I wish I could remember the name of some of those new bands that are half pop-punk and half metal.
Ambient Black Metal is still only 1 album. I know it exists but I don't know any of the bands.

Two things that I could include but am resistant to are The Dethalbum by Dethklock and Spinal Tap's first album. I dunno, they feel too much like compilations and no 'proper' studio albums to me.

 
Great work, a big task you've taken on, I'm impressed with the scope.
And was really pleased to see Acid Bath in there.


-------------
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.


Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 3:43am
Originally posted by IMPF2112 IMPF2112 wrote:

And also your argument that Metalcore/Nu Metal is as important than NWOBHM, Doom Metal and Black Metal because a bunch of kids who are new to Metal are into it is the equivalent of saying that Blink 182 are just as important to Punk Rock as the Sex Pistols, and even though I'm not much of an expert on Punk Rock, I know for a fact that's absolute bullshit.


I'm inclined to agreeing with Kingcrimsonprog here. Perhaps metalcore is not important to me, because I'd already discovered metal back in the 80s through Iron Maiden, Metallica, AC/DC and the like - they introduced me to the entire metal universe. I can imagine that metalcore and nu metal bands have the exact same function to kids today as the trad. and thrash metal bands had to me back then. So, I actually fully understand Kingcrimsonprog's bird's-eye view-based argument here. Your line of argumentation seems to be based on the metal-elite vs. metal-noob perspective, but I don't think that that's the principle that Kingcrimsonprog's list is structured by.

Originally posted by IMPF2112 IMPF2112 wrote:

Also, the fact that you have two albums by Limp Bizkit on that list and none by Atheist or Cynic makes me wanna commit Seppuku or something.


It's just a list. There's no need to kill yourself over it... but if you end up doing it, perhaps you could just hang yourself or take some pills. That's less messy.



-------------


Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 7:53am
Originally posted by IMPF2112 IMPF2112 wrote:

Also, the fact that you have two albums by Limp Bizkit on that list and none by Atheist or Cynic makes me wanna commit Seppuku or something.


Lol, both Athiest and Cynic are in there.

Yeah, I did some looking up, checking old lists and mag countdowns and there is definitely a case for those Bathory albums, I think I'm going to add them on my final stretch up to 500.

On a similar note Hellhammer are a must, but they only put out bloody EPs, which is annoying as I'd made a point of having only full-length studio albums.



-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: adg211288
Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 8:08am
Still needs some Аркона for folk metal, IMO. This one I think is most popular:  http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/arkona%28russia%29--%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B9-%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%B5-%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B9.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/arkona(russia)--%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B9-%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%B5-%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B9.aspx

By the way, typo in the Gamma Ray entry: You put Gama rather than Gamma. 

Could use some USPM I think. I'm not that well versed in it though. Maybe the others have some recommendations. I'd put forth Pharaoh for now:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/pharaoh--the-longest-night.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/pharaoh--the-longest-night.aspx

Symphonic Death Metal is gradually getting more common currently. Maybe consider any of the following releases:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/septic-flesh--the-great-mass.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/septic-flesh--the-great-mass.aspx
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/fleshgod-apocalypse--agony.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/fleshgod-apocalypse--agony.aspx
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/mayan--quarterpast.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/mayan--quarterpast.aspx
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/hollenthon--with-vilest-of-worms-to-dwell.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/hollenthon--with-vilest-of-worms-to-dwell.aspx


-------------
http://www.facebook.com/adg211288Reviews/
http://www.last.fm/user/adg211288


Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 8:19am
Originally posted by IMPF2112 IMPF2112 wrote:

And also your argument that Metalcore/Nu Metal is as important than NWOBHM, Doom Metal and Black Metal because a bunch of kids who are new to Metal are into it is the equivalent of saying that Blink 182 are just as important to Punk Rock as the Sex Pistols, and even though I'm not much of an expert on Punk Rock, I know for a fact that's absolute bullshit.


On this point I'd just raise the old 'in the nu metal era, music sales were the highest in the history of the music business' argument that everyone uses to defend Nu Metal and the like.

Between Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Korn, Coal Chamber  and Slipknot, the combined record sales are almost definitely bigger than every band in the Black Metal (or Doom Metal, excluding Black Sabbath for not being part of the actual Doom genre) genre's combined sales.

More people bough it. More people liked it.
Slipknot and Limp Bizkit sometimes play in front of more people per show than a black or doom band play in front of in an entire tour.

You can debate about the quality of the fans, sure. But at the end of the day, more human beings prefer this stuff to the more respectable stuff that elitists like. Silent majorities are still the majority.  And what better what to judge worth of inclusion by its relevance to people ?
What better way to judge relevance to people by the number of people it affects ?

Again, you can argue about the quality of the people, you might say they don't love the music properly, but that argument falls apart at least a bit when you hear someone like Terry Beezer go off in an impassioned defense of Limp Bizkit.


Think of it this way:
How many people would be listening to metal right now if Hair Metal, Nu Metal and Metalcore didn't exist ?
How many people would be going to see Emperor and St Vitus concerts if Hair Metal, Nu Metal and Metalcore didn't exist ?

The first band I ever bought tickets for was Limp Bizkit, the first show (Bizkit cancelled due to a back injury) I ever went to was Ozzfest with American Headcharge, System Of A Down, Drowning Pool, Otep and a bunch of other nu Metal bands. Some of the first ever CDs I bought were by Green Day and Slipknot.

Now I'm a Carpathian Forest, Zyklon, Sleep, Kreator & Judas Priest fan.
That story is pretty similar for every metal fan I've ever met my own age, for more than one of the writers at Metal Hammer magazine and for the next generation of Black, Doom and Death Metal bands.

Limp Bizkit are unfashionable, and perhaps even downright unlikable to some, but their contribution to the health of the metal scene is undeniable. Just like Poison in there day and Black Veil Brides or whatever other terrible band is doing it right now.

Metal needs gateway bands. To understand the holistic entirety of metal you need to understand the gateway bands. The list is a list of albums you need to understand to understand the holistic entirety of metal.



(Again, tone on the internet is hard. That is nothing but a calm, neutal-emotioned explanation of my decision rather than an argument or heated defense)



-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

Originally posted by IMPF2112 IMPF2112 wrote:

Also, the fact that you have two albums by Limp Bizkit on that list and none by Atheist or Cynic makes me wanna commit Seppuku or something.


Lol, both Athiest and Cynic are in there.

Yeah, I did some looking up, checking old lists and mag countdowns and there is definitely a case for those Bathory albums, I think I'm going to add them on my final stretch up to 500.

On a similar note Hellhammer are a must, but they only put out bloody EPs, which is annoying as I'd made a point of having only full-length studio albums.



Will Demon Entrails do? It's a compilation of their demos.


-------------


Posted By: IMPF2112
Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

 
That story is pretty similar for every metal fan I've ever met my own age

That's interesting, because I'm probably younger than you and I never liked any of those bands. Ermm

But whatever, I guess I can sort of see where you're coming from, I just think proportionally they are taking up too much room compared to real Metal genres.


Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by IMPF2112 IMPF2112 wrote:

Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

 
That story is pretty similar for every metal fan I've ever met my own age

That's interesting, because I'm probably younger than you and I never liked any of those bands. Ermm

But whatever, I guess I can sort of see where you're coming from, I just think proportionally they are taking up too much room compared to real Metal genres.


That is a fair and interesting point.
When I get the full 500 it might even out a bit better, otherwise I'll have to start a balancing act.



-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: adg211288
Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 2:25pm
Before I forget that Lacuna Coil album you have in there really has nothing to do with symphonic metal.

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/adg211288Reviews/
http://www.last.fm/user/adg211288


Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Before I forget that Lacuna Coil album you have in there really has nothing to do with symphonic metal.

Yeah, I'll shift it down to the goth stuff with H.I.M


-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 8:04pm
Oh, anyone know what Killing Joke's most famous album is ?

-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: dreadpirateroberts
Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 8:23pm
^ First two or 'Extremities' perhaps?

-------------
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.


Posted By: adg211288
Date Posted: 15 May 2012 at 4:54am
I spotted another error. You have the album Fire of Unknown Origin down twice, one of them as being by Alice Cooper rather than Blue Öyster Cult. The other is correct.

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/adg211288Reviews/
http://www.last.fm/user/adg211288


Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 15 May 2012 at 9:47am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I spotted another error. You have the album Fire of Unknown Origin down twice, one of them as being by Alice Cooper rather than Blue Öyster Cult. The other is correct.


Oh, cool, got rid of it now.
It really doesn't help the error reading process that the edit page toolbox is only 9cm tall, lol.


-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 17 May 2012 at 8:12am
Ok.

Only about 45 albums to go till I stop at 500.

What do you guys reckon are 50 of the most important albums ?





-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: 19 May 2012 at 2:08pm
Swans - Filth


Posted By: ChaosAngel
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 7:03am
First and foremost, let me applaud what you are doing with this list.  Huzzah, good sir!

Now, just a couple of minor nitpicks.

One:  in the prog section, you list Pawn Hearts (which is a good album), but you talk in the article section about "Arrow", which is on Godbluff.  Honestly, between Arrow and Scorched Earth, Godbluff bleeds more true to metal than Pawn Hearts (those songs are the most metal things you could ever hear that include a saxophone...).

Two: Why no Dopes to Infinity in the Monster Magnet listings?  That is largely considered to be their finest album.

Three (and this one is VERY minor): You listed Earth AD by the Misfits, but not Walk Among Us.  Again, I have found by and large Walk Among Us to be an album held in higher regard overall.

If I am mistaken and/or simply blind (i.e. didn't see something), please disregard my criticisms.

At any rate, good on you, sir.


Posted By: Kingcrimsonprog
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by ChaosAngel ChaosAngel wrote:

First and foremost, let me applaud what you are doing with this list.  Huzzah, good sir!

Now, just a couple of minor nitpicks.

One:  in the prog section, you list Pawn Hearts (which is a good album), but you talk in the article section about "Arrow", which is on Godbluff.  Honestly, between Arrow and Scorched Earth, Godbluff bleeds more true to metal than Pawn Hearts (those songs are the most metal things you could ever hear that include a saxophone...).

Two: Why no Dopes to Infinity in the Monster Magnet listings?  That is largely considered to be their finest album.

Three (and this one is VERY minor): You listed Earth AD by the Misfits, but not Walk Among Us.  Again, I have found by and large Walk Among Us to be an album held in higher regard overall.

If I am mistaken and/or simply blind (i.e. didn't see something), please disregard my criticisms.

At any rate, good on you, sir.


Yeah, all good points. I must update this list.
Havent touched it in quite a while.

Most of the problems stem from it origionally being small (50 or 100, I cant remeber) and slowly expanding, so classics got missed out just to fit the number, then wen u expand, you forget which ones you did and didnt put in.




-------------


My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/


Posted By: DT*RUSH
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 2:06pm
Wow, what a list. I'm not really a metal expert(I come on here to learn more about it)so I can't comment too much. Being more of a prog fan I would say from a prog perspective I would add Yes-relayer, Drama and big generator. Also some Gentle Giant(octopus and maybe civilian). Also, Focus-moving waves. Great list though.



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk