Print Page | Close Window

Anthrax Albums

Printed From: MetalMusicArchives.com
Category: Metal Music Lounges
Forum Name: Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific metal music albums
URL: http://www.MetalMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=330
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 5:11pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Anthrax Albums
Posted By: FusionKing
Subject: Anthrax Albums
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 10:52am

Should be going into the city in a couple of days with the intention of getting an Anthrax album, as inconveniently I only have a compilation disc and the rest is on cassette. Having a war in my head over which album to pick

1. The Sound Of White Noise
2. Persistance Of Time    ...or,
3. Among The Living
       HELP ME CHOOSE ONE! Confused

Replies:
Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 12:03pm
Among the Living.

Remember - I AM THE LAW ;-)

Posted By: mosefus
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 1:01pm
Among the Living every time, though Persistence of Time is also a fine album.
Sound of White Noise is fairly tame, and lacks the wondrous wailing vocals of Joey Belladonna.
He is sorely missed throughout.

-------------
http://www.smellthecult.com
http://www.smellthecult.blogspot.com

Keep it metal and ye shall be wise

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 1:36pm
Yep probably Among the Living among all these Wink

Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 5:58am
I do like the groove of Sound of White Noise.

-------------

Posted By: EM Hearst
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 11:44am
Actually i think their best album is Spreading the Disease... it's a Madhouse! Medusa is awesome. It's all awesome! !  Rawks

But Among the Living is a close second, and awesome in it's own right... caught in a mosh is surely the greatest thrash song ever written... well, maybe second to Exodus' toxic waltz!

thrash til death! Nuke

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 11:48am
I vote for Among the Living too.

-------------

Posted By: mosefus
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 6:32pm
[QUOTE=EM Hearst]Actually i think their best album is Spreading the Disease... it's a Madhouse! Medusa is awesome. It's all awesome! !  Rawks
Nuke
[/QUOTE

Yeah, Madhouse is definitely Anthrax's best tune.  Just perfectly paced.  Anyone who can listen to the main riff without banging their head is no metalhead.

-------------
http://www.smellthecult.com
http://www.smellthecult.blogspot.com

Keep it metal and ye shall be wise

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by EM Hearst EM Hearst wrote:

Actually i think their best album is Spreading the Disease... it's a Madhouse! Medusa is awesome. It's all awesome! !  Rawks

But Among the Living is a close second, and awesome in it's own right... caught in a mosh is surely the greatest thrash song ever written... well, maybe second to Exodus' toxic waltz!

thrash til death! Nuke

Quoted for truthClap. To be perfectly honest, I have always found Among the Living a bit disappointing, while in the Eighties Spreading the Disease got me hooked from day one. Their Armed and Dangerous EP was also very good.

Posted By: DeathOfSeasons
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 1:02am
Get Among the Living. But if you don't have Spreading the Disease definitely get that instead.

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 3:19pm

'Persistence Of Time' is their most "progressive" album.

'Attack Of The killer B's' has some crazy tunes as well.

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 11:12pm
Sound Of White Noise.  Probably my favorite Anthrax album.  And in second place (not listed above) We've Come For You All.

Of the Joey stuff, which I always found a bit cheesy, I'd probably go with either Among The Living or Persistence of Time (though I can't stand their Got The Time cover).  They aren't as cheesy.

Posted By: alberto mu�oz
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 1:50pm
Among the Living a Persistence of Time are the best.

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by EM Hearst EM Hearst wrote:

I'd agree with that, the rest are average in comparisson IMO.

Date Posted: 16 May 2010 at 3:13pm
  ^
Actually, I went into town just a little while ago, and I now have 'Spreading The Disease' and 'Persistence Of Time'

Date Posted: 16 May 2010 at 5:36pm
^
I never get bored of 'persistence of time'. It's said to be their most mature work (and most "progressive", comparable to 'rust in peace' for megadeth and 'and justice for all' for metallica). You will not regret your purchase. 

Date Posted: 17 May 2010 at 1:03pm
   ^
Didn't regret it one bit. They both rock.

Posted By: Phonebook Eater
Date Posted: 28 May 2010 at 10:37am
The only one I have is Among The Living, but I know it's a true trash metal classicRawksWink

-------------

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 9:01am
Among the Living is Good stuff but I prefer early Anthrax Spreading the Disease
I love Medussa and AIR especially

what does AIR stand for by the way?

-------------
GLAM METAL!

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 6:59am
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Adolescence In Red.

Possibly a homage to Sab's NIB (Nativity In Black)

-------------
Dorosłe dzieci mają żal, za kiepski przepis na ten świat.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 4:26pm
Anyone hear impressed by the collection of songs 'Attack Of The Killer B's'. 'milk (ode to Billy)' has to be one of the most extreme Anthrax songs. 

-------------
Dorosłe dzieci mają żal, za kiepski przepis na ten świat.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Anyone hear impressed by the collection of songs 'Attack Of The Killer B's'. 'milk (ode to Billy)' has to be one of the most extreme Anthrax songs. 

I prefer the original version of Milk, done by Anthrax side project S.O.D. (Stormtroopers of Death).

Posted By: LittleBig
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 5:31pm
I actually like Sounds of White Noise more than Persistance of Time which I found rather disappointing.

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 9:39am
^
I love The Sound Of White Noise! Heart...And I've lost the cassette tape for it!  I'm grieving for the terrrible loss at the moment. Cry

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

I actually like Sounds of White Noise more than Persistance of Time which I found rather disappointing.

I'm in the minority, but I prefer SOWN over anything they did with Joey as singer.  I haven't heard Persistence of Time in a while, but thinking about it I remember there being some of their heaviest material with Joey as singer on that album.  I remember Scott Ian once said that they had a singer like John Bush in mind when they made that album.

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 1:58pm
from what i've read, Belladonna is back in the band and they were working on new material.

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 2:22pm

from what i've read, Belladonna is back in the band and they were working on new material.

I'm pretty fed up with how that band has operated over the past few years.  They went from Bush to Belladonna to attempt to cash in on nostalgia, had another singer (Dan Nelson I think his name is) who mysteriously left or was fired the band, got John Bush back for a few shows, now Joey's back in.  And supposedly John Bush is still the singer Scott Ian prefers to be in Anthrax.  Pretty messy situation. 

I hope for the sake of Joey, who seems like a good guy from all I've heard, Scott/Anthrax are done with shuffling the deck and have some consistency for once.

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 3:27pm
^ you are right; they haven't created anything new in almost 7 years, if I remember right, their last studio album was released in 2003, right?

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 4:13pm

^ you are right; they haven't created anything new in almost 7 years, if I remember right, their last studio album was released in 2003, right?

Yes.  They released the great We've Come For You All in 2003.

Posted By: Charcaroth
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 4:22am
Among the Living is their most aggressive and intense album, but to me, Persistence of Time is their best one. It's the most serious, consistent and focused.

Posted By: The Angry Scotsman
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 2:48am
Out of those, Among the Living for sure.
Great album!

Posted By: whitedragon1969
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 10:20am
Sound Of White Noise for three reasons:
1. the groove
2. for songs like Only (killer), Black Lodge (very good), and C11 H17 N2 O2 S Na (KILLER)
3. and most of all the voice of John Bush - sorry Joe but John is much better singer....
With all the respect to Joey's voice which is very good but Jon Bush simply is a better singer!

-------------
If you close the light every woman looks the same (Ancient Greek tale by Diogenis)
Very democratic...

Posted By: Bondarus
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 2:36am
Sound of white noise for sure.

Joey's vocals just don't do it for me but thats a personal preference.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 7:17am
"Sound of White Noise" got me into Anthrax, and I still think it's a great and groovy alt. metal album, but recently I've started gravitating more towards their older stuff - especially "Among the Living" - and I think that Joey Belladonna delivers some great performances on the albums with him as the frontman.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 10:39am
Alternative metal??? Never like this term... Metal. Just METAL.

-------------
If you close the light every woman looks the same (Ancient Greek tale by Diogenis)
Very democratic...

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 6:52pm
It's a subgenre in this music database, so I use it here on the forums since there is no "just metal" term  (even if I essentially share the "just metal" attitude); one of the reasons why the alt. metal makes sense to use is that it paces a lot of the metal of the 90s on par with the alt. rock scene that influenced that decade and in many ways pervaded heavy metal and injected a lot of insiration into it which has been very important to its subsequent development.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 2:35pm
I totally agree with you buddy, just the term "Alternative metal" reminds me bands like Bush who is no metal at all if you want my opinion. When I said "just metal" I was meaning Heavy Metal. I guess I did not set my question with the right way. Excuse me.

-------------
Very democratic...

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 2:48pm
Oh, so you're categorizing "Sound of White Noise" as more traditional heavy metal? That makes sense :-) Sorry for misunderstanding your post.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 4:11pm
Not exactly traditional metal. I would describe the music from "Sound of White Noise" as metal with many modern elements and personally I think is closer to the sound of Pantera and Alice In Chains (actually a mix of both) than to the alternative sound.

-------------
Very democratic...

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 4:31pm
Yeah, I agree on that description.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 5:27pm
If you look at my profile buddy I'm sure that you're noticed that my age is 41 years. So I'm a metal boy from the 80s...Evil Smile
In those days we used just two terms to describe this genre of music: Hard Rock and Heavy Metal.
Well maybe I'm looking an old-fashioned guy, but as you know is a difficult thing for an old dog to learn new tricks!Wink
I think I need an intensive education!

-------------
Very democratic...

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 3:56am
There's only 8 years between us then, so I'm with you there ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 9:51am
You "dirty" old educated dog!!!Wink

-------------
Very democratic...

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 4:52am
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Adolescence In Red.

Possibly a homage to Sab's NIB (Nativity In Black)
thanks for that!

I always wondered

-------------
GLAM METAL!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk