Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to metal music
URL: http://www.MetalMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=245
Printed Date: 15 May 2024 at 1:54pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ozzy Albums
Posted By: FusionKing
Subject: Ozzy Albums
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 3:46pm
Now is your chance to declare your love of the metal created by Ozzy and the myriad of great heavy metal guitarists he's had on board through the years... Just so you know, there are multiple votes permitted. Enjoy! Tongue

Replies:
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 3:52pm

Personally, I'd go for the first four studio albums (Randy Rhoads and Jake E Lee) plus the monster album with Zakk Wylde that is No More Tears. I think these would make a classic box set!

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 3:53pm
I really love his first three studio albums, but my vote went to Diary of a Madman. Pity he felt the need to scrap the original contributions by Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake, and replace them with new ones Thumbs Down

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 3:57pm
Actually I'm getting to enjoy searching for the un-remastered copies now, it's like becoming the Indiana Jones of second hand record stores. Big smile

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 3:59pm
is this answer enough hahah...

gimme a hell yeah... Rawks

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 3:59pm
1. Tribute
2. Diary = Blizzard
3. Bark = Sin
4. Tears = Wicked
5. The rest

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 4:07pm

Ow-ow-owoooooooooohhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Bark At The Moon!

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Ow-ow-owoooooooooohhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Bark At The Moon!

hahhaha...  GOD I LOVED that video. LOL  Someone get a youtube clip of that one for the kiddies...

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 4:22pm
I still have the Ultimate Ozzy VHS somewhere. I loved Jake E. Lee. But I studied Randy Rhoads note for note. My greatest teacher though he was gone before I picked up the guitar.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 4:42pm
he was something Jay...

I really like Jake E Lee as well.....

hahah... god I love this video..

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 4:10am
Live at Budokan is the only complete album I've heard and it's very good. Perhaps one day I'll dig into the early albums, if I can find the original versions.

-------------
http://iamthreepeople.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow"> <- Click on this!

Posted By: Harry
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 6:19am
The last 2 albums were absolute garbage.
Diary of Madman is my favorite and Blizzard of Ozz second, but unfortunately as of the middle of last year when I really got into studying production, I find both almost unlistenable now.
Triple tracked solos sound really painful to my ears.
In 3rd place,  Tribute, which was my first introduction to Ozzy as a "solo" artist

Posted By: PROGMAN
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I really love his first three studio albums, but my vote went to Diary of a Madman. Pity he felt the need to scrap the original contributions by Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake, and replace them with new ones Thumbs Down

yes these don't sound right especially on "Goodbye to Romance".

This move was done over some dispute of pay or something.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Harry Harry wrote:

Diary of Madman is my favorite and Blizzard of Ozz second, but unfortunately as of the middle of last year when I really got into studying production, I find both almost unlistenable now.
In 3rd place,  Tribute, which was my first introduction to Ozzy as a "solo" artist

The awful production on the first two albums is why I like Tribute so much. I know you don't dig the guitar tone but it's so much better than the studio versions.

At the time, no one had ever multitracked solos, let alone some of the most dextrous ones at the time. It's cheese cheese now, but it was actually part of the amazement of RR when those albums broke. That not only could he play that stuff, but that he could nail it exactly every single time.

Tribute also just has Randy at his absolute peak in terms of what we have now. I really wish we could have had "Over the Mountain" on that collection and dump "Goodbye to Romance" at minimum. There are some good versions of that live circulating. S.A.T.O would have been cool as well.

Posted By: The T 666
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 12:36pm

I loved Blizzard of Ozz, but I also loved No More tears. I liked his albums a lot until recently.. Ozzmosis was his last good one

Voted No More tears for variety's sake

-------------

Posted By: Matt
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 1:47pm
Blizzard for me ......It has Crazy Train on it Rawks

-------------
Matt

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 3:29pm
'No more tears' the best of the best (the 80's albums sound terribly dated). It has the late great Randy Castillo's best drumming and of course Zakk Wylde's unique trademark. Far better than its commercial predecessor and more metal than its follower.

Posted By: alberto mu�oz
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

he was something Jay...

Did you hear the budokan version?

Sure rocks!!

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 7:09pm
Blizzard following by Ultimate Sin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iik5OzhyMRA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iik5OzhyMRA

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 7:10pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZYMIWlN0Gc - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZYMIWlN0Gc

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by alberto mu�oz alberto mu�oz wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

he was something Jay...

Did you hear the budokan version?

Sure rocks!!

I might have back in the day... but don't remember.. but sounds like I need a refresher listen. Clap

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 3:31pm
Diary of a Madma, that title track is the best track of his entire career if you ask me...

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 8:30pm
It's been a long time since I've sat down and listened to Ozzy albums, but I'm voting for Diary of A Madman.  Blizzard is a classic record as well, and No More Tears has some great songs on it. 

It's been a long time since I've listened to No Rest For The Wicked, but  I remember the one time I saw Ozzy in 2003, they actually played Fire In The Sky, which surprised the hell out of me.

Posted By: EM Hearst
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 10:20pm
Technically speaking, Blizzard and Diary are by far his best (i especially am partial to Diary of a Madman)... but i think they are both quite played out, and the album i reach for most often nowadays is actually The Ultimate Sin! So I went ahead and voted for it.

I love the title track, it has one of the best riffs in any ozzy song... heavy! Plus, Shot in the Dark is a great song, maybe my favorite individual Ozzy song next to Diary of a Madman's title track. Killer of Giants is great too, as well as secret loser and most of the other tracks too... a very under-rated album i think.

Jake E Lee was good, i like his style 100 times more than that miserbale Zakk Wylde... what a sh*tty guitarist... i feel no emotion in his playing whatsoever. No Rest for the Wicked is TERRIBLE (Breaking all the Rules is the only decent song, with an almost-heavy main riff). Zakk ruined Ozzy in my opinion..,. he hasn't released a great album since The Ultimate Sin and Jake E Lee's departure.

-------------
http://nulll-void.com/nulll/collective/ - The NULLL Collective

http://www.archive.org/details/SynapticFracture-TheLunaticTransmissions2010 - Synaptic Fracture

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Originally posted by Harry Harry wrote:

The awful production on the first two albums is why I like Tribute so much. I know you don't dig the guitar tone but it's so much better than the studio versions.

At the time, no one had ever multitracked solos, let alone some of the most dextrous ones at the time. It's cheese cheese now, but it was actually part of the amazement of RR when those albums broke. That not only could he play that stuff, but that he could nail it exactly every single time.

Tribute also just has Randy at his absolute peak in terms of what we have now. I really wish we could have had "Over the Mountain" on that collection and dump "Goodbye to Romance" at minimum. There are some good versions of that live circulating. S.A.T.O would have been cool as well.

That's true, I agree that Tribute has a much nicer guitar and bass guitar sound.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 10:03am
The Ultimate Sin is a great, great album, sometimes underrated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBloFTUFKE0 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBloFTUFKE0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cccWCsO-KIo&feature=related - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cccWCsO-KIo&feature=related

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 10:25am
Originally posted by EM Hearst EM Hearst wrote:

Technically speaking, Blizzard and Diary are by far his best (i especially am partial to Diary of a Madman)... but i think they are both quite played out, and the album i reach for most often nowadays is actually The Ultimate Sin! So I went ahead and voted for it.

I love the title track, it has one of the best riffs in any ozzy song... heavy! Plus, Shot in the Dark is a great song, maybe my favorite individual Ozzy song next to Diary of a Madman's title track. Killer of Giants is great too, as well as secret loser and most of the other tracks too... a very under-rated album i think.

Jake E Lee was good, i like his style 100 times more than that miserbale Zakk Wylde... what a sh*tty guitarist... i feel no emotion in his playing whatsoever. No Rest for the Wicked is TERRIBLE (Breaking all the Rules is the only decent song, with an almost-heavy main riff). Zakk ruined Ozzy in my opinion..,. he hasn't released a great album since The Ultimate Sin and Jake E Lee's departure.

I was Jake E. Lee's biggest fanboy and I wouldn't go quite this far. I liked No Rest for the Wicked, and Zakk's tone was huge and still is. I don't think he's as good as Jake and neither were as good as Randy.

Jake went downhill alot. I was listening to some of his later stuff on youtube and it's just not there. He recorded a version of "Surfing with the Alien" that's just pathetic. There are a few live things from Badlands where his chops are still good. He does some ok blues now, but the best example of his playing is the video "The Ultimate Ozzy."

And now for my new fanboyism. In contrast, watch former Megadeth lead guitarist Chris Poland. There are videos of him 1995 when he's so strung out he's about to blow away, but his guitar work is just friggin' amazing. And he's actually still recording guitar music that is up there with virtually any guitarist who ever recorded.

BTW, I still bust out the intro to "Killer of Giants" not too infrequently, at least as often as "Dee." Two formative pieces of music in my guitar education. (along with Crazy Train and Bark at the Moon) 

-------------
We're gonna do a little number featuring Randy Rhoads...

Wine is fine but whisky's quicker.

That's what Rock n' Roll's About!!!!

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 11:19am

I was Jake E. Lee's biggest fanboy and I wouldn't go quite this far. I liked No Rest for the Wicked, and Zakk's tone was huge and still is. I don't think he's as good as Jake and neither were as good as Randy.

Jake went downhill alot. I was listening to some of his later stuff on youtube and it's just not there. He recorded a version of "Surfing with the Alien" that's just pathetic. There are a few live things from Badlands where his chops are still good. He does some ok blues now, but the best example of his playing is the video "The Ultimate Ozzy."

And now for my new fanboyism. In contrast, watch former Megadeth lead guitarist Chris Poland. There are videos of him 1995 when he's so strung out he's about to blow away, but his guitar work is just friggin' amazing. And he's actually still recording guitar music that is up there with virtually any guitarist who ever recorded.

BTW, I still bust out the intro to "Killer of Giants" not too infrequently, at least as often as "Dee." Two formative pieces of music in my guitar education. (along with Crazy Train and Bark at the Moon) 

Aye, Killer of Giants' opening guitar part is brilliant... dream-like, trance-inducing, emotional, beautiful, and dark all at the same time.

As for ole Zakk, i guess i'll just never get the appeal. He seems all flash with little substance... his riffs and solos have never moved me in the least. Here and there he has a decent riff, but almost never for an entire song heh... like the evil main riff to 'No More Tears', which is great... but all it's power is diluted by that annoying slide-guitar part and all the dumb pointless "squeals" he pulls off in every freakin' song.

The very best song with Zakk is Thunder Underground from OZZmosis. But i think Geezer Butler actually wrote those riffs, so i stand by my opinion that Zakk is terrible hehe. Tongue

-------------

http://www.archive.org/details/SynapticFracture-TheLunaticTransmissions2010 - Synaptic Fracture

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 11:31am
..oh, hell yeah the "Ultimate Ozzy" video was amazing! Great set-list and performances, and those garish robes Ozzy wore back then were hilarious HA! I wore that VHS out when i was a kid. That along with Van Halen's "Live Without a Net" and Iron Maiden's "Live After Death" were the holy trinity for me when i was 9 to 10 years old.

That concert video, and the age i was when it came out, are a main reason i love Ultimate Sin so much... those were my formative years when i really started digging metal above other genres. 

-------------

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 1:13pm
Blizzard Of Ozz has the best collection of songs but as others has said is marred by a flat production.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 5:34am
Yeah I'm not really a Zakk Wylde fan either.
Because of Zakk you get idiot kids that walk past you in guitar shops saying "Oh man that sounds like Zakk Wylde!". You just want to punch the little buggers in the face and inform them that it's in fact a Randy Rhoads or Jake E Lee style lick you're playing and that's basically where Zakk got all his licks from.

Jake E Lee just tears it up in that so. Simply dripping with passionate guitar playing.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 6:50am
out of curiosity... has anyone bought the infamous Ozzy remasters.  On principal... I wouldn't touch those with a 10' ft pole... talk about a sleazy move.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 8:06am
You can hear them on youtube. As bad as the original production was, the new ones are worse.

Re: Zakk...he added almost nothing new to metal. His goal was to fuse southern rock and metal and he did a little of that in his first solo project. His trademark to me is the pinch harmonic and the vibrato that's so wide you wonder how he's not off the fretboard. He's metal to the core.

But go to you tube and watch the Killer of Giants video with Jake. He was a monster. He made an interesting decision to never use a whammy bar and started making up his own techniques, some of which are still part of the guitar back of tricks. I have never seen anyone quite do the tapped harmonic thing the way he does in that video. There's another one where he does multifinger tapping with octaves that was way ahead of its time. He certainly trailed off later but during his run with Ozzy he was a monster. I certainly like his playing better than George Lynch, his main rival. (Very similar to how Eddie and Randy were rivals in LA 5 years earlier).

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 8:11am
Jake's tone on that video is as good as I've ever heard. I'm not huge into over-flanging but it really helps his tone. The outro solo is what Jake is all about, and on this version he extends it. I spent so much time in front a VHS tape machine trying to learn that thing back in the day.

Tommy Aldridge with Ozzy also adds alot of energy. Speeding it up doesn't hurt either.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 1:53pm

You can hear them on youtube. As bad as the original production was, the new ones are worse.

even less of a reason to get them LOL

Re: Zakk...he added almost nothing new to metal. His goal was to fuse southern rock and metal and he did a little of that in his first solo project. His trademark to me is the pinch harmonic and the vibrato that's so wide you wonder how he's not off the fretboard. He's metal to the core.

metal to the core? damn right...   and along with metal... comes a secondary aspect to being metal.  Image.. and that.. not music.. is what his pathetic attempts to 'fuse' southern rock and metal are all about.

not a fan of his btw... LOL 

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 2:05pm
I'm 50/50 when it comes to Zakk. Sometimes he sounds like a beast and other times he bores me somewhat. My boys are Randy and Jake, definately.

Posted By: bonnek
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 12:43pm
Soft spot for Bark at the Moon

Posted By: Phonebook Eater
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 11:51am
Just have Blizzard of Ozz... But it's a great metal album, so I'm sure it's his masterpiece

Posted By: vmoore
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 12:24pm
I love the ultimate sin 

-------------

Posted By: Tupan
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 8:37pm
Ozzmosis. Very underrated album.

Posted By: Bosh66
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 5:05am
Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

Ozzmosis. Very underrated album.
Agreed. Ozzmosis is excellent. Still think the second remains the best though. Diary for me.

Posted By: Nick Dilley
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 12:07am
He's one of those dudes where you listen to his music, and you're like "WHat Planet is this GUy FROM>!>!>!?!?!11"

"I WANNA GO THERE!"

Freakin' love OZzy. I voted for Diary of a Madman, but it's hard choice.

Dead

-------------

www.withinareverie.blogspot.com
soundcloud.com/withinareverie
facebook.com/withinareverie

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: 01 May 2013 at 1:27am
Blizzard Cool for Revelation(Mother Earth) Headbanger

-------------
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris

Posted By: Deadcenter