Print Page | Close Window

What is a deal breaker in metal for you?

Printed From: MetalMusicArchives.com
Category: Metal Music Lounges
Forum Name: Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to metal music
URL: http://www.MetalMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2104
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 8:35pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What is a deal breaker in metal for you?
Posted By: topofsm
Subject: What is a deal breaker in metal for you?
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 9:07pm
This is a list of some of what I seem to think are some of the things that annoy metalheads the most. I would bet these are common enough that one of these bothers you the most when listening to that one piece of crap album you can't stand.

Vote and back it up with some explanations! I'll not vote until some others do it, just cause I do that a lot.

-------------
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.

Replies:
Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 9:20pm
I voted for gratuitous soloing.

Posted By: The Block
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 10:20pm
I can stand almost anything in metal...except pig squeals. They annoy the crap out of me, and I refuse to listen to anything with them.

-------------

Posted By: The Angry Scotsman
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 11:35pm
hmmmm of course most of these can be bad depending on how its used/how blatant

But my vote has to be pig squeals.
I can tolerate a lot but that is honestly a deal breaker. Even IF I was liking the music that would make me turn it off instantly. Fuckin pig squeals.

Drum Machines may be #2. Again, depending on how bad it may range from kind of annoying to  I can't stand it.

-------------
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Same here.  The odd solo is fine, but every song doesn't call for one.

That's my choice from the list, but I'd say the vocalist in general is often more of a deal breaker.  Be confident in your voice, but don't try to push it too far or not at all.  There are both melodic and growl-based vocalists that this could apply to.

Also bands that don't strive to have a sound of their own.  You don't need to break new ground, but don't follow the latest trends or settle for reusing cliches.

-------------
https://armchairmaestro.com/" rel="nofollow - My Music Blog

Posted By: adg211288
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 1:23am
There is several up there worth a vote, but I had to go for...

Pig

The intros/transitions option is a close second though.

-------------
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
https://premium.gg2u.org?referrer=adg211288" rel="nofollow - GG2U

https://adamsfilmcorner.quora.com/" rel="nofollow - Adam's Film Corner on Quora

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 2:04am
Much as I love technicality.....there can be too much for it's own good.

I'm looking at you Meshuggah! Also every techdeath band LOL

-------------

Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 3:10am
I obviously went with pig squealing, which is probably the most annoying thing ever to me. But here are some comments on all the other options:

Cheesy synths (or synths with weird instruments): well, I have no problems with synths in metal per se, so it's not an all-or-nothing thing. But, yes, if the keyboardist decides to pick something from the soundbank that I consider cheesy - and especially if the synths are too dominant in the, then I tend to get allergic reactions.

Fadeout endings: I've never had problems with fadeout endings.

Intro/Narration/Transition tracks: this is really a case-by-case thing. With intros and transition tracks, I do not mind if I think that they are good and stuff like that, but if it seems to obvious to me that it's really just filler material, then I tend to skip through them. As for narration, I often think that is is pointless, and that it easily becomes very cheesy - especially narration voicing over the music. But then again, there are cases where narration or spoken word works perfectly, and then I appreciate it of course. There are other cases where it is so ridiculously cheesy that it becomes appreciable in a sort of kitschy and campy fashion.

Gratuitous soloing: I don't mind a lot of guitar solos, but, of course, I prefer variation so it is not just shredding all the way.

Extensive vamping and same chord progressions: if it works, it works, and sometimes this approach works very well, so I actually do not mind this (especially not when it serves to sort of build up a tune) - except of it's overdone, of course.

Production that's too loud: well, if the entire album is mastered such that it is loud, then I just turn down the volume - so no problem there. But if it is a case of some instruments being too loud in the mix, then it can be a problem.

Genre hopping: no problem. Metal is a bastard child created from many different genres anyway.

Samples (of movies, speeches etc.): again this really depends on how it's done. In some cases, the sample just fits the track perfectly, in which case I love it. That being said, I always skip through all the intro samples on "Necroticism" so I can get to the music itself.

Blastbeats through the entire song: I think that blastbeats lose their brutality if they are used too much, so, I guess that blastbeats through the entire song would be a dealbreaker for me..... except in microsongs of course.

Reliance on breakdowns: if the breakdowns are crushingly heavy or have other qualities to them that I appreciate, then I have no problems with a lot of breakdowns. Also, I do not hate metalcore.

Drum machines/obvious synth instruments: okay, this can get to me - especially the drum machines. I prefer human drummers. However, I do not mind some electronica elements, or electronic drum beats and other things like that every now and then.

Frequent time changes: love it

Songs that are too long/too short: well, I don't mind long songs or short songs, but there's a 'too' in the question, which kind of already provides the answer.

Overt technicality: I don't mind a lot of technicality. However, there are cases where the technicality is so central that other elements become disturbing. Take Braindrill, for instance, where the music is so technical that the vocals actually end up being the annoying part - Braindrill would, I think, be much better if they were an instrumental outfit.

Poor mixing: yeah, if some instruments are too dominant, then mixing issues can become dealbreakers.

-------------

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 6:07am
As a massive Spinal Tap fan, everything on that list is metal to me, so no problems with any of them - unless done badly. Gratuitous soloing is part of it - and even done badly, can add to the overall effect - it's not the details, it's the overall package that makes or breaks a metal song for me.

I think the one thing that breaks the deal for me more often than not is half-assedness.

Any metal band that doesn't commit itself 110% to what it's trying to achieve shouldn't get out of bed in my opinion. If you're gonna do half a solo, don't bother. If you're gonna lay down a vocal track that wouldn't frighten a goose, get someone else in. If you're gonna try a different style, go all the way, don't compromise because you're frightened you might scare your fans off.

Do Classical - but do it with swagger - ham it up, annoy the crap out of the purists. Churn out the same, tired cycles of fifths, and no-one in metaldom will forgive you, unless your name is Yngwie Malmsteen - and even then, you'll be left with a hardcore following rather than genre-wide credibility.

Troo Metal does not compromise - it doesn't turn up to 10 when 11 is available, it doesn't stick with 4/4 if it wants to get crazy with time sigs - it piles straight into 65/64 or some other extreme - but it doesn't have to.

Metal can rest assured that as long as it pushes as hard as it can, then even a crappy singer can cut across well if he's putting in everything he's got and then some (e.g. early Holocaust), a rubbish guitarist can be impressive if the volume isn't compromised (Blue Cheer), and a sloppy drummer who hasn't even got around to setting up his kit, let alone playing it really can be in one of the World's most successful metal bands (Metallica).

Troo Metal can even be slathered in glitter and spandex, wear 9" heels and outrageously permed hair, but 8" heels, tight jeans and a light poodle frizz just won't convince anyone.

Metal to the MAX!!! Wink

Posted By: Wilytank
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 6:51am
I voted for reliance of breakdowns.  It's the reason why I do not like most deathcore.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

I voted for reliance of breakdowns.  It's the reason why I do not like most deathcore.

Indeed. A breakdown once in a while is awesome shit, but one in every song..(or multiple!) is just too damn much.
My brothers, originally, death metal band went that route and caused him to leave. LOL

-------------

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 6:33pm
Pig squeals. By farPig

-------------
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: Xaxaar
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 2:17am
When they start rapping.  So metal! Headbanger  Ermm

-------------

Posted By: cannon
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 7:44am
When I think of drum machines I think of disco, synth pop, dance pop, techno and electro. Maybe it's my age but the use of a drum machine in metal is blasphemy. I know there is few artists that use it like Ministry which I've never heard.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

When I think of drum machines I think of disco, synth pop, dance pop, techno and electro. Maybe it's my age but the use of a drum machine in metal is blasphemy. I know there is few artists that use it like Ministry which I've never heard.

What about one man bands who can't play real drums?

-------------

Posted By: Xaxaar
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 4:22pm

And Ziltoid?  Don't know how you could dislike that album.  I think if it's done well it can be just as good.

-------------

Posted By: cannon
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 6:52pm

Hey guys, sounds very "synthetic" to my ears. Too techno polished for me. I will say that for a musician(s) that don't have a drummer it's a great thing. Back in the day for hard rock(metal) bands to incorporate programmable electronics was unheard of, of course there was exceptions like the Mellotron and other electronics when recording but to have no drummer that was like hell freezing over.  I guess I'm from the old school and I'm always behind trying to keep up to the insane acceleration of technology.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 8:51pm
Maybe Mirrorthrone was a bad example...

-------------

Posted By: Murphy
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 3:29am
^^^ I always thought Summoning did it pretty well.

A pet hate of mine is genre hopping. I like when bands fuses other genres into their music, but when shits flitting all over the place, passing it off the next best thing in avant-garde, it tends to grate on my nerves. Will not mention names since some of the ones I'm thinking of seem to highly rated here.  

-------------
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton

Posted By: King Manuel
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 12:02pm
Voted for "other". I can�t stand the fusion of (metal)bands with a symphony orchestra. I either want metal or a classic symphony. The last Blind Guardian output is an example of that mixture that I find highly irritating.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Murphy Murphy wrote:

A pet hate of mine is genre hopping. I like when bands fuses other genres into their music, but when shits flitting all over the place, passing it off the next best thing in avant-garde, it tends to grate on my nerves. Will not mention names since some of the ones I'm thinking of seem to highly rated here.  

Just wait, I'm adding Naked City later LOL

Posted By: Murphy
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 4:17am

Angry  I think you should reconsider such a decision Tongue

nah, they got eYe ripping shit up; Torture Garden gets lukewarm appreciation in my house hold. PainKiller coming soon too?

-------------
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 11:43am

Angry  I think you should reconsider such a decision Tongue

nah, they got eYe ripping shit up; Torture Garden gets lukewarm appreciation in my house hold. PainKiller coming soon too?

Yep, although from what I hear they were already here, then for some reason got deleted when Matt (a_person) told them to fix something about the bio.  Whatever.

For Naked City I probably won't be tagging everything metal anyway.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 11:48am
Zorn eh? I know it's called grindcore but we know better...that has to be avant metal rite? 

-------------

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 2:30am

DT LOL

-------------
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris

Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 3:04am
Pig squeals

-------------
http://www.lyngby-boldklub.dk/" rel="nofollow - Forever TRUE - Forever BLUE!
https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 3:47am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Pig squeals

I either saw you post this already or I foresaw it LOL

-------------

Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 6:32am
I probably did, but this is an old thread, and I didn´t go through it to see if I posted already LOL

-------------
http://www.lyngby-boldklub.dk/" rel="nofollow - Forever TRUE - Forever BLUE!
https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Posted By: Unitron
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 10:50am
Cheesy Synth and Gratuitous Soloing (I'm looking at you Dream Theater)

Picked Cheesy Synth because nobody chose it yet Tongue  

-------------
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 11:59am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I probably did, but this is an old thread, and I didn´t go through it to see if I posted already LOL

Yes, this thread is an old one. I went through it earlier and saw that you hadn't posted anything on it Shocked

-------------

Posted By: LittleBig
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 4:37am
several from this list:

fade outs - especially when there is a solo of either guitar or synths; then you hear a live version of a song and it sounds... well, more thorough if I may say so...

technicality alone is not enough

pig squeals - whoever thought those are good?!

narration can be pretty awful at times, very few exceptions - for instance Jeff Waynes - War of the Worlds, but when you got Richard Burton as narrator... (LOL), it would be rather awful to screw that up 

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 8:19am
No deal breakers for me. Any element of music is fair game if it's used effectively. If i had to name a deal breaker than i would be bad compositional planning. Even pig squeals can be used to great effect but if it's a whole album of samey uninspired songs with them then forget it. I guess lack of inspiration is the closest thing. Sometimes an album clearly works and sometimes it doesn't. 

-------------

Posted By: Vim Fuego
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:46am
Cheesy synths.

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 12:44pm
Drum machines. Wouldn't knowingly buy an album that uses one instead of a real drummer.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Drum machines. Wouldn't knowingly buy an album that uses one instead of a real drummer.

Not even something like Godflesh?

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I don't know their stuff very well to be honest. 

I might be biased though being a drummer myself.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:34pm

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I don't know their stuff very well to be honest. 

I might be biased though being a drummer myself.

I listen to a lot of drum machine grindcore, where admittedly a lot of the time the drum machine is simply a fancy metronome.

Posted By: adg211288
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 2:51pm
Old poll. I know from my old post I voted for pig squeals before but I actually wish I could change my vote to Other. Pig squeals are still a deal breaker but they're mostly used in genres I've little interest in anyway, so I think a bigger deal breaker for me is the unlisted rapping. I really have no tolerance for that in my metal and I really hate it when bands who play genres that aren't usually associated with using rapping decide to throw some in. I can make the conscious decision to not listen to stuff like rap metal and nu metal. I don't want to hear symphonic metal bands inviting rappers to guest on their music. I'm looking at Within Temptation here. I never play the CD of their last album anymore because of that song they did with Xzibit. It wasn't even as bad as it could have been. But every time I consider playing that CD I recall that song and just think 'nope!' and pick something else. I know I could skip it, but that's how much of a deal breaker rapping is for me. It completely turns me off returning to that CD. 

-------------
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
https://premium.gg2u.org?referrer=adg211288" rel="nofollow - GG2U

https://adamsfilmcorner.quora.com/" rel="nofollow - Adam's Film Corner on Quora

Posted By: Psydye
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:10pm
I would say pig squeals but I actually haven't heard that much metal w/ them in it so really can't say. I went w/ other, however, as I am NOT a fan of unintelligible grunting(as in brutal death metal) and generic growling(as in most modern tech death). It just just doesn't do anything for me. This is why I am a fan of a lot of the old school stuff....a lot of death metal vocalists actually sounded DIFFERENT from each other...and were also a bit intelligible! Nowadays it's all the same and doesn't sound intelligible.

Posted By: DippoMagoo
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Old poll. I know from my old post I voted for pig squeals before but I actually wish I could change my vote to Other. Pig squeals are still a deal breaker but they're mostly used in genres I've little interest in anyway, so I think a bigger deal breaker for me is the unlisted rapping. I really have no tolerance for that in my metal and I really hate it when bands who play genres that aren't usually associated with using rapping decide to throw some in. I can make the conscious decision to not listen to stuff like rap metal and nu metal. I don't want to hear symphonic metal bands inviting rappers to guest on their music. I'm looking at Within Temptation here. I never play the CD of their last album anymore because of that song they did with Xzibit. It wasn't even as bad as it could have been. But every time I consider playing that CD I recall that song and just think 'nope!' and pick something else. I know I could skip it, but that's how much of a deal breaker rapping is for me. It completely turns me off returning to that CD. 

You'd think rap would be a deal breaker for me as well, since I generally can't stand the genre on its own, but I actually have no problem with rap vocals in metal, for some reason. That Within Temptation song is actually one of my favorites on that album LOL

As far as my vote, it's tough to say, because nothing listed is technically a deal breaker, in that either I enjoy albums in spite of them, or I just don't listen to anything with them anyway (pig squeals, for example.) I think narration is probably the worst for me, especially when used poorly or excessively, like on the latest Rebellion album, but even then I can sometimes tolerate it if it's done properly. Poor mixing is similar, in that it can bother me, but I've enjoyed plenty of albums in the past in spite of it. I'm actually fan of "cheesy synths" and "Gratuitous soloing", of course. 

Posted By: Unitron
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

I would say pig squeals but I actually haven't heard that much metal w/ them in it so really can't say. I went w/ other, however, as I am NOT a fan of unintelligible grunting(as in brutal death metal) and generic growling(as in most modern tech death). It just just doesn't do anything for me. This is why I am a fan of a lot of the old school stuff....a lot of death metal vocalists actually sounded DIFFERENT from each other...and were also a bit intelligible! Nowadays it's all the same and doesn't sound intelligible.

Completely agree, old school death metal was the best. Wish there were more new bands that kept the old school death metal spirit alive in all of it's unique, raw, and gritty glory.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12875" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12875
The bloke in the video I posted in this thread talks some good sense about pig squeals and why they're so widely used. I know nothing about the technical side of music. Hell, I've never got past Yankee Doodle on the guitar!LOL Even so, this fella makes it interesting, and even mostly intelligible, to a musical cretin like me.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk