Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.MetalMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16319
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 5:59pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why the F**k have I got this?
Posted By: Vim Fuego
Subject: Why the F**k have I got this?
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:00pm
Since I'm currently only able to listen to music on my local machine while working due to lack of bandwidth, I have notice I have a shitload of albums from bands I don't really like. Most of these came from my younger brother. We have some musical taste overlaps (he's been to see Iron Maiden, Metallica, AC/DC, NOFX, and Alice Cooper with me), but then there are a lot of things which veer off wildly. He gave me a huge dump of mp3s from his music collection, and I have never really weeded them out.

What I thought I might do, for my personal amusement, and hopefully to generate some discussion, is go through these albums while I have the opportunity, and then express my opinions on them. Please be warned: some may not be very polite, and might be offensive to any sensitive souls out there. I'm not meaning to hurt anyone's feelings or attack them personally, it's just me being a dick with what might be some really shitty music. Then again, I might discover a few things I actually like!

First off is !Dos! by Green Day. I suppose it's there because it starts with a symbols (one of those upside down exclamation marks, which I could probably figure out how to do on my keyboard if I really wanted...)

Replies:
Posted By: Unitron
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:21pm
What a start lol, I remember nobody liking that trilogy of Green Day albums back when they came out. Never heard them myself, last album I listened to them by them was 21st Century Breakdown which was pretty bad.

-------------
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:50pm
OK, !Dos! is a keeper. It doesn't have any instant classics, but the music is quite varied and not near as annoying as I thought it might be.

Next comes !Tre!:
It hasn't got off to a good start. This first track is complete shit!

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:00am
Nah, !Tre! can fuck off! There's nothing there I will miss. I got to the third song and started skipping through the rest. Samey, overproduced pop-punk schlock!

And finally, !Uno!

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:11am
Nah, fuck it. !Uno is going the same way, for the same reasons!

Right, what's next?

Oh, fuck me, more Green Day!Dead This is older shit from 1990, before they caught big-budget-rockstaritis...

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:26am
OK, much better. A bit dirtier sounding. Even in the early days, these guys had the melodies and vocal harmonies they later got famous for. They just didn't have the songs. Keeping.

Posted By: adg211288
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:51am
Interesting thread. I'm pretty sure I have a few mp3 albums in a similar boat. Mine will be promos I downloaded but never had time for though. 

-------------
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
https://premium.gg2u.org?referrer=adg211288" rel="nofollow - GG2U

https://adamsfilmcorner.quora.com/" rel="nofollow - Adam's Film Corner on Quora

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:49am
Back to it...

System of a Down is a band I don't actually hate, but I didn't really know them when I got this.

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:08pm
OK, that was worth 3 stars at least. Keeping.
Loading up two more SOAD demos so I don't have to come back to the music player quite so often. (I am technically supposed to be working...) I'm expecting these to be pretty good because the first one was.

Posted By: Bosh66
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:22pm
Can’t be too many of those original demo tapes about, I wouldn’t have thought?

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

Can’t be too many of those original demo tapes about, I wouldn’t have thought?

I have no idea where my brother got these, but he's a bit of a completist. Someone somewhere has digitised 'em. And those were both well worth a listen.

This next one is SOAD again, and looks a bit... bootleggy? We certainly don't have it listed.
http://www.last.fm/music/System+of+a+Down/12th+Annual+KROQ+Almost+Acoustic+Christmas" rel="nofollow - https://www.last.fm/music/System+of+a+Down/12th+Annual+KROQ+Almost+Acoustic+Christmas

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 2:17pm
As far as bootlegs go, that was pretty fucking good. Decent sound quality, and Serj Tankian is an excellent sings - bootlegs often show up dodgy ones.

More fucking Green Day, because this damn album starts with a number. I don't remember ever listening to this in it's entirety.

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 3:31pm
That was a keeper, although 21 Guns is such a shit song.
Onto this:

Not a band I hate as such, just one I've never bothered to check out.

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 5:02pm
OK, so I didn't find Black Label Society terribly exciting... Keeping it, but it's not something I'll listen to often.

Next comes a bit of Devin Townsend. This was surprising to get from my brother because I really didn't think he'd be in to such a thing. As with BLS, I have never listened to it properly.

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

OK, so I didn't find Black Label Society terribly exciting... Keeping it, but it's not something I'll listen to often.

The first two albums are their best imo, but Black Label Society is one of those bands where they don't really change their sound. It's the songwriting that makes their albums differ, so I don't know if you'd feel similar about those.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 7:40pm
OK, Devin Townsend was alright, but not the sort of thing I'd listen to a lot. Gotta say I prefer Strapping Young Lad or the Ziltoid album.

I really don't much like KISS. I see them as a triumph of marketing over genuine substance. My brother loves them. The four solo albums were a bit of a gimmick, and I used to have his old copies on vinyl, but sold them. I have also heard that Ace's album was the best of the lot. I gotta say I love the song "New York Groove", but haven't really listened to the rest of this.

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 8:18pm
Ace was pretty fucking decent! A good chunk of solid 70s rock! Gonna give it a 4.

Now, more Devin Townsend:

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 9:09pm
Devin Townsend, fucking awesome! Loved that album!

Next up is Aerosmith. I got Pump way back in the day, and thought it was a bit meh. Maybe I needed to go right back to the start? I'll soon find out.

Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 11:54am
Now I think I get Aerosmith. The big budget overblown shit came later in their career. This was fucking good! First time I had heard the original version of Mama Kin.

I was never one for guitar heroes, so I don't know what I'll think about this:

Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 12:26pm
OK, not near as wanky as I thought it might be! Keeping, and rated it 3.

Back to KISS. I have heard KISS fans say that Alive II is their best album, and one of the all-time great live albums. I am skeptical... I shall find out.

Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 1:27pm
I suppose you had to be there... Goodbye KISS Alive II, I will not be requiring your services any longer.

I don't suppose Alive III is much better? I'll give it a go first.

Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 2:38pm

Now I think I get Aerosmith. The big budget overblown shit came later in their career. This was fucking good! First time I had heard the original version of Mama Kin.

I always imagine that his kid must look back on Ya Yo Gack or whatever it's called with utter embarrassment. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I always imagine that his kid must look back on Ya Yo Gack or whatever it's called with utter embarrassment. 

It's not a bad song, except for the silly baby talk.

Anyway, Kiss Alive III is a HUGE improvement on Alive II. The filler ratio has been reduced, and the production values are better. I'm keeping it. Alive! is the next album on the list to explore, but I'm all KISS'ed out for now. I might come back to it if I remember. Time for a completely different pile of poo:

I hate f'kin' Slipknot with a vengeance, so this might not last long...

Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 3:43pm
OK, truly pathetic. I got as far as the sixth track, which is about five more than I initially would have thought. It's so feeble it's not even annoying. It inspires indifference. I was considering keeping it and writing a flaming review of it, since the album has none, but I can't even work up the motivation to do that. Deleting, and if I ever find the inspiration to write that review, I'll do it off Spotify.

Now, I love Alice Cooper, but I never got round to listening to much past Trash and a few of the 70s albums. My dear brother though, he collected everything. So giving this a first full listen.Smile

Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 4:45pm
Good old Alice. Not vital or particularly impressive, but solid. A keeper.

The next one is a RATM bootleg... er, unauthorised recording, I mean.
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/rage-against-the-machine/americas-most-wanted/" rel="nofollow - http://rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/rage-against-the-machine/americas-most-wanted/

I don't really like RATM, so this might not last long either.

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 4:48pm

I suppose you had to be there... Goodbye KISS Alive II, I will not be requiring your services any longer.

Never understood the fuss made over the first 2 Kiss live albums, especially the first one. I thought they were both pretty weak. Must admit I've not heard this one though.

Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Never understood the fuss made over the first 2 Kiss live albums, especially the first one. I thought they were both pretty weak. Must admit I've not heard this one though.

I think they both suffer from KISS' career long inconsistency. I have even heard a KISS fan say you'll only get a couple of good songs per album. By 1993, they had released enough albums to find enough decent songs for a consistent live show. It would be cool to see live, but then you'd have to put up with the Kiss Army too.LOL

Anyway, the RATM bootleg wasn't a good idea. Why did I think I would want to listen to songs I don't like, played a bit out of tune (well, sung out of tune. The rest of the band are pretty fucking tight!), and badly recorded? Bye bye America's Most Wanted.

And here's another surprise: Queensryche. Yes, I have Operation: Mindcrime, and I have heard a couple of the early albums, and I have a greatest hits CD somewhere, but I have never given these guys much more of a listen than that. Let's see how this goes.

Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 6:45pm
That Queensryche album was really fucking good. 3.5.

Aaand... back to KISS (FFS...) I gotta say I haven't even HEARD of this album, let alone heard anything ON it:

Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 7:32pm
That was actually a pleasant surprise. Not a great album by any means, but a genuine heavy metal album, and not the usual pop rock crap. I won't listen to it often, but it can stay.

I have heard bits and pieces from this, but never sat through the whole thing:

Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 8:04pm

That was actually a pleasant surprise. Not a great album by any means, but a genuine heavy metal album, and not the usual pop rock crap. I won't listen to it often, but it can stay.

Now, I'm curious. I've never heard it, but if it's anything like Creatures of the Night (as in Kiss making a metal album), I'd probably enjoy it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and sorry about the Slipknot picture. I gave it some better quality cover art, not that it'll make it a better album. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Now, I'm curious. I've never heard it, but if it's anything like Creatures of the Night (as in Kiss making a metal album), I'd probably enjoy it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and sorry about the Slipknot picture. I gave it some better quality cover art, not that it'll make it a better album. LOL

No problem. I have broken several of my own pictures in the past few days updating them.Big smile

Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 11:33am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

He he I think he is cute. On topic I love this EP. Especially Bad Horsie and of course the amazing Tender Surrender...the latter is probably my favorite Steve Vai song. Try watching some of the live videos of that song on Youtube...crazy shit, but still very melodic....and of course Vai has time to run his fingers through his his, lick his fingers, and play wih his right han on the fretboard instead of his left hand. The man is a phenomenon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw74sDWPH7U" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw74sDWPH7U

-------------
http://www.lyngby-boldklub.dk/" rel="nofollow - Forever TRUE - Forever BLUE!
https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Posted By: LittleBig
Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Animalize is listenable, decent, but it's no Creatures of the Night, which IMO is one of the band's best works. 

Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 3:45pm

Great debut album. The next 3 were even better.

Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 9:52pm

I'll check 'em out when I get that far. I'm pleased I'm discovering some decent music here, and it's not all just shit like I thought it would be.

Posted By: LittleBig
Date Posted: 18 May 2020 at 3:14am

I'll check 'em out when I get that far. I'm pleased I'm discovering some decent music here, and it's not all just shit like I thought it would be.

70s Aerosmith is great, the only albums really worth checking out. 

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:58am
Right, back into it!

Another band I really don't have much time for. It's a bit of a surprise to see my brother had this.

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 12:14pm
Nah, fuck that shit. Mediocre, pedestrian, and utterly fucking boring! It's going!

Now, I like Die Toten Hosen in general, but I basically only know their Learning English albums Now playing this:

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 1:59pm
Like I thought. Didn't disappoint. A keeper.

Unfortunately, I found more Lamb of God. Those vocals are fucking terrible so far!

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 2:12pm
Nope. It's gone. That fucking singer wants to be Phil Anselmo but hasn't got the power or range.

Aaaand, I discovered some more KISS...

Oh man, that's a fucking AWFUL album cover!Shocked

Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 2:23pm
Yeah It´s definitely the vocals which ruin Lamb of God. Otherwise it´s actually some pretty decent music with some great heavy grooves. The singer though....nah.

-------------
http://www.lyngby-boldklub.dk/" rel="nofollow - Forever TRUE - Forever BLUE!
https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Yeah It´s definitely the vocals which ruin Lamb of God. Otherwise it´s actually some pretty decent music with some great heavy grooves. The singer though....nah.

I wasn't terribly impressed with the music either, but that's just me.

Anyway, bye bye Asylum. That's 38 minutes I'm not getting back. That was so fucking inconsistent, even for KISS!

And back to the Green Day again.Ouch Let's see if this lives up to it's title? I'm thinking not...

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Yeah, I don't like Blythe's vocals either, also seems like a douchebag from what I've read. Makes Lars look like a saint regarding priacy. Granted, I have mixed opinions on piracy, but regardless there's better ways to express it. I think Chris Adler is a great drummer though, wish he stuck with Megadeth, especially considering he's out of LoG now.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 4:32pm
Awesome as Fuck is definitely overselling the Green Day live album. Mildly Diverting as Fuck might be more appropriate. And I really HATE 21 Guns! Keeping it though.

Right, for the very last "Why the f**k have I got this?" album starting with A, back to Die Toten Hosen again:

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 6:25pm
Not quite as exciting as I might have hoped...

Time for some Ozzy. I really never too that much notice of Ozzy's solo career.

I may well have heard this before, but other than the title track I don't recognise any of the song titles. Oh yes, and So Tired.

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 7:49pm
Not the best Ozzy album, but I'll keep it.

I have two RATM live bootlegs, a live DVD, and a studio album. Having just sampled the bootlegs, I'm gonna delete them:
The Battle of Indio - https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-682954358-rage-against-the-machine-the-battle-of-indio-cd-_JM
The Battle of Dusseldorf - https://www.last.fm/music/Rage+Against+the+Machine/The+Battle+of+Dusseldorf
And fuck this:

And this:

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 7:51pm
And also this:

For a band that started out as Metallica clones, this is fucking pathetic. It's a pop album. Not even pop rock. Utter shit.

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 8:01pm
There's nothing like a bit of Frank to stretch your mind a bit. I haven't listened to this particular album right through.

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 12:29pm
Frank is definitely a keeper, although not always (ever?) an easy listen.

I got bored with the start of the alphabet, so I've zoomed down to Z. And surprise, surprise, ZZ Top.LOL
I grew up with 80s ZZ Top, the stuff like Eliminator and Afterburner. I have never given the old stuff much thought. And it doesn't get any older than this.

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 12:33pm
Love a bit of ZZ Top. First album is very different to Eliminator. You enjoy it?

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 1:05pm
Keeper!
And next... Well, fuck. I changed ends of the alphabet so I might get different bands, and what do I get? Die Toten Hosen again!LOL

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 1:07pm

Love a bit of ZZ Top. First album is very different to Eliminator. You enjoy it?

Certainly did.Smile I've heard the odd bit of their older stuff, but never listened properly.

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 1:38pm
I could start a project like this - but for physical CDs. A few years ago I bought someone's whole collection on ebay. Sold the doubles and made most of what I paid for them back and for what I kept I paid just £0.18 per album. 

There were a few gems in that lot. Like Agalloch's The Mantle, many Rage albums, Anathema's death-doom stuff, the first four Empyrium albums and some other stuff right up my alley.

There was also a lot of stuff from bands I wouldn't normally have checked out. Some stuff I thought was okay but never listened to again and some stuff I didn't even like, but still own. There's also a couple of live albums from bands I like but never even listened to. 

I should really go through all of these again as well as a number of small job lots I bought (I had a thing about blind buying ebay job lots of CDs at one point, especially black metal ones). 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 2:05pm
I made a cull of my physical collection 3 or 4 years back. I sold some vinyl I wish I hadn't now.Unhappy Got rid of some really shit CDs though.

Anyway, that Die Toten Hosen album wasn't that exciting, but it can stay.

Next is Alice Cooper again. I don't recognise any of the song titles here. And this is a fucking terrible album cover!

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 2:43pm
Musically, that Alice Cooper album is excellent. Unfortunately, it seems like Alice was trying too hard to be weird with the lyrics. Some of those songs are just stupid.

OK, Zappa again, but this time it's Dweezil playing Frank. I actually discovered Dweezil Zappa before I even knew who Frank Zappa was, way back when I was a teenager. I still like his My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama album. And I do intend to add him here one day. I just need to find the time.

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 4:00pm

There's nothing like a bit of Frank to stretch your mind a bit. I haven't listened to this particular album right through.

Frank is great! I have tons of his stuff in my collection. Mid 70's is his best era for me. Assuming they'd be something on there from then.

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 4:21pm

Frank is great! I have tons of his stuff in my collection. Mid 70's is his best era for me. Assuming they'd be something on there from then.

I don't know what eras the songs came from. It's all rather mind-expanding!

And the Zappa Plays Zappa is great too. I didn't realise it was a live album. I knew Zappa the Younger is quite an accomplished musician in his own right, but not quite HOW accomplished!

Next is some NIN. I've never properly been past The Downward Spiral and Pretty Hate Machine.

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 5:21pm
I'm not going to miss that NIN album. Boring! Goodbye!

Some more ZZ Top, but a bit more modern:

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 6:35pm
So that wasn't bad. I particularly like the song Made Into A Movie. Surprisingly dark sounding.

And now back to some more Lamb of God. I don't know if this will last very long either...

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 7:37pm
Well that was surprisingly good! I didn't think I'd do this, but I'm keeping a LoG album!

Now for something completely different:

I only know a few songs by these guys.

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 8:04pm
Yeah, nah. Didn't like it. It's gone.

Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 8:42am

I don't know what eras the songs came from. It's all rather mind-expanding!

And the Zappa Plays Zappa is great too. I didn't realise it was a live album. I knew Zappa the Younger is quite an accomplished musician in his own right, but not quite HOW accomplished!

Just had a check of the track listing. It's mainly 70's featuring his more commercial songs but great stuff nevertheless.

I have a live Zappa Plays Zappa DVD, it's awesome!

Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:59am
Right, back to this masochistic project...LOL

More NIN

Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:17pm
That’s an okay album I reckon. Not as good as the preceding album, The Fragile. You got that?

Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 1:05pm

That’s an okay album I reckon. Not as good as the preceding album, The Fragile. You got that?

I'm not sure. I'll have to wait til I get to the F section.Wink Anyway, With Teeth is actually pretty good. It's staying.

Back to these masked morons (pre-conceived ideas? Me? Never!LOL). Might not last long...

Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 1:14pm
That was quick, even for me. Second song and I'd had enough.

Time for some more Die Toten Hosen I haven't listened to:

Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 2:22pm
That wasn't the most gripping of albums, but it can stay.

I don't know how this will go, because I don't really like unplugged albums much, but there's a couple of decent looking song titles here.

Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 2:40pm
Gonna keep. Could be a lot worse, and there's some good versions there.

And of course, also under U, KISS Unmasked!

Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 3:27pm
Mostly boring, but I'll keep.

A bit more Ozzy time:

Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 4:35pm
OK, that's also not terribly exciting, but it can stay. I need to listen to some good music I actually know and like so I can concentrate on work, so this is on hold for the next few hours.Smile

Date Posted: 25 May 2020 at 11:55am
Here's one I reckon I'll enjoy. I have never listened to this right through:

Date Posted: 25 May 2020 at 3:02pm
That's a lot of Bon Scott era AC/DC! Well worth it.

This is an oddity I hadn't considered in full before:

Date Posted: 25 May 2020 at 3:34pm
Pleasant and inoffensive. Will keep, but won't listen to it much.

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 2:18pm
This might not last long. It's Lamb of God before they were Lamb of God.

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 2:28pm
And it didn't. Randy Blythe is an annoying cunt.

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 3:28pm
Since I'm in a Nirvana mood, here's one I forgot about:

Posted By: LightningRider
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 10:20am
Glad you liked Along Came a Spider.  I went on a huge Alice Cooper binge when I first started using forums.  I got through everything he had done up to that point, and Along ame a Spider was a pretty cool one.

-------------
And the Trogdor comes in the NIIIIGHT!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk