Print Page | Close Window

Popular Acts/Albums You Dislike?

Printed From: MetalMusicArchives.com
Category: Metal Music Lounges
Forum Name: Metal Music Lounge
Forum Description: General metal music discussions (no polls)
URL: http://www.MetalMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16309
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 11:12am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Popular Acts/Albums You Dislike?
Posted By: adg211288
Subject: Popular Acts/Albums You Dislike?
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:16am
Anyone here got a (metal) act or album that you know is well loved but you yourself dislike or even outright hate? Specifically stuff that would normally fall into your wheelhouse of taste that is - something you expected to like, yet didn't. 

I think for me the main act I always disliked is Pain of Salvation, though I admit it's been a long time since I tried any of their music. The band was a natural stepping stone on my journey through discovering progressive metal and I recall having extremely high expectations of them. But they do little to nothing for me and after trying three albums from them the final straw with them was finding that I enjoyed The Perfect Element Pt 1 the least of the three. 

Other albums that I know are well liked but I hated include:

Leprous - Bilateral 
Sepultura - Roots 

The latter of these is an album I initially liked but it wore thin for me pretty quick. 

-------------
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
https://premium.gg2u.org?referrer=adg211288" rel="nofollow - GG2U

https://adamsfilmcorner.quora.com/" rel="nofollow - Adam's Film Corner on Quora

Replies:
Posted By: LittleBig
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:27am
Another negative thread, people seem to like them, people like to complain, so what do I know... 

I agree with Roots, I lost interest, too, after repeated listens. The only Sepultura albums I enjoy are Beneath the Remains and Arise. 
I love Pain of Salvation, one of my favorite bands. 

I can't think how I can be useful with this thread, if I don't like a band, I don't complain about it, I just move on. There's so much music to explore and so little time, that is the problem that bothers me. 

Posted By: TheHeavyMetalCat
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:43am
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Another negative thread, people seem to like them, people like to complain, so what do I know...

Two things:

1. What other thread do you deem to be negative around here?
2. There is only one person complaining in this thread and that is you.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:47am
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

Two things:

1. What other thread do you deem to be negative around here?
2. There is only one person complaining in this thread and that is you.

Well, just recently the dumbest concept albums thread...
I'm complaining about people that like to complain, now that's funny.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:59am
I think maybe you need to lighten up. There's nothing especially negative about either this or that thread on concept album stories. I see this one as a genuinely curious question and other as providing a bit of amusement. Considering what's going on in the world right now it doesn't hurt to have a giggle about a stupidly amusing concept story.

As for my answer to this question, I think probably Burzum. The highest rating I have for Burzum is 4/5 on Hvis Lyset Tar Oss. My view of most of Burzum's stuff ranges from dislike to indifference.

Posted By: 666sharon666
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 7:05am

As for my answer to this question, I think probably Burzum. The highest rating I have for Burzum is 4/5 on Hvis Lyset Tar Oss. My view of most of Burzum's stuff ranges from dislike to indifference. 

It's Burzum for me too. My review for Filosofem will sum up why. Wink

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 7:16am
I enjoy Filosofem a fair bit more than you do Nicole, but it's still only a 3.5 album for me. Higher than most of my Burzum ratings.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 7:21am
I go up and down with Burzum. I've picked up several of his albums second hand but I don't play them often, despite having left ratings that might imply otherwise. I always feel like I'm selling a piece of my soul when I listen to Burzum, because of Varg the individual. When the right mood strikes I do enjoy his music though. I don't feel any inclination to own any more of it than I currently do though. 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 7:30am

I see this one as a genuinely curious question and other as providing a bit of amusement.

Exactly as they were intended. 

Per above, you've interpreted the intent behind this thread and the other one completely wrong. 

And there is not one word of complaint in my opening post! For your information. 

You're quite welcome to think up some new topics to post yourself if you have such a problem with mine...I'll leave that ball in your court. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 7:42am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I see this one as a genuinely curious question and other as providing a bit of amusement.

Exactly as they were intended. 

Per above, you've interpreted the intent behind this thread and the other one completely wrong. 

And there is not one word of complaint in my opening post! For your information. 

You're quite welcome to think up some new topics to post yourself if you have such a problem with mine...I'll leave that ball in your court. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. 

If I am misinterpreting your intent, my bad then. Usually these kind of threads get a lot of negativity, there are some on PA forum that went off rails IMO, but that still a rather big community, MMA is smaller, so I hope I am wrong then. 

Ok, challenge accepted, one thread coming up... 

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 7:46am
I don't actively partake in the PA forum so don't want to speak out of turn against their staff, but threads going off the rails is kind of what moderators are for. I presume they put an end to such threads but if not that's what should have happened. It's what we'd do here if a thread (regardless of who posted it) devolved into a match of who can throw the best insult. So you don't ever need to worry about that on MMA. 

-------------

Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:12am
Manowar have always rubbed me wrong (and it didn´t help watching them live in the late 90s. I´m still traumatized by that experience), but they are not really within a genre that I usually enjoy, so I´m not sure they reallly qualify.

-------------
http://www.lyngby-boldklub.dk/" rel="nofollow - Forever TRUE - Forever BLUE!
https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 9:11am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Manowar have always rubbed me wrong (and it didn´t help watching them live in the late 90s. I´m still traumatized by that experience), but they are not really within a genre that I usually enjoy, so I´m not sure they reallly qualify.

I used to like 80s Manowar for a little while but I lost interest rather quickly. Also over the years their music got less and less interesting to the point that I believe they became a parody of themselves. 

There is also the fact that the band did not have a public statement over the Logan pedophilia scandal, no shock, no criticism, no outrage about it, really? They just announced they had a new guitarist, that's all they did. They could have handle it better and differently. 
They have zero credibility now. 

Posted By: DippoMagoo
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 10:32am
I kinda agree on PoS, though I honestly have a love/hate relationship with them: I absolutely love Remedy Lane and Be, but Scarsick and In the Passing Light of Day are two of my absolute least favorite prog albums of all time. I also wasn't big on Leprous, when I tried them. Another big one is I really don't like much of what I've heard from Queensryche, and especially wasn't too impressed by Operation Mindcrime or Empire, which are two of their most popular albums.

As for power metal, I generally at least have some appreciation for most of the classics, and love most of the more popular modern albums, but one obvious example of the opposite, is I'm not too big into Angra in general, but I especially can't seem to get into their albums with Andre Matos, which a lot of people consider their best work. I even like his vocals a lot, but I just find those albums very boring musically.

Posted By: Vim Fuego
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 11:00am
As someone who used to be a newspaper reporter, I can tell you that bad news sells so much better than good news. People always say they WANT the good stuff, but an issue with a good car crash or massive fire on the front page always sold better than one with "Local man grows unusual-shaped turnip" or "Study shows red tractors really are better than blue tractors" (yeah, it wasn't a big city daily by any means, but still a daily!)

I could start on the bands I dislike, but that would be an enormous list. Meh, I usually hold it back a bit, so here's a few other people sometimes take issue with:
Burzum
Tool
Alice in Chains
Suffocation
Led Zeppelin
Korn
Slipknot
Opeth
KISS

Yeah, too easy...

Instead, here's a few albums from bands I generally like, but not these particular releases:
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast (it's been over-played. I'd rather listen to any other single Maiden album first!)
AC/DC - Black Ice (hang up your guitar Angus, or stick to the old stuff. Malcolm was the song writer)
Slayer - God Hates Us All (I have tried so many times! I just don't much like it)
Sepultura - Roots
Metallica  - Hardwired... To Self-destruct (Too easy to pick the black/Loads/St Anger. This generally gets positive reviews, but I hate it!)
Nirvana - Unplugged (I despise unplugged albums, but this is particularly awful!)
Annihilator - Set The World on Fire
D.R.I. - Thrash Zone (If you're going to call an album that, at least play thrashy songs, and not mid-paced plod!)
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven (Disjointed. I just don't like it.)

Yeah, that's probably enough...

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 11:11am

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I used to like 80s Manowar for a little while but I lost interest rather quickly. Also over the years their music got less and less interesting to the point that I believe they became a parody of themselves. 

There is also the fact that the band did not have a public statement over the Logan pedophilia scandal, no shock, no criticism, no outrage about it, really? They just announced they had a new guitarist, that's all they did. They could have handle it better and differently. 
They have zero credibility now. 

I don't think they had much credibility to start with, but even if they had said "we had no knowledge of what was going on, and we would like to distance ourselves from his actions" it would have helped. Saying nothing almost makes you suspect they knew something, but hadn't said.

It probably doesn't help their credibility that they had songs like this. Just listen to the stupid intro (it's 48 seconds):

Posted By: Unitron
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 5:10pm
Where is Roots well-liked? I've seen more dislike than like, online at least, personally I've always really liked it.

I'll skip bands from metal genres I tend to dislike, and just go for bands that I can't get into from my favorite metal genres or albums from bands I like:

Kreator (I like Extreme Aggression and the following few albums are okay, but beyond that I find them pretty meh. With their early stuff, their songwriting style just doesn't work with me, don't seem to have the same hooks that other similar thrash bands like Slayer and Destruction do. Their post 2000's stuff is too slickly produced and melodic death metal sounding for my tastes.)

Post-1988 Iron Maiden (I know this is really going against the grain, but to me it sounds like Iron Maiden followed the AC/DC method after Somewhere in Time. Sorry, just not a big enough Iron Maiden fan.)

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (Maybe it's from overplaying it when I was a teenager, but I can't take the majority of these songs anymore. Plus I think the band is at their best when playing electronic/hip-hop infused alt rock like on A Thousand Suns. Also I get sick of people thinking nu metal=Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit, they aren't the only bands to represent it, it's such a varied sub-genre!)

Slipknot - Iowa (I know Slipknot fans often hail this as their best album, but I've never been able to get into it. It lacks the variety of the self-titled and as much as I hate to say it, the lyrics do get in the way. They aren't cheesy, they aren't fun, they aren't intimidating, they're just BAD.)

Metallica - ...and Justice for All (Would be a fantastic album if I could hear the bass)

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (I really like Killing Yourself to Live, and Sabbra Cadabra has a great riff but I don't like the keyboard parts. Other than that it just bores me. I get the feeling they were trying to go for a prog rock sound, which might explain why I can't get into it.)

Living Colour - Vivid (Cult of Personality is a masterpiece of funk metal and metal in general, but everything else on this album pales in comparison. I think Time's Up and Stain are way better.)

Those are the first things to come to mind, off to the reverse thread.

-------------
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 5:26pm
Roots is Sepultura's biggest selling album, as far as I can see. It sold 2,000,000 copies, Chaos AD 1,500,000, Arise 1,000,000, and that's all I could find. So there's a few people like it.Wink

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Roots is Sepultura's biggest selling album, as far as I can see. It sold 2,000,000 copies, Chaos AD 1,500,000, Arise 1,000,000, and that's all I could find. So there's a few people like it.Wink

True, but it doesn't seem to get much love online from what I've seen. I'm probably just on the wrong sites (like rym, which I hate but love at the same time for discovering so much music from there)

-------------

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:38pm

I actually like that album. Don't LOOOOVE it but it is a pretty good alt metal album.

-------------

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:44pm
Can't get into Manowar. I used to hate Opeth but i've come around. Still have some issues though.

Some bands i like OK but find overated: Electric Wizard, Burzum, Ulcerate, Devin Townsend, Rosetta Stone, Tiamat, Mgla, Maudlin of the Well, Savatage etc

I can tolerate almost anything though. Can't even think of anyone else i just can't stand other than Manowar :D

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 9:24pm
Regarding Manowar, I love some good cheeseball metal and no album represents that better than Fighting the World:

I can understand why Manowar would turn some people off though lol

Another album I thought of is Nevermind. I think that's mostly from straight up overexposure everywhere, as there are a couple songs I do like from that album. I'd just much rather listen to anything off of Bleach or In Utero.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 2:42am
I have a couple of Manowar releases that I got when I bought someone's entire CD collection off of ebay. I think I listened to them once and then shelved them. 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 2:47am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Devin Townsend

I don't dislike him either but for such a major artist in whatever form he releases under I am surprised I never got into his music more. 

Back in 2011, I was still running and primarily reviewing for Heavy Metal Haven at the time, I remember well what a big deal among the community the release of Deconstruction was. I was never able to get why that was. I enjoyed the album, but found it to have many issues that capped it at a 4 star for me, which is the highest I've ever given anything by Townsend. 

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Mgla

I'm more set against Mgla because of how many people run Uada down for being a Mgla clone which I just don't find to have a grain of truth to it. 

-------------

Posted By: Bosh66
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 2:53am
Against the grain of most on this site, but Slayer really never did it for me. Can't put my finger on it.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 3:08am
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

Against the grain of most on this site, but Slayer really never did it for me. Can't put my finger on it.

Same Chris although they have a few songs I do like here and there.

But thrash has never been my main interest so I don't think it that outlandish that I don't rate Slayer too much. 

Controversial and off topic opinion: even though I hold respect for the Big 4 during their classic period, I don't think that in general they did much to cement that legacy after the start of the 90s. Slayer's the only one who didn't at some point abandon thrash. 

That always struck me as ironic since many (especially younger) metalheads hold thrash up as the 'truest' form of metal, but the Big 4 mostly explored other avenues with Anthrax jumping on the groove band wagon and Metallica and Megadeth trying out more commercial heavy metal and hard rock sounds. These bands did eventually return to thrash (an on/off relationship for Metallica), but only after every single one of them had released at least one album that was disliked or even maligned by fans. And that seems to apply to Slayer too looking at their RYM averages. 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Where is Roots well-liked? I've seen more dislike than like, online at least, personally I've always really liked it.

RYM seem to like it. Lowest rated Max album, but still, it's got an average of over 3 and that's more than can be said for the the Derrick albums, only the new one of which has a higher average rating than Roots.

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/sepultura" rel="nofollow - https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/sepultura

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 9:26am
An average of 3.0+ is considered very good on RYM. I think they're, generally speaking, one of the most cynical communities online when it comes to giving music ratings. Or might be a bunch of snobs. Or they maybe just hate everything. 

like rym, which I hate but love at the same time for discovering so much music from there)

I mainly only use RYM now for cataloguing, backing up reviews, and charts. I've had a number of incidents of snide harassment from RYM'ers over my rating allocations, among other things including an unwarranted attack on my old website Heavy Metal Haven, and there isn't anyone on there that isn't also on MMA I want anything to do with. I sometimes leave genre votes if the release has none or few, but I'm finding the genre vote accuracy to be gradually getting worse. I swear most of them just vote like sheep. 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 11:35am

Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

Same Chris although they have a few songs I do like here and there.

But thrash has never been my main interest so I don't think it that outlandish that I don't rate Slayer too much. 

Controversial and off topic opinion: even though I hold respect for the Big 4 during their classic period, I don't think that in general they did much to cement that legacy after the start of the 90s. Slayer's the only one who didn't at some point abandon thrash. 

That always struck me as ironic since many (especially younger) metalheads hold thrash up as the 'truest' form of metal, but the Big 4 mostly explored other avenues with Anthrax jumping on the groove band wagon and Metallica and Megadeth trying out more commercial heavy metal and hard rock sounds. These bands did eventually return to thrash (an on/off relationship for Metallica), but only after every single one of them had released at least one album that was disliked or even maligned by fans. And that seems to apply to Slayer too looking at their RYM averages. 

A lot of Slayer fans hate both Undisputed Attitude and Diabolus in Musica, which I don't (I hate God Hates Us All which came next!Wink).

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 11:57am
I don't consider myself a Slayer fan, I listen to some of their albums, but Diabolus in Musica and GHAA are their weakest works IMO. And the only later day album of theirs I really enjoy is World Painted Blood. 

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 12:40pm

I don't consider myself a Slayer fan, I listen to some of their albums, but Diabolus in Musica and GHAA are their weakest works IMO. And the only later day album of theirs I really enjoy is World Painted Blood. 

Yes, Diabolus in Musica isn't amazing, but I don't hate it.

World Painted Blood is excellent. I didn't think much of Christ Illusion when it first came out, but I think it is also excellent. I haven't listened to Repentless near enough yet.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 2:35pm

Yes, Diabolus in Musica isn't amazing, but I don't hate it.

World Painted Blood is excellent. I didn't think much of Christ Illusion when it first came out, but I think it is also excellent. I haven't listened to Repentless near enough yet.

Well...I´m a huge Slayer fanboy, so I´m the type of guy who says they can do no wrong. Some thing are better than others, but they´ve never made anything really bad.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 4:25pm

RYM seem to like it. Lowest rated Max album, but still, it's got an average of over 3 and that's more than can be said for the the Derrick albums, only the new one of which has a higher average rating than Roots.

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/sepultura" rel="nofollow - https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/sepultura

That's true, and for a alt/nu metal album that's an excellent rating by rym standards.

An average of 3.0+ is considered very good on RYM. I think they're, generally speaking, one of the most cynical communities online when it comes to giving music ratings. Or might be a bunch of snobs. Or they maybe just hate everything. 

I mainly only use RYM now for cataloguing, backing up reviews, and charts. I've had a number of incidents of snide harassment from RYM'ers over my rating allocations, among other things including an unwarranted attack on my old website Heavy Metal Haven, and there isn't anyone on there that isn't also on MMA I want anything to do with. I sometimes leave genre votes if the release has none or few, but I'm finding the genre vote accuracy to be gradually getting worse. I swear most of them just vote like sheep. 

I like making lists, just for the fun of it, and there's a few nice people on there who genuinely love music but it's definitely a minority. It's almost like many of the users actually hate music, and only listen to certain music to boost their ego rather than actually enjoy anything.

The voting's horrible and incredibly inconsistent. 70's metal is a great example, there's a weird amount of people (Black Sabbath fanboys I'm assuming) who will vote down metal on anything early 70's or before that's not Sabbath and sometimes go to such lengths as creating spam accounts to do so. (Look at all the banned accounts with similar names that have voted down metal on a few Blue Cheer singles for proof) Also there's of course the classic "Oh they're most known for this genre, so all their releases must be!". There's countless examples of that.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 12:41am
Derrick Green fronted Sepultura (or Cavalera less Sepultura if you like) does finally seem to be gaining more acceptance with the last few albums. Personally I always preferred post-Roots Seps overall even though I acknowledge Beneath the Remains and Arise as pretty damn fine thrash albums. Overall they're a major hit and miss band for me but I am feeling like giving their albums some spins now and maybe checking out a few more of the gaps in my knowledge. To this day I've never heard Schizophrenia. Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 12:48am

The voting's horrible and incredibly inconsistent. 70's metal is a great example, there's a weird amount of people (Black Sabbath fanboys I'm assuming) who will vote down metal on anything early 70's or before that's not Sabbath and sometimes go to such lengths as creating spam accounts to do so. (Look at all the banned accounts with similar names that have voted down metal on a few Blue Cheer singles for proof) Also there's of course the classic "Oh they're most known for this genre, so all their releases must be!". There's countless examples of that.

It really bothers me that Satori only has Heavy Metal down as a secondary on it. If I had to pick one album to firmly place in 70s metal canon it would be that one. 

The trouble I've found with RYM more recently is that there are generally correct with their votes, often enough that when they do call something weird it can really throw you. That's why I always say if using it as an MMA resource now is to see if there are any comments on the votes. They are often more telling than the votes themselves. RYM'ers tend to hate someone trying to change the direction of a vote that has already gained support and will just vote against any changes blindly, regardless of comments left, yet not offer any argument themselves. 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 12:57am
Definitely, I also find individual track genre votes can be more telling as well. For example, all except Child in Time have a heavy metal primary on Deep Purple's In Rock and many comments are pointing that out and just saying make the album metal primary already. 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 1:55am
The only trouble with track by track votes is only a small amount of people use them. 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 4:13am

Derrick Green fronted Sepultura (or Cavalera less Sepultura if you like) does finally seem to be gaining more acceptance with the last few albums. Personally I always preferred post-Roots Seps overall even though I acknowledge Beneath the Remains and Arise as pretty damn fine thrash albums. Overall they're a major hit and miss band for me but I am feeling like giving their albums some spins now and maybe checking out a few more of the gaps in my knowledge. To this day I've never heard Schizophrenia. Embarrassed

Having seen Sepultura with Green fronting a couple of times in the last couple of years, have ignited my interest in the Green-era albums. My interest in Sepultura had originally ended with Chaos A.D. (I didn´t even listen to Roots before after some years after its release), so it wasn´t because Green became the vocliast that I wasn´t interested in their music anymore. It was their stylistic change which meant I wasn´t interested anymore back then. I´ve learned to accept and enjoy more groove oriented music more over the years though, and therefore I´ve begun to investigate the Green-era albums now.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 12:08pm

The only trouble with track by track votes is only a small amount of people use them. 

I think it's a relatively new addition (Don't remember it when I first joined), so hopefully over more time it'll get more populated.

Regarding Green-era Sepultura, I've only heard a few albums. I remember Against being pretty good, The Mediator bored me, and Machine Messiah was excellent and very eclectic. I haven't heard the new album, but I'm waiting for a Sepultura mood to hit.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 12:41pm
It is newer but it's been around long enough now that you'd think a few more would have picked up on it. 

A thing with RYM is that they've been working toward splitting their music and movie sides (as well as adding a gaming platform) into separate sites and features added to RYM itself seem to get overlooked. And these new sites seem to be taking forever to be properly launched. They've been going on about them for years now. 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 12:53pm
Most of the users don't seem to really care about the new platforms, and I get why. Honestly I think they should've just added video games to rym instead of splitting the three forms of entertainment into offshoots. Most people are probably going to just keep using rym anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 1:14pm
They won't as RYM will disappear once the other sites are formally launched. The ones that exist one are just beta sites. 

I haven't looked at them too much myself. The new sites have better filter options on charts which I look forward to making use of but aren't much use for now while the beta sites are based off of long out of data RYM data. 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 1:20pm
Oh, I didn't know they were planning on canning RYM by the time the sites are actually fully up and running. Guess I'll have to wait and see how the new sites function when they're finished, as of now I prefer RYM's layout. The extended chart options are definitely cool though.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 12:18am
We're going off topic here, but RYM's latest brainwave is to try and declare that Hail Spirit Noir's new single isn't psych. When they've dumped the black metal on it and is more psych than ever. I see this sort of 'logic' all the time over there, especially for acts who might be on the borderline between rock and metal. It's usually the heavier releases from an act that get denied as being metal, while less metallic ones can end up with metal in primary. For years Ayreon's Dream Sequence had prog metal primary on it.

-------------

Posted By: Psydye
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 8:52am
Boy the folks at RYM sound like fucking idiots from the way you guys are describing them. I've never used the site so I can't say so myself. Anyways..

I suppose Staind might be a good example...I'm not entirely sure. At any rate, I'm not that huge on them. At least, I don't remember enjoying them!

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

Boy the folks at RYM sound like fucking idiots from the way you guys are describing them. 

Not all of them are, most I think just vote for whatever's green or in the lead at the time though. At least I know that trying to change the direction of a vote or even add a new tag is very rarely well received by the userbase, no matter how much justification you post for it in the comments (the exception being when a whole new tag appears on the site for the first time, like Post-Metal, but that's other issue with their voting habits entirely). Your changes will just get voted down and your comments lucky if you even get any counterargument against them. I think best I've ever got is 'nah'. Worst I got was rudeness and accusations of vote rigging, which I did not do. That was from the same person who verbally attacked the community of my website for no reason one time. 

Sometimes I wonder if I just perceive music differently to most, because sometimes I feel like RYM is really voting against the blood obvious. 

I'm sure the majority of the users are also pretty nice people though - just people with some really funny ideas on what music is and how it should be graded. Specifically 'enjoyment' doesn't seem to come into it and I was once even told in not so many words that if I gave something 5 stars in a review I needed cap my ratings for a while before awarding another one. 

There's a few users that as collabs we've learned never to trust the votes from. I won't name them here on the public forums (though will confirm it's no one also on MMA), but it wouldn't take much observation of the votes to at least see who the number one not to ever trust is. 

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 5:15pm

Sometimes I wonder if I just perceive music differently to most, because sometimes I feel like RYM is really voting against the blood obvious. 

I know I do, considering that I find most 60's/70's heavy psych to just be metal as well as being one of the only people who considers Meshuggah a nu metal band. Tongue

That's the thing about classifying music in general, with something so subjective pretty much everyone's going to hear at least some things differently. I think RYM forgets that and gets really hung up on genres, but at the same time not caring enough to give an actual argument if they vote something down as you say. 

Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

I suppose Staind might be a good example...I'm not entirely sure. At any rate, I'm not that huge on them. At least, I don't remember enjoying them! 

I haven't heard them in years, I remember liking some of their stuff. I'll have to check out the Tormented album again sometime.

Another one for me would be Rage Against the Machine. Could never stand Morello's solos and always found him obnoxious. They pretty much lost all their appeal after I was 16 or so.

-------------

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 3:14pm
probably more popular metal acts that I dislike than like

Posted By: Tupan
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 2:27pm
Pantera.

I know that Dimebag was a great guitar player, and Phil Anselmo is an excellent vocalist - I actually like his other projects, as Down and Scour. But I never really liked the Pantera songs.

Guns'n'Roses.

When I was a teenager, all my friends seems to love Guns'n'Roses... I only thought it was okay, and don't care for most of their songs.

Manowar.

Some good songs here and there, but their music is too boring for my ears.

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 3:01pm
It´s actually an interesting topic, and now that I´ve had a couple of days to think of other artists than Manowar, that I really can´t stand (and honestly it´s not so much about their music, but more their ridiculous image), I´ve found that I can´t really mention any others. I seem to have a pretty broad taste in music, and even if there is something I don´t enjoy listening to, there´s almost always something else to be interested in, like a good production job, or some strong musicianship. I have my prefered artists and genres, and others I wouldn´t put on for listening pleasure, but that doesn´t mean I dislike them. I´m just not that interested in them...

...actually I feel that way about most of the output of Judas Priest, which is otherwise almost universally praised. I enjoy the first two albums a lot, but after that it´s pretty much select tracks (like Painkiller...), and the rest never did much for me. That doesn´t mean I think it´s bad quality music, it´s just not my poison. 

-------------

Posted By: Archisorcerus
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 8:09am
At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity... Never interested me. The In Flames before Clayman, Obituary... Some death metal stuff that interest me.

Dream Theater - except for their albums Awake and SFaM. Most of their works are uninteresting for me.

Leprous and Mastodon... We'll let's say that I'm not interested in any of their albums.

Anathema - except for their wonderful album The Silent Enigma.

Any djent act... Prog metal would be better without them.

Helloween... with few exceptional albums and songs.

Sabaton.

etc.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 8:59am
There doesn't some to be a whole lot I dislike. My taste has become increasingly broad over the years.

Like I said, I'm not huge on Staind. Not big on Sevendust, Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach either. Don't really like Epica and almost any "typical" Beauty-and-Beast-style symphonic metal bands. Not much else I can think of atm but if I think of any I'll let you know.

Posted By: BitterJalapeno
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 9:13am
Despite enjoying a vast range of progressive music, I find both Dream Theater and Haken extremely boring...

-------------
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?

Posted By: Archisorcerus
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 9:22am
^ Ah, I don't like Haken that much too. Their debut was very promising, and sophomore was decent. The rest of their discography is... uninteresting.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 10:17am
^I actually agree w/ you two. Not a fan of DT or Haken.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk