Print Page | Close Window

MMA best of the 2010s - discussion thread

Printed From: MetalMusicArchives.com
Category: Metal Music Lounges
Forum Name: Metal Music Lounge
Forum Description: General metal music discussions (no polls)
URL: http://www.MetalMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16261
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 10:53pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: MMA best of the 2010s - discussion thread
Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Subject: MMA best of the 2010s - discussion thread
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 10:34am
Topic for chatting about our picks & thought process for the "albums of the decade" voting without clogging up the http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16260" rel="nofollow - main thread

Replies:
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 10:38am
Couple thoughts I have had so far:

-I'm trying to limit the number of releases per artist, especially from very prolific musicians, but can't help but fanboy in a couple cases
-a lot of albums that initially came to mind turned out to be released 2007-2009, doh!
-I decided to start by listing all my contenders, narrowing it down to 50, and am now in the process of sorting them against each other (head to head between albums above/below until none of them move anymore)
-I've already found more things I initially forgot and definitely want to list though, doh!

good thing we have a long time to work on this

Posted By: adg211288
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 10:40am
That's exactly why we decided to set the end of June as the date Colin. We knew this would be hard. Fucking hard even. I'm nowhere near happy with my list yet. and I've started to checking out albums that I've missed as well, though none so far have been top 50 contenders on first listen. 

-------------
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
https://premium.gg2u.org?referrer=adg211288" rel="nofollow - GG2U

https://adamsfilmcorner.quora.com/" rel="nofollow - Adam's Film Corner on Quora

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 10:40am
Also, I've made this a sticky thread.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Couple thoughts I have had so far:

-I'm trying to limit the number of releases per artist, especially from very prolific musicians, but can't help but fanboy in a couple cases

I thought about this. I also thought about trying to only list the most innovative albums too. There's a few that I genuinely love but acknowledge don't bring a lot new to the table, if anything. 

-I decided to start by listing all my contenders, narrowing it down to 50, and am now in the process of sorting them against each other (head to head between albums above/below until none of them move anymore)

I haven't re-listened to any yet, more listening to stuff I've missed completely. What I did for my first draft was to take all my five star ratings, as well as bump up some 4.5's that have gone up in estimations, and sorted them into two groups. Ones I really want to make sure get some of my points and ones I could live without not getting any. It hasn't worked too well though because there's a lot of albums I've got filed under The Unlucky Ones on my document that I've played to death, are by my favourite artists or just plains feels wrong to not include them. 

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I thought about this. I also thought about trying to only list the most innovative albums too. There's a few that I genuinely love but acknowledge don't bring a lot new to the table, if anything. 

I definitely put a lot of weight towards an unquantifiable "x-factor" that certain albums seem to have.  In general it feels like this decade has a lot fewer of the genre-defining classics that the previous 2 decades did; maybe that's just a factor of my age and tastes.

Posted By: Vim Fuego
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 2:34pm

I definitely put a lot of weight towards an unquantifiable "x-factor" that certain albums seem to have.  In general it feels like this decade has a lot fewer of the genre-defining classics that the previous 2 decades did; maybe that's just a factor of my age and tastes.

I think we're all aging... I just noticed this morning that the top 5 albums on the site on the front page are all 30 years old or more!

I find watching YouTube videos of younger metal fans looking at what they call definitive or defining albums is quite useful for how things have changed.

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I think we're all aging... I just noticed this morning that the top 5 albums on the site on the front page are all 30 years old or more!

I find watching YouTube videos of younger metal fans looking at what they call definitive or defining albums is quite useful for how things have changed.

To be clear, there are still so many albums from the past decade that I absolutely love... I just struggle to see them having the same lasting impact on the future of heavy metal.  Even bands that are doing something "new" are more often then not mashing 2 old styles together

There are obviously exceptions to this too - bands like Triptykon have taken "doom metal" somewhere completely different than the slower, lower Black Sabbath that the subgenre trends towards.  Varg came out of prison and immediately gave the entire black metal scene a giant middle finger by putting out a totally fresh take on the style he was so instrumental in developing.  Aaron Turner's projects since Isis have been a total 180 from the direction that band had taken (he has said in an interview that he wishes Panopticon was the last Isis album...).  Newish bands like Lord Mantis and Inter Arma are difficult to compare to anything that came before them.

I guess TLDR: it's still exciting, but not in as clear of a way.  And the exciting stuff seems to be pushed further and further to the outskirts, as mainstream metal is dominated by 30+ year old bands doing the same album over and over again, or Andy Sneap overproducing every album into monotony

Posted By: Unitron
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 4:29pm
I think the 2010's have probably been the weakest decade for music in general since the 60's, but at the end of the day it's all subjective. Personally though, I think a problem is that in our current internet-dominated culture, there's really not much of an underground music scene anymore. Let's face it, metal is mainstream these days, in the sense that there's several huge metal labels and I'd be surprised if there weren't at least some label plants in the scene. I think I can list on one hand the number of death metal bands today that still sound like death metal, instead of being over-produced and sterile.

and by mainstream, I don't mean just popular. I think most of the metal bands of the 70's, 80's, and 90's that got popular got there for a good reason. Many of them are among my favorite bands, Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Judas Priest, Korn, Soundgarden, Ratt, Motley Crue, Alice in Chains, Black Sabbath, etc. These are all amazing bands, but it's not like they started out as major-label superstars. Many of today's metal bands I see start right off on Napalm, Nuclear Blast, Century Media, etc. 

As far as what is underground, most of it seems to be within electronic music, which I think has been the strongest genre in the past decade. With Bandcamp, it's easier than ever to release your own music, and unfortunately I haven't noticed many metal bands releasing their own stuff yet. (I've seen plenty of metal on Bandcamp obviously, but usually attached to a label. There's a few cool independent bands I've found though). Electronic artists have benefited most from Bandcamp in the past decade from what I've noticed.

There's a lot of pretentiousness these days as well within the general internet music populous, certain genres are shunned while others are propped up as the best. If a metal band today does something "new", it's bound to be some critic approved form of metal combined with another critic approved genre (For example, black metal and shoegaze, a very popular combination of two critic favorites. Also, this isn't a diss at those bands, just an observation. I liked the Alcest album I've heard, so I don't hate these bands). You'll never see a big beat or nu metal on any RYM top of the year chart, but you're bound to see a free jazz or shoegaze album there. In a sense, avant-garde is the new mainstream in some circles.

I just listen to whatever sounds good to me, whatever the genre, but this is just something I've observed and for all I know I'm talking a bunch of shit. This could get into a way deeper philosophical discussion and I don't know how well I could communicate that on a forum. Tongue

As far as how I decide what to vote for, I'm planning on (and already started) re-listening to several albums from the past decade and maybe check out some new ones if they sound interesting. I'm just voting for whatever albums I like best, limiting myself by artist or something would make it too hard.

If anyone's got any recommendations for something you think I'd like, send them my way. Nothing political please (unless very vague and doesn't get in the way of the music), and I'm open to most metal genres. I usually don't like black metal, prog metal, hardcore/grindcore, modern death metal, or modern power metal though, with few exceptions. I haven't checked out much of it from this decade, but the sludge I've heard have sounded really good (Floor's Oblation and Kylesa's Exhausting Fire in particular), so some sludge recs would be nice.

I guess TLDR: it's still exciting, but not in as clear of a way.  And the exciting stuff seems to be pushed further and further to the outskirts, as mainstream metal is dominated by 30+ year old bands doing the same album over and over again, or Andy Sneap overproducing every album into monotony

Just read this after writing that spiel. Somewhat of a condensed version of some points I made. Though I would say it's more dominated by newer bands that maybe or maybe not are label plants as well as some of those old bands. LOL

Andy Sneap isn't the only one to blame, it's almost any album released on Napalm, Nuclear Blast, or Century Media.

-------------
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

and by mainstream, I don't mean just popular. I think most of the metal bands of the 70's, 80's, and 90's that got popular got there for a good reason. Many of them are among my favorite bands, Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Judas Priest, Korn, Soundgarden, Ratt, Motley Crue, Alice in Chains, Black Sabbath, etc. These are all amazing bands, but it's not like they started out as major-label superstars. Many of today's metal bands I see start right off on Napalm, Nuclear Blast, Century Media, etc. 

As far as what is underground, most of it seems to be within electronic music, which I think has been the strongest genre in the past decade. With Bandcamp, it's easier than ever to release your own music, and unfortunately I haven't noticed many metal bands releasing their own stuff yet. (I've seen plenty of metal on Bandcamp obviously, but usually attached to a label. There's a few cool independent bands I've found though). Electronic artists have benefited most from Bandcamp in the past decade from what I've noticed.

There's a lot of pretentiousness these days as well within the general internet music populous, certain genres are shunned while others are propped up as the best. If a metal band today does something "new", it's bound to be some critic approved form of metal combined with another critic approved genre (For example, black metal and shoegaze, a very popular combination of two critic favorites. Also, this isn't a diss at those bands, just an observation. I liked the Alcest album I've heard, so I don't hate these bands). You'll never see a big beat or nu metal on any RYM top of the year chart, but you're bound to see a free jazz or shoegaze album there. In a sense, avant-garde is the new mainstream in some circles.

I'd say you're on the money with critic-approved metal; there seem to be forced trends, partly due to the Profound Lore/Nuclear Blast dominance, partly due to there only being like 3 sites for metal journalism.  Blackgaze & atmospheric sludge are everywhere now.  Satanism in black metal is another one; none of the 2nd wave bands worshipped satan in any way shape or form, it's a trend that some journalists made up back in the day but now it almost defines the genre.  

I could rant about this stuff for a long time LOL

RE: Andy Sneap - him and his (now mostly defunct) forum are part of the reason every metal band uses all the same gear and production techniques (EMG > tubescreamer > 5150 > Vintage 30 > SM57).  And he's part of the reason everybody uses triggers on drums now, and is switching to modelling amps & impulse responses now (which sound TERRIBLE, I can tell immediately; this is the reason Exodus for example sounds totally different after Atrocity Exhibition 1) 

so some sludge recs would be nice.

OLD MAN GLOOM

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 6:35pm

I'd say you're on the money with critic-approved metal; there seem to be forced trends, partly due to the Profound Lore/Nuclear Blast dominance, partly due to there only being like 3 sites for metal journalism.  Blackgaze & atmospheric sludge are everywhere now.  Satanism in black metal is another one; none of the 2nd wave bands worshipped satan in any way shape or form, it's a trend that some journalists made up back in the day but now it almost defines the genre.  

I could rant about this stuff for a long time LOL

RE: Andy Sneap - him and his (now mostly defunct) forum are part of the reason every metal band uses all the same gear and production techniques (EMG > tubescreamer > 5150 > Vintage 30 > SM57).  And he's part of the reason everybody uses triggers on drums now, and is switching to modelling amps & impulse responses now (which sound TERRIBLE, I can tell immediately; this is the reason Exodus for example sounds totally different after Atrocity Exhibition 1) 

so some sludge recs would be nice.

OLD MAN GLOOM

3 sites for metal journalism, and all of them rags worth less than toilet paper, and don't get me started on black metal. LOL Music journalism in general should probably just go away, at least in this culture. At least it seemed to be somewhat fun back in the 80's and 90's based on the old metal mags I've read. Seems to hurt artists more than help them these days.

Ah, so Sneap started the modern style of metal production basically? That would explain why the drums always sound so damn tinny on many new albums, especially death metal, which is one of the main reasons why I just can't stand most new death metal.

I'll check out some Old Man Gloom.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 11:36pm
Personally I find most innovation is found in modern black metal. And generally not within so called blackgaze acts. 

Progenie Terrestre Pura - oltreLuna - this is one of my tops from the last decade. A real brilliant release. Their debut was also good but this is much harder sounding and with more outside of the box influences creeping in. Even dubstep for fucks sake. 

Winterhorde - Underwatermoon/Maestro - really puts the actual prog into (melodic) black metal. 

Entropia - Ufonaut - a kind of post-black metal that isn't actually too atmospheric, but hard and riffy. 

Aquilus - Griseus - his combination of black metal with folk music and sections of pure classical works really well. One of the last decade's most epic BM albums. 

Hail Spirit Noir - all three albums - their take on blending black metal with old school psych rock remains a unqiue take on both styles in my experience. All three albums are bloody brilliant, especially the most recent Mayhem in Blue. 

Absolutely none of these acts are blackgaze. Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 11:53pm

Personally I find most innovation is found in modern black metal. And generally not within so called blackgaze acts. 

Progenie Terrestre Pura - oltreLuna - this is one of my tops from the last decade. A real brilliant release. Their debut was also good but this is much harder sounding and with more outside of the box influences creeping in. Even dubstep for fucks sake. 

That album sounds interesting, may check that out.

I wasn't trying to imply that most black metal today is just blackgaze, I was just using it as an example of a popular combination of two genres that are generally pretty popular among critics. I'm sure there is really unique stuff coming from there as you say, and if I was more of a black metal fan I'd probably be more excited about it. Music wise, it's just a matter of personal taste, but my biggest problems with black metal are with the scene. Both the trve kvlt purists, and on the other side the RYM elitists who act like black metal is so much better, creative, and higher art than any other metal. Goes to what I was saying about avant-garde being the new mainstream in some ways.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 1:18am
https://open.spotify.com/album/5PXXQiqStTTfM3goTYoihp" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/album/5PXXQiqStTTfM3goTYoihp

The dubstep bit is in the title track. 

-------------

Posted By: 666sharon666
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 2:59am
I feel like I could probably get a list of 50 and only have black metal on it to be honest. But I will try to vary it as much as possible. Just trying to narrow down all my five stars for now. I sometimes forget to leave ratings though, so I don't have an easy list to check. 

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 4:34am
Started some relistens now and re-ranking my list as I go. Good thing, because I already have one that wasn't on my first draft ranked higher than some that were. Right now I have eight albums that I feel are ranked correctly in relation to each other. Ones I've played today or very recently. The rest will probably look very different to what I posted in my first draft. 

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 11:29am

https://open.spotify.com/album/5PXXQiqStTTfM3goTYoihp" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/album/5PXXQiqStTTfM3goTYoihp

The dubstep bit is in the title track. 

Listened through some of it, sounded good though it has the same issue that I have with Apartment 26's Music for the Massive. When the dubstep and other non-ambient electronic elements are there, it sounds REALLY good, but I don't think they utilize them enough. I'll be looking forward to seeing if they do on their next album though.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 11:19pm
^ They also released a non-metal EP in 2014. No dubstep (that I recall), but RYM filed it between space ambient and IDM. 

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/progenie-terrestre-pura/asteroidi/" rel="nofollow - https://rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/progenie-terrestre-pura/asteroidi/

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 11:46pm
^Title track sounds really good, that'll probably end up making my top non metal list.

If you like that sound, I can recommend some of Eat Static's stuff, this song in particular: 

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 5:17am
If anyone is interested, based on ratings and reviews left alone, these are the site's top 100 albums of the 2010s.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/TopAlbums.aspx?lstReleaseTypes=1&lstYears=2010,2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019&MinNRatings=1&MaxResults=100#list" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/TopAlbums.aspx?lstReleaseTypes=1&lstYears=2010,2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019&MinNRatings=1&MaxResults=100#list

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 7:45am
One of the more interesting developments of this decade is Darkthrone completely abandoning black metal to channel their inner Motorhead/Venom/Celtic Frost

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 10:23am

If anyone is interested, based on ratings and reviews left alone, these are the site's top 100 albums of the 2010s.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/TopAlbums.aspx?lstReleaseTypes=1&lstYears=2010,2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019&MinNRatings=1&MaxResults=100#list" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/TopAlbums.aspx?lstReleaseTypes=1&lstYears=2010,2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019&MinNRatings=1&MaxResults=100#list

I have rated/reviewed seven of those, and had to go all the way to 39 to find the first one!LOL

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 10:49am
There's a lot of albums I like in there. But it's kinda of a problem isn't it: we get so few ratings it only takes a few people with similar taste and our charts are completely dominated. We need more people rating/reviewing albums!

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 10:50am

One of the more interesting developments of this decade is Darkthrone completely abandoning black metal to channel their inner Motorhead/Venom/Celtic Frost

Well they brought it back somewhat on the last two. Not exactly A Blaze in the Northern Sky anymore though. LOL

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 11:05am

I have rated/reviewed seven of those, and had to go all the way to 39 to find the first one!LOL

Only 1 album there that has made (the current draft of) my list, Triptykon at #35, though a couple others that barely didn't make the cut

I'm not very active with ratings/reviews though

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 11:12am

Only 1 album there that has made (the current draft of) my list, Triptykon at #35, though a couple others that barely didn't make the cut

I'm not very active with ratings/reviews though

I have bouts of it. I haven't managed a review in a while, but some days I go through and click a few stars. I'm trying to be more proactive on it with new stuff I hear. With the make up of the users here, it's often the only rating those releases get.

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 2:33pm

Interesting to see that at least 8 of those will probably make my top 50. 

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 3:22pm

I'm not a huge black metal fan, but I've been quite interested in the rise of the anti-fascist side of it. Bands like Gaylord, Neckbeard Deathcamp and Dawn Ray'd.

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 3:53pm

5 of those are definites on my list, and there's a few that might with a re-listen.

As far as the lack of ratings go, yeah right now it's just the active forum users (which aren't many) mainly that are rating things. I have a couple suggestions though of getting more people, Discord and Plug.dj servers would be a good way to do so.

-------------

Posted By: vmoore
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 7:11am
no one talks about the band Hexen. fuck i love the band Hexen. the first album State Of Insurgency is just straight up pure thrash with hints and glimmers of what they would do on their next album. their second and finel album Being and Nothingness is a fucking prog thrash masterpiece. i haven't found any other proggy thrash album that can touch it's brilliance. such a god damn shame this band doesn't exist anymore. Being and Nothingness is one of my top 5 favourite albums of the 2010s period. it is so hard to even pick out a favourite track. i can't even imagine what music the follow up to being and nothingness would have sounded like. here is the album cover 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 10:46am
^ Sounds like it might be worth checking it out. I'll give it a listen.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 3:20pm

-I'm trying to limit the number of releases per artist, especially from very prolific musicians

I decided on a self-imposed limit of 2 albums per artist, and preferably 1 if there is a clear standout in their discography.

I'm also gonna need to pick a date by which to finalize the 50 albums, or else there is no hope of getting them sorted LOL

Posted By: vmoore
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

^ Sounds like it might be worth checking it out. I'll give it a listen.
you will be pleasently surprised. i wish this album would have done better and was better known. it deserves more recognition. its virtually unknown. at least i got my buddy into it

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 11:05pm
Hexen sounds like it might be up my alley. Will definitely give that one a listen before finalising my best of the decade submission. Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: TheHeavyMetalCat
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 3:16am
Seems the better place to put my WIP list.

These are all my relevant 5 star ratings that I currently have on MMA. I have more ratings that I haven't added though. Sorted by genre for now, then I'll rank each one seperately. Then will come the hard part, merging them together for an overall top 50.

Power (Ranked - 12 albums):

Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time
Lovebites - Awakening From Abyss
Eternity's End - Unyielding
Blind Guardian - Beyond the Red Mirror
Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide
Lovebites - Clockwork Immortality
Triosphere - The Heart of the Matter
Wuthering Heights - Salt
Grave Digger - Return of the Reaper
Powerwolf - Blood of the Saints
Orden Ogan - To the End
Iron Savior - The Landing

Heavy (Ranked - 3 albums):

Iron Maiden - The Book of Souls
Hell - Human Remains
Metal Church - Damned If You Do

Death (Ranked - 17 albums):

Obscura - Omnivium
Enthean - Priests of Annihilation
Beyond Creation - Earthborn Evolution
Lascaille's Shroud - The Roads Leading North
Blood Incantation - Hidden History of the Human Race
Beyond Creation - Algorythm
Nile - What Should Not be Unearthed
Esoctrilihum - Pandaemorthium (Forbidden Formulas To Awaken The Blind Sovereigns Of Nothingness)
Gorguts - Colored Sands
Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails
Lascaille's Shroud - Interval 02: Parallel Infinities - The Abscinded Universe
Obscura - Diluvium
Barren Earth - Curse of the Red River
The Faceless - Autotheism
Obscura - Akróasis
Origin - Entity
Mayan - Dhyana

Black (Ranked - 28 albums):

Progenie Terrestre Pura - oltreLuna
Fen - Epoch
Spectral Lore - III
Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith
Winterhorde - Underwatermoon
Wodensthrone - Curse
Mare Cognitum - Luminiferous Aether
Hail Spirit Noir - Mayhem in Blue
Winterhorde - Maestro
Oranssi Pazuzu - Värähtelijä
Fen - Winter
Pillorian - Obsidian Arc
Mare Cognitum/Spectral Lore - Sol
Progenie Terrestre Pura - U.M.A.
Uada - Devoid of Light
Aquilus - Griseus
Entropia - Ufonaut
Pure Wrath - Ascetic Eventide
Vattnet Viskar - Settler
Fen - Dustwalker
Dordeduh - Dar de duh
Saor - Aura
Mesarthim - Isolate
Sojourner - Empires of Ash
Wode - Servants of the Countercosmos
White Ward - Futility Report
Evilfeast - Elegies of the Stellar Wind

Thrash (Ranked - 5 albums):

Vektor - Outer Isolation
Vektor - Terminal Redux
Sacral Rage - Beyond Celestial Echoes
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Infest the Rats' Nest
Vorbid - Mind

Doom (Ranked - 3 albums):

Avatarium - The Girl with the Raven Mask
Spectral Voice - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing
Paradise Lost - Medusa

Prog (Ranked - 6 albums):

Haken - The Mountain
Arch / Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance
Enslaved - RIITIIR
Threshold - Legends Of The Shires
Haken - Aquarius
Ihsahn - After

Symphonic (Ranked - 4 albums):

Epica - The Holographic Principle
Xandria - Neverworld's End
Epica - The Quantum Enigma
Within Temptation - The Unforgiving

Hard Rock (Ranked - 2 albums):

Blood Ceremony - The Eldritch Dark
Blood Ceremony - Lord of Misrule

Final List Draft

Iron Maiden - The Book of Souls
Progenie Terrestre Pura - oltreLuna
Fen - Epoch
Spectral Lore - III
Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith
Avatarium - The Girl with the Raven Mask
Winterhorde - Underwatermoon
Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time
Wodensthrone - Curse
Lovebites - Awakening From Abyss
Eternity's End - Unyielding
Mare Cognitum - Luminiferous Aether
Hail Spirit Noir - Mayhem in Blue
Obscura - Omnivium
Enthean - Priests of Annihilation
Vektor - Outer Isolation
Blind Guardian - Beyond the Red Mirror
Winterhorde - Maestro
Oranssi Pazuzu - Värähtelijä
Beyond Creation - Earthborn Evolution
Lascaille's Shroud - The Roads Leading North
Fen - Winter
Spectral Voice - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing
Hell - Human Remains
Blood Incantation - Hidden History of the Human Race
Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide
Lovebites - Clockwork Immortality
Pillorian - Obsidian Arc
Epica - The Holographic Principle
Beyond Creation - Algorythm
Nile - What Should Not be Unearthed
Haken - The Mountain
Mare Cognitum/Spectral Lore - Sol
Paradise Lost - Medusa
Blood Ceremony - The Eldritch Dark
Progenie Terrestre Pura - U.M.A.
Xandria - Neverworld's End
Esoctrilihum - Pandaemorthium (Forbidden Formulas To Awaken The Blind Sovereigns Of Nothingness)
Uada - Devoid of Light
Aquilus - Griseus
Blood Ceremony - Lord of Misrule
Arch / Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance
Vektor - Terminal Redux
Gorguts - Colored Sands
Entropia - Ufonaut
Epica - The Quantum Enigma
Triosphere - The Heart of the Matter
Enslaved - RIITIIR
Pure Wrath - Ascetic Eventide
Wuthering Heights - Salt
Sacral Rage - Beyond Celestial Echoes
Threshold - Legends Of The Shires
Vattnet Viskar - Settler
Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails
Fen - Dustwalker
Lascaille's Shroud - Interval 02: Parallel Infinities - The Abscinded Universe
Grave Digger - Return of the Reaper
Dordeduh - Dar de duh
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Infest the Rats' Nest
Obscura - Diluvium
Saor - Aura
Powerwolf - Blood of the Saints
Metal Church - Damned If You Do
Haken - Aquarius
Barren Earth - Curse of the Red River
Mesarthim - Isolate
Sojourner - Empires of Ash
The Faceless - Autotheism
Wode - Servants of the Countercosmos
Within Temptation - The Unforgiving
White Ward - Futility Report
Ihsahn - After
Evilfeast - Elegies of the Stellar Wind
Obscura - Akróasis
Origin - Entity
Vorbid - Mind
Orden Ogan - To the End
Iron Savior - The Landing
Mayan - Dhyana

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 4:00am
^ Not a bad idea. I always find it hard to really compare two releases of different genres. Right now I'm doing a lot of re-listening and sliding each album into the main list where it feels more appropriate, but some are getting changed again as I go. Inevitably there are going to be some albums I absolutely love that get no points and even some of my favourite bands are going to get shafted completely. I'm actually having some inner turmoil over Blind Guardian. I've historically rated their two 2010s albums as 4.5's which would preclude them completely from my top 50. But they're my favourite band of all time and it feels wrong not to include at least one of those albums somewhere. And they probably will get in there because I know it's because they are my favourite band I hold them to a higher standard than anyone else: I know there are power metal albums I like less that got 5 stars from me where At the Edge of Time only has 4.5, because it's not Somewhere Far Beyond. LOL

In fact, I probably have a lot of 4.5's that deserve revaluation due to being growers. Cult of Luna/Julie Christmas is easily one of my most played releases of the last decade and I already had to up that one to 5 stars and it will definitely feature high on the final list even though based on original ratings it wouldn't have got a look in. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 4:01am
Oh and @vmoore, got the Hexen album on and it's damn fine thrash. Unknown after one listen whether it will get a 5/5 and/or break top 50 for for the decade, but it's definite 4.5 first impression. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 4:12pm
@Colin, have you ever heard the sludge metal band Obake? I'm re-listening to their debut from 2011 now and forgot how great it is. I could see it being something up your alley:

https://open.spotify.com/album/7mrObcqzUoGMEa25uOZmXY" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/album/7mrObcqzUoGMEa25uOZmXY

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 6:26pm

@Colin, have you ever heard the sludge metal band Obake? I'm re-listening to their debut from 2011 now and forgot how great it is. I could see it being something up your alley:

https://open.spotify.com/album/7mrObcqzUoGMEa25uOZmXY" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/album/7mrObcqzUoGMEa25uOZmXY

nope I'll check it out

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 3:54am
Colin you've put Opeth - Heritage on your Non-Metal list. That album is in Metal Related so is eligible for the main list, not the bonus Non-Metal round. 

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 8:14am

Colin you've put Opeth - Heritage on your Non-Metal list. That album is in Metal Related so is eligible for the main list, not the bonus Non-Metal round. 

I was under the impression metal-related is a non metal subgenre?

it doesn't make the cut in my main list

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 8:16am
Nope, they're related but one is not under the other. For this you can put MR in your main list but not Non-Metal. That's what the extra list is for. 

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 11:48am
It's the non metal list I'm struggling with. Plenty of non metal albums in my collection I love but not that many that are in non metal here. 

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 12:54pm
Well the Non-Metal is optional. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If we get enough of them we'll add the bonus section, if we don't I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 6:13am
I'm not even going to worry about the Non-Metal extra until I have a list of 50 main albums that I'm happy with. Made pretty much zero progress on that so far though. 

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 11:25am
Yep. I keep thinking of things when I'm away from a computer, and then when it comes time to add to the list, I've forgotten.Confused

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 11:31am
I'm making slow progress. I have a list of albums to re-listen to and every one gets placed on my list afterwards. Whether I'll be happy with that list after this re-listen project remains to be seen. 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:22am
Don't forget about the best of decade vote folks. 2 months to go until the deadline for your votes to be included.

Posted By: TheHeavyMetalCat
Date Posted: 02 May 2020 at 5:10am
I already finalised mine. I don't think it will change now unless I discover something really sensational.

Date Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:38pm
I think I'm reasonably happy with my list now, but I'll probably keep changing album order every time I look at it. 

edit: getting started on head to head comparisons and so many have moved already LOL but I don't think I will add or remove any albums, just reorder

Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 12:40am
I'm close with mine, having listened to almost everything I needed to again over the last few months. There's a few albums that I know so well that I didn't really 'need' to relisten to to know they should be on my list. It's these ones that tend to be the higher ranked ones.

My biggest issue is that there's always going to be some albums that I think deserve points that I just won't have room for. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 12:57am
I still have some albums to listen to, I've been checking out so much music that I haven't been thinking about this too much. My non metal list (If we're doing that) is all good, and I'm pretty sure what I've got on my list will stay. It's more a matter of what else to add.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 3:31pm

My biggest issue is that there's always going to be some albums that I think deserve points that I just won't have room for. 

yeah, I could make a list of 200+ albums I love without much trouble

It's more a matter of what else to add.

Did you check out Old Man Gloom yet? Wink

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 3:57pm

It's more a matter of what else to add.

Did you check out Old Man Gloom yet? Wink

I checked out Ape of God (the one with the shorter songs), and thought it was pretty good. I still need to check out No and the other Ape of God. 

Did you check out Obake yet? Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 4:51pm
I did, really liked it but am unwilling to add things to my list without longer term exposure

from my list you might also enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_2sA6uNFJg" rel="nofollow - Yakuza and recent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Fkqd-LxH0" rel="nofollow - Darkthrone

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 5:15pm
I'm familiar with and enjoy some of Yakusa's earlier albums, especially Samsara, but haven't heard any thing past that. I'll check that album out. I've heard a couple of recent Darkthrone albums years ago, but I'll have to refresh my memory.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 4:50pm
Checked out that Yakuza album, great stuff. Really liked the post-hardcore metal blend.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 4:59pm
Still need to get mine in the right order though I think I have pretty much everything there that I want to include.

Date Posted: 23 May 2020 at 4:17pm
getting the order right is hard with this thing because numbers ~6-35 are all super close to each other

Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 6:22am
I really need to do mine. I just have an unordered list posted at the moment. 

I think we also need more new voters on this than we currently have if its going to be worthwhile. We have 11 submissions currently. 

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 1:35pm
do albums tagged Hard Rock belong in the main list or non metal list?

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 1:35pm
Main. Only Non-Metal in Non-Metal. Though be aware of anything that might be mistagged. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 4:16am
Final month for voting!

I must say I'd hoped there would be more lists for this by now. I hope you're all just been saving them for the final month. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 9:33am
A bit of final tweaking to do and I'll be finished.

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 9:35am
We really need to push this as much as we can this month. I don't think we have enough votes to come out with a worthwhile result. 

Everyone please do what you can to share this around your social media, especially to other metalheads and get some of them over here to take part. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 11:47am
I really need to order mine. I keep putting it off. 

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 11:55am
I was just thinking about mine this morning. I have already forgotten what I was thinking, other than I need to finish it.Ouch

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 7:48am
I've just done mine. I'm not happy with it, but I don't think I'm ever going to be. Every album on my short list deserved some of my points but not all can have any. Apart from a few choice ones at the top end the rest may as well have just been randomised and hope for the best. 

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:10am
A little over a week for votes to be made and finalised!

We still need a lot more or this won't be worth doing!

Come on MMA!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 4:27pm
Last reminder - tomorrow is the last full day of voting. As always with MMA votes, it's not truly closed until I say it's closed, but don't rely on leeway. I don't want to see any strops like with the 2019 vote where submissions weren't accepted because they weren't posted on time. When it's closed, it's closed. We have, I think, 15 submissions now and while it would be nice to see more this is probably enough for a reasonable presentation. But if anyone else can bring themselves to vote, all the better. 

-------------

Posted By: tapfret
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 5:03pm
As a show of respect for our sibling site with the forum that has the gorgeous black screen that ISN'T A BRIGHT BACKGROUND WITH PURPLE HIGHLIGHTS THAT MAKES ME WANT TO GOUGE MY EYEBALLS OUT MUCH OF THE TIME! ... I decided that I could come up with about 50 albums from the last 10 years to participate in the event. I have to say, out of the ridiculous number of bands on this site, there were several I thought for sure would be here. Cthulu Rise for one, would have ranked high. 

Anyway, looks like most of my top 10 isn't repeated anywhere. I have seen The Wake and The Mountain at least once each.

I did remove the numbers for the official list:

1. Voivod - The Wake
2. Pryapisme - Hyperblast Super Collider
3. Haken - The Mountain
4. Watchtower - Concepts in Mathematics Book 1
5. Colonel Petrov's Good Judgement - Among Servants
6. Syk - I-Optikon
7. Helium Horse Fly - Helium Horse Fly
8. Atheist - Jupiter
9. Panzerballett - Breaking Brain
10. Pryapisme - Diabolicus Felinae Pandemonium
11. Chimp Spanner - All Roads Lead Here
12. Electro Quarterstaff - Aykroyd
13. Exivious - Liminal
14. Opeth - Ina Cauda Venenum
15. Mestis - Basal Ganglia
16. Schitzofrantik - Oddities
17. Rings of Saturn - Lugal Ki En
18. Canvas Solaris - Irradiance
19. Virus - Momento Collider
20. Voivod - Target Earth
21. Unexpect - Fables of the Sleepless Empire
22. Blotted Science - The Animation of Entomology
23. Dysrhythmia - Terminal Threshold
24. Special Providence - Essence of Change
25. Protest the Hero - Fortress
26. Pain of Salvation - In the Passing Light of Day
27. Scale the Summit - The Migration
28. Dethklok - Dethalbum III
29. Syk - Atoma
30. Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason
31. Virus - The Agent That Shapes the Desert
32. Felix Martin - The Scenic Album
33. Counter-World Experience - Pulsar
34. Schizofrantik - Ripping Heartaches
35. Nova Collective - The Further Side
36. Dying Fetus - Reign Supreme
37. Dysrhythmia - Test of Submission
38. Haken - Visions
39. Rings of Saturn - Dingir
40. Animals as Leaders - Weightless
41. Portal - Ion
42. Pryapisme - Rococo Holocaust 
43. Periphery - Periphery (Instrumental)
44. Intronaut - Valley of Smoke
45. Theory in Practice - Crescendo Dezign
46. Meshuggah - Koloss 
47. Panzerballett - Xmas Death Jazz 

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 5:30am
Originally posted by tapfret tapfret wrote:

I have to say, out of the ridiculous number of bands on this site, there were several I thought for sure would be here. Cthulu Rise for one, would have ranked high. 

We don't have many collabs currently and bands often get overlooked. If there are any bands that should be here please post them in our suggestion forum and we'll make sure they're added. Too late now for this vote as I've just finished the tally, but we still want them here if they belong. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 11:48am
Okay everyone, not being funny here, but next time we do a vote, you really must READ THE RULES.

The presentation has had to be recalculated twice already today, which not only makes muggins here who spends his time putting it together more work, it makes it take even longer before any of you can see the result. First time was because someone voted for a live album as their number two album. Live albums have never been permitted in an MMA Best Of Vote. The second time was for a Non-Metal album which wasn't picked up on until the presentation was in its second to last stage. And that's an even bigger continual problem. This is ultimately a metal vote, yet we see continual insistence of trying to slip Non-Metal into the list and making it even worse, giving those albums a fuckton of points, which just makes even more work adjusting the presentation when I pick up on them (usually at the point I'm about to insert them into it!). It needs to stop. As does trying to vote for artists and releases which are not even here, as at least one submission was made up of about half of, which again slows down the presentation's release. We do not mind you voting for things not here (so long as they should be of course) but you MUST report the act/release for addition if you're not a collab and add it yourself if you are. 

The rules for MMA best of votes have been standard for a while now. Yet every time I have to try to make things even more clearer than they already are. And yet still the rules are not being followed, which without sugar coating it, is pissing me off. And I am seriously considering making this one my last MMA presentation.

So just to be clear, these are the rules I expect you to follow when you vote. They are basic, fair and most voters manage it (and yes this size text WILL be used on the next rules since people aren't reading them - maybe then they will take notice):

No FUCKING NON-METAL

Only Full-Lengths, and Approved EPs/Splits - No Other Release Types and No Exceptions.

Lists ONLY in the designated submission format. There was even an example of what it should look like for Best of Decade. Next time, if there is a next time, I really will follow through on the threat of not counting any list which ignores this. It's requested for a reason. 

Thank you. The presentation is coming along nicely now, provided I don't see something else that's slipped under my radar that fucks it up again. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 2:03pm
Sorry for yesterday's outburst, but the point still stands. Please just think about these things next time around. This is a very time consuming job.

Anyway, the results are in and published! 

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16356&FID=79&PR=3&title=mma-best-of-the-decade-2010s-results" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16356&FID=79&PR=3&title=mma-best-of-the-decade-2010s-results

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk