Print Page | Close Window

Judas Priest - Painkiller in power metal?

Printed From: MetalMusicArchives.com
Category: Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements
Forum Name: Report errors & omissions here
Forum Description: Seen a mistake in a band bio etc then please tell us
URL: http://www.MetalMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10392
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 4:23pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Judas Priest - Painkiller in power metal?
Posted By: powermetal2000
Subject: Judas Priest - Painkiller in power metal?
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 2:24pm
Judas Priest's classic heavy metal album Painkiller is strangely placed in power metal on this site. Please fix.

Replies:
Posted By: adg211288
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 3:15pm
There isn't anything to fix. While Painkiller contains both heavy and power metal aspects we have determined that the power metal elements are dominant. It's a very early power metal album of course, being released in 1990 and definitely isn't representative of the so called 'cheesy' style of power metal more easily identified, but power metal is a more diverse genre than just keyboard laden stuff. The speed and technique of the riffs in particular on Painkiller are very power metal based on the majority of the tracks, and that's what really counts when we pick where we place albums on MMA. It's an oddity within the JP discography, much like the following Jugulator, which is placed in thrash metal on account of being more of a groove metal album. 

-------------
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
https://premium.gg2u.org?referrer=adg211288" rel="nofollow - GG2U

https://adamsfilmcorner.quora.com/" rel="nofollow - Adam's Film Corner on Quora

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 3:22pm
That would be a great argument if Painkiller was power metal at all, but it's not. Heavy metal with some speed metal at most. I know my power metal and Painkiller isn't it.

Also you really can't compare Painkiller to Jugulator. Jugulator isn't even a real Priest album.

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 4:00pm
I'm sorry but you are going to need more than "I know my power metal" to support your case

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 4:12pm
I don't really know what you want me to say. To me it is so obviously not power metal that I don't even know how to justify that it isn't.

Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by powermetal2000 powermetal2000 wrote:

Also you really can't compare Painkiller to Jugulator. Jugulator isn't even a real Priest album.

Of course it is a real Priest album!

-------------

Posted By: Dobbie03
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 5:30pm
How can Jugulator not be a "real" Priest album? 

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 5:38pm
Sorry but in my world Priest without Halford isn't right. Ripper's good but he wasn't right for Priest.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 5:41pm
I personally thought he did a stand up job.  He had massive shoes to fill and I think he got a bit of a raw deal from some of the hardcore Priest fans.

Saying that though I do prefer Halford albums over the Ripper ones.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 5:58pm

Sorry but in my world Priest without Halford isn't right. Ripper's good but he wasn't right for Priest.

The album was released by Judas Priest, so it's a real Judas Priest album regardless who the vocalist is. It's fine that you will not accept it as a real Judas Priest album (there are many albums by many artists that I feel the same way about), but, objectively speaking, it is a Judas Priest album.

Also, I think that Tim Owen's did a great job, in particular on Jugulator. Still, nothing thrilled me more than hearing Halford sing on Angel of Retribution.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Still, nothing thrilled me more than hearing Halford sing on Angel of Retribution.

Tell me about it!! \m/

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 6:05pm
... especially 'Demonizer', 'Deal with the Devil' and 'Judas Rising'.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 6:08pm

... especially 'Demonizer', 'Deal with the Devil' and 'Judas Rising'.

Rob Halford has this really (this sounds cheesy) special presence about him.  He's a legend.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 6:13pm
Quote Rob Halford has this really (this sounds cheesy) special presence about him.  He's a legend.

There's no denying that.

But I think that the bashing of Tim Owens was really uncalled for, and, I must admit that there are a couple of Halford-fronted albums that I enjoy less than Jugulator, such as Ram It Down and Point of Entry.

-------------

Posted By: adg211288
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 6:25pm
I think that the following Demolition is rather weak but Jugulator I actually quite like. 

-------------
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
https://premium.gg2u.org?referrer=adg211288" rel="nofollow - GG2U

https://adamsfilmcorner.quora.com/" rel="nofollow - Adam's Film Corner on Quora

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 6:26pm

Quote Rob Halford has this really (this sounds cheesy) special presence about him.  He's a legend.

There's no denying that.

But I think that the bashing of Tim Owens was really uncalled for, and, I must admit that there are a couple of Halford-fronted albums that I enjoy less than Jugulator, such as Ram It Down and Point of Entry.

I agree it was totally unnecessary, and unfortunately for Ripper he got the same raw deal when he sang for Iced Earth.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 6:40pm
I think that both Priest and Iced Earth did a much better job at choosing Ripper as a vocalist than Iron Maiden did when they went with Bayley (who also got an undeserved raw deal from the fans IMO).

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 7:08pm

I think that both Priest and Iced Earth did a much better job at choosing Ripper as a vocalist than Iron Maiden did when they went with Bayley (who also got an undeserved raw deal from the fans IMO).

Totally agree.  Blaze is a great singer but I don't think he suited Maiden.

Posted By: Unitron
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 7:33pm
Yeah, I like Jugulator too. Of course I prefer Halford-fronted Priest, but Jugulator is a pretty good album for what it is.

-------------
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 6:00am
Originally posted by Dobbie03 Dobbie03 wrote:

Totally agree.  Blaze is a great singer but I don't think he suited Maiden.

Yeah, he does a perfect job on Wolfsbane's Down Fall the Good Guys for example.

-------------

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 6:04pm

I don't really know what you want me to say. To me it is so obviously not power metal that I don't even know how to justify that it isn't.
We aren't going to change it just because you in specific want to, and from what I've seen your case is pretty bad, especially when you insult a fairly good Priest album. I disagree on the move. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk