MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation >Post Reply
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply - King Diamond appreciation thread

Name:

Emoticons
Smile Tongue Wink
Cry Big smile LOL
Dead Embarrassed Confused
Clap Angry Ouch
Star Shocked Sleepy
more...
   NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image
Powered by Web Wiz CAPTCHA version 4.03 wwf
Copyright ©2005-2013 Web Wiz
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 6:20am By Vic
I would rather say that In the Shadows and Time (both) are a step down from the first two Mercyful Fate and the first five King Diamond albums. I really don't hear a major difference in quality between ...Shadows and Time to be honest. Both contain a few stellar songs and a couple of truly King Diamond-calibre masterpieces (Is That You Melissa? and Time, respectively). 

Egypt, My Demon, The Mad Arab, the rendition of Return of the Vampire with Lars on drums (his last truly good performance imo - check how Ghost has stolen the chorus of that song in their song Ritual, the one with the Symphony of Destruction riff! *wink*), The Old Oak (that one would be an epic if it was recorded with the 84 lineup, or the Abigail one...). All great metal songs, so unique both in sound and composition style, it just goes to show you what an unbelievable entity King Diamond is for metal music. And there are plenty more to be found throughout his MF/KD careers after, unfortunately scattered. 9 has a few dynamites as well (3rd fave in the post-84 stuff), Sold My Soul is a catchy gem for example, with that special KD flavor in the vocal lines (that aaaaahhhh-aahhh stuff!) to give it an edge. 

What I am trying to say is that compared to the first 7 albums in KD's career, in my personal, informed but also rather biased opinion, only the Greats can be compared, the huge names of metal. A 7 streak is a huge rarity in the entire rock genre, it is not something to be brushed aside lightly. Including the impact factor and the unforgettable place in the metal universe. Iron Maiden, who can also claim such a monstrous number of classics (although the first two MF demolish the DiAnno albums imo - and I like those very much) released No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark. I daresay I'd take the MF albums easily over those. I'd only keep the three obvious songs from FoTD to be honest. And let us not forget the X-Factor and Virtual XI. Spider's Lullaby and Graveyard, eyes closed for me. 

My point of course is not a KD vs IM streak but to point out that such a comparison is absolutely conceivable, on all fronts (albums, individuality, skill, album covers etc) and to further suggest that King Diamond is the only metal artist I can think of who kept his streak on such a dignified level, even though he had spent himself over two bands releasing albums regularly. At least, I can think of no other. In the Shadows and Time are two albums that any metal band would be proud to have released and that is not written lightly like the cliche that follows many a dud... 

Just listen to these melodies. They are so pure King Diamond genius that they still get me after all these years. The beautiful guitar solos simply rise to the occasion.

Respect to Michael Denner for that last solo. 

Seriously guys. Those two belong in the pantheon of ROCK MUSIC.

.......aaaaaand my King Diamond fanboyism display is now over! :)

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.129 seconds.