MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation >Post Reply
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply - Progressive Metal Discussion Thread

Name:

Emoticons
Smile Tongue Wink
Cry Big smile LOL
Dead Embarrassed Confused
Clap Angry Ouch
Star Shocked Sleepy
more...
   NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image
Powered by Web Wiz CAPTCHA version 4.03 wwf
Copyright ©2005-2013 Web Wiz
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.

Topic - Progressive Metal Discussion Thread
Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 7:55am By Colt
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I love prog metal for the same reasons that I love prog rock: the complexitities, genre transgressions, and that it's typically different from other types of popular music - but then again, I've always thought that metal as such was more progressive than other genres of popular music. I mean the time changes and complexities have been there since the day of Black Sabbath and Deep Purple and many extreme metal (and non-extreme metal bands) bands use completely unorthodox song structures. That is one of the reasons why I don't buy into the rigidity-of-meta- argument that I encounter in some prog rock circles. Also, how can an ever developing genre with so many subgenres as metal even be considered rigid?

Anyway.My favorite prog metal acts are the obvious ones: Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Psychotic Waltz and Queensr�che. In addition, I like a number of progressive extreme metal bands like Cynic, Atheist, Obscura, Death, Invocator and Pestilences "Spheres" and progressive power metal bands like Symphony X and Anubis Gate. There are also bands which are not always considered progressive metal bands as such, but who, I think, a worthy of the progressive tag - namely Iron Maiden with their changes of tempo, epic tracks, guitar harmonies and so on, and Mercyful Fate with their completely different approach to song structures and Coheed and Cambria (who are probably not even considered metal by many) with their conceptual lyrical universe.

Progressive metal has been derided as being pretentious and all technique and no heart, but, to be honest, what I like a bout it is the more cerebral approach to music and all the thought that's behind the music. I do find odd time signature and unusual chord progressions and the like inspiring and I love the fact that many progressive metal songs have so many different parts that listening to one song equals the experience of listening to a whole album in other genres.

So very very well put and summarises my feelings towards Prog Metal precisely! Clap

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.055 seconds.