MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation >Post Reply
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply - Progressive Metal Discussion Thread

Name:

Emoticons
Smile Tongue Wink
Cry Big smile LOL
Dead Embarrassed Confused
Clap Angry Ouch
Star Shocked Sleepy
more...
   NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image
Powered by Web Wiz CAPTCHA version 4.03 wwf
Copyright ©2005-2013 Web Wiz
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.

Topic - Progressive Metal Discussion Thread
Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 4:41am By MAVIIIVAM
Somewhere around MMA I wrote that I got "The Bleeding" from Psychotic Waltz Drummer
Norm Leggio himself (he ran from their Studio!) in San Diego after the Store Manager of
"Blue Meanie Records" called him to get a copy Big smile.
I have all the original 1st printings of their CD's and I enjoy them often (and various Tracks
on my homemade Prog Compilations).  I bought my 1st-"Through the Everflow" as a blind
buy "Used" for 99� at The Warehouse Records (when they began selling used CD's) and
was really shocked how great they were! (I judged the album by the cover and the song
titles/Song lengths, so I bought it)!

PoS, I was reading about them in a now long gone Metal Mag called "Ill Literature" and was
intrigued by the Cover of "One Hour by the Concrete Lake" and bought it at the Tower Records
I'd eventually work at in Santa Monica Ca. (3rd St. Promenade).
Was really blown away by his Vocals/Lyrics and the incredible musicianship all around.
"Scar Sick" has been growing on me, the last EP was a dissapointment, but I know that "Road
Salt" is losing alot of fans, but me and 3 others on our way to see Iron Maiden 3 months ago
listened to it . . . ALL of us were really blown away, its not even Prog . . .
its . . . something else Ermm I'd say . . . Avant Garde! Daniel has truely reinvented the Band Smile.

I'm a Late bloomer on Symphony X as "V" was my 1st buy and listen when it debuted, Russell
Allen is truely one of the best Metal vocalists out there.  I prefer V-post era, but am listening to
many songs from earlier albums at my fave Prog Internet Station where there are many fans.

Opeth I had been reading about (same Mag mentioned) throughout their career up till "Still
Life", and did NOT hear them till that album, until I saw them open for "Nevermore (Dead Heart
in a Dead World Tour)" and they toured for "Blackwater Park" . . . A M A Z I N G! Clap
Instant fan, Still Life was my 1st buy, then Blackwater, and went backwards! LOVE every
album after, I'm a fanboy.  Soilwork, My Dying Bride, Gardenian, Extol, Edge of Sanity
("Crimson") and Opeth were the 1st bands I heard use the Death Metal and Clean Vocals
simultaneously, but the Acoustic Guitars into Double Bass, Guitar Riffage brutality . . .
Opeth (and My Dying Bride) I think are being forgotten that they started a new age of
Melodic Death Metal.

Jon Olivias Pain . . .
I'm getting my listens at that Station, its okay, I was a Savatage Fan from "Sirens" on, and saw Jon
at the 1st Annual BAR Fest in San Francisco (Bay Area Rock Fest) with 7 other Prog Metal acts.
He would rant about the current-at-the-time Savatage, talk about "Snorting Coke" and other stuff
and me and my friend were just looking at each other just shaking our heads . . .
Between Songs-He just sat at his Keyboard Ranting and wild eyed, "Huge" bloated and looking
. . . sad Unhappy.
I think this man has not gotten over his Brothers passing (Chris Oliva), he was one of the best
Metal Guitarists out there.  Find some OLD footage of Savatage on YOUtube and see how Jon
has changed.

. . . but I'll have to give his new album a listen.

I'm a HUGE Ayreon fan too Big smile Arjen Luccasen is not only a genius, but his side projects are just
as good and has a GREAT ear for talent and many of my fave vocalists have graced his projects.
Cant wait for the NEW "Star One" album!

Its funny . . .
About a year after I 1st got Ayreons "The Universal Migrator I" and "II", I thought I had seen Arjen
before, I flipped through my Metal LP's and saw his Pic behind this Album Tongue:

UM I and II were from soo long ago, I never would imagine that reading about him and Ayreon
in Progressions Magizine, that he'd be soo HUGE today Smile.

Rawks

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 02 Sep 2010 at 5:20am

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.090 seconds.