MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation >Post Reply
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply - King's X Appreciation Thread

Name:

Emoticons
Smile Tongue Wink
Cry Big smile LOL
Dead Embarrassed Confused
Clap Angry Ouch
Star Shocked Sleepy
more...
   NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image
Powered by Web Wiz CAPTCHA version 4.03 wwf
Copyright ©2005-2013 Web Wiz
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.

Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 4:13am By MAVIIIVAM
Good to see fans here Smile,

I have been into them since their debut and seeing the Vid "King" on MTV, from there I was hooked and got the 1st 2 albums on LP, and then collected their CD's (and rare Single CD's) ever since.  I also have ALL the "colours" of the "Dogman" album (though I thought I saw an Orange one too).
Though I have missed out on the more "Rare" solo albums of Doug, Jerry and Ty that are put out by friend of Kings X from The Galactic Cowboys. Molken Music, an independent label started by Wally Farkas (Which apparently, he supplies himself  from time to time at Hollywoods "Amoeba Music" Record store).

I always describe the Band as:
Picture a Singer who is a tall thin Black man with Native American roots (Read "Picture" lyrics) who sang like a Gospel singer and plays various Basses including a "12 String", Ty Tabor who sings like John Lennon and makes his guitar scream with passion, and Jerry Gaskill who beats his 7 piece drum kit into submission with great groove and has a voice like George Harrison, whom all Harmonize vocals, into a Heavy Metal, Soul, Funk, Prog Infused musical explosion! Tongue
Say THAT 5 times real fast! LOL

"Ear Candy" is likely the last album to have that "sound", but I've been rediscovering others as well and liking what I hear with a new sense of openess.
Their 2 last albums "Ogre Tones" and "XV" seem to be going back to the sound that they started with, but a bit heavier, but also keeping the "Beatles'esque" songs and melodies in the mix.

My fave Songs though have to be "Summer Land" and "Pleiades" which apparently
is the signature song that gave the Band "Their Sound" thanks to Ty.

Summerland:

A fave side Project was "Supershine", who was Doug and Bruce Franklin of Trouble and they made an
explosive combination Big smile.  They also do an excellent version of the "Grand Funk Railroad" song "Shining On".

And Ty and "Platypus/Jelly Jam" with John Myung on Bass, Derek Sherinian on Keys (Member, and Ex-member of Dream Theater) and Rod Morgenstein on Drums (Dixie Dregs, Winger ). A Prog Metal/Jam Band.

Good stuff all around . . . and still havent seen them live (snif) they always come to LA at the wrong time Cry.

("Julie" is another beautiful song from "XV")

Wiki has a very comprehensive page on Kings X:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_X

Also try:
Atomic Opera and Galactic Cowboys Smile

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 08 Aug 2010 at 5:00pm

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.078 seconds.