Cry Big smile LOL
Dead Embarrassed Confused
Clap Angry Ouch
Star Shocked Sleepy
more...
   NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image
Powered by Web Wiz CAPTCHA version 4.03 wwf
Copyright ©2005-2013 Web Wiz
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.

Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 1:30pm By Balthamel
I am gonna talk/wrtie about 5 bands i think were vital for some of the evolution of the subgeneres sludge, stoner, and doom metal.

I pounder on many thoughts all the time about bands, sounds, innovation and development in certain direktions we know. if this is in the wrong section, then i think it should be moved

I often think it is funny to think of that two bands can have so much to say for some generes development (not that other bands have helped). Some bands are pretty much talked about from every soul in said generes, and most people in sludge sites bands like Neurosis and Melvins without even one seceond of time to think. they are massivly influentual, a third band i like to drag into the heat when influence on sludge (which is the most dominant genere of metal where most exieting stuff happens right now IMO) is Soundgarden, (who also were influenced by Melvins to some degree, but they are from same time/place of origin so the influence might go both ways, all these three bands are known for the slow, sludgy, Sabbath/Zeppelin styled guitar (which is dominant in sludge), Jane's Addiction ( a fairly new band to me) but i will also say they are an influentual band to these types of generes, from what i hear and read they were early with incorporating proggy elements into the alternative style of metal or sludgy metal since alternative is a very broad term. Alice in Chains is the 5th band i would like to drag out into my text as a influentual force for these styles their doomy, often dark imagery and sound were important to the sludge development.  (their are probably other bands but i base my groundless hypothese/hypocracy Wink, on these 5 bands).

Sludge and Stoner are often very similar i think, both have the slow heavy metal sound and futher on Doom metal which also is a related style to these but even slower. i don't claim to be an expert on sludge metal but im very interested in it as a phenomenom since it is a very experimental genere, and the bands in it often are very free spirited, eclectic and seems to have different yet interesting philosophys, and motivs for their music to make it as exieting and individual as possible.

that is why i chosed those 5 bands as example to where it started all the 5 bands are known for being very indipendent, and yet they are labeld they escape the labeld put on them which also is similar to many sludge/doom/stoner metal bands,   Isis is sludge but also many other things, Baroness is also sludge but also something differentm, Agaloch is sludge but also black and other things.

so the main theme here is bands that early on in the 80s (or mid 80s) early takes on the Sabbath/Zeppelin/Blue Cheer/psych guitar and sound, and slowed it down, or reenginted with new life, and gave it a modern sound but also used their indipendent phiosophy or mentality and did what they felt for with it and influenced a heck of bands, some bands in the 80s propelled it (Janes Addiction, Melvins, Neurosis, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains) some bands in the 90s developed on teh ideas (Kyuss, Clutch, Tool, At the Drive-In (bringing ina post-hardcore band) and 90s Pantera is also i would say important of some ideas in Sludge) but i tend to focus on the alternative side of the development and not the metal-side of the cake.

Edited by Balthamel - 27 Oct 2011 at 1:34pm

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.125 seconds.