Cry Big smile LOL
Dead Embarrassed Confused
Clap Angry Ouch
Star Shocked Sleepy
more...
   NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image
Powered by Web Wiz CAPTCHA version 4.03 wwf
Copyright ©2005-2013 Web Wiz
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.

Topic - BDSM - Bartosso's Daily Saturnine Musings
Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 12:37pm By bartosso
Never say... "perfect"

Just a short thought that I might rewrite into something more "serious" in the foreseeable future if it proves good enough. I try to keep distance from my ideas for some time, they often turn out to be ridiculous despite seeming great at first glance. 

So, it's basically a kind of extension of my first article here, the one on numeral ratings and why they suck satan's scaly member. You know, when you give a 10/10 rating and that would mean the album is 100% perfect, flawless, mind-blowingly awesome and you should totally buy it now IT"S worth EVERY PENNY! etc., you know, that kind of PERFECT bullshit. First of all, I strongly believe there's no such thing as "perfection", even less so when it comes to art. That's why perfectionists are never happy - they just keep improving stuff until they die. Funny, cause death is one of those rare, pure phenomena that I'd actually dare to call perfect. Hah, ironic. Would that mean we're all perfectionist as we all die, eventually? Okay, I'm getting carried away. Right...

I'm loosing steam already. Perfection, la la, what was I about to... ah okay. Language. Language is inherently imperfect. Language is imperfect. Even this short statement is imprecise and therefore can be interpreted in many different ways. We don't have time to talk about linguistics here, though. It's just a canvas for my main thought: Imperfection is beautiful. Language is a code, it's imperfect so it leaves room for interpretation, for vagueness. Hence it's beautiful. DNA, the code of evolution is imperfect, flawed - AND THAT"S WHY we exist by the way, we were such an evolutionary fuck-up, that we needed to develop two most dreaded, disgusting features (or you can count them as one), self-awareness and intelligence, in order to survive. And look at us now: lost, conflicted and violent; neurotic and gentle or cold like degenerated predators. We invented perfection even though (or because) we're the least perfect of all things. Fuck, it's got so deep, I can barely reach the keyboard. Depths of metaphysics, I feel like a poor imitation of Emil Cioran right now! He loved those nihilistic aphorisms. They didn't make much sense sometimes but boy, did they sound good!

Alright, final thought, I'm tired. Please, if I may consider myself entitled to ask you to do so, next time you'll be about to use the word "perfect", ask yourself what do you actually love about the piece of art you're referring to: the fact it's "perfect" and works like a swiss clockwork, almost like it was not created by a human being but by a supercomputer, or for what it is, with all its imperfections, human weaknesses and subtleties? Yeah, all that may depend on your taste, the genre and so on and so forth, but I think it lets you write a review or voice an opinion that is not about your rating, your assessment but about the music itself. I myself am still trying to put this idea into practice, and even though it may not work "perfectly" just yet, I certainly feel better now, every time I voice an opinion about a piece of art. It just seems fairer to me to just say "I love it, and there's why..." instead of "not exactly a perfect masterpiece, buuuuuuut...". You know what I mean? Was it all obvious to you from the start? Oh well...

Edited by bartosso - 01 Apr 2015 at 2:59pm

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.063 seconds.