Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MIKE PORTNOY LEAVES DT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I wonder if this will affect their status on Roadrunner Records.  Will the label "force" a drummer on them or anything (I've heard some odd stories about that label)?  I've heard people mention Joey Jordison's name, but he'd be a poor fit IMO.  If Mike's absence is for more than 1 album, will Roadrunner keep them around?

The name Joey Jordison is always the Brick to a Glass House LOL  I think Joey should also be every
Plumber, Insurance Salesmen and Astronaut as well Tongue . . .
How about a "Drummer"? Ha! Juss KEEDING!!! Shocked (maybe...).

I dont want to THINK of who to replace Portnoy just yet because I just think they all need a break, and
tempers are flaring because this is a band that started with, Myung, Petrucci, Portnoy (and Moore
respectively), room-mates that get tired of each other and want their own "space".
Now they will have it and it will either be a comfortable change or a phantom limb . . .

I dont want to think who a replacement (God thats awful) would be but I HAVE Unhappy, Ive had
discussions already with a few friends-as far as names, the 2 that stood out were Virgil Donati and
Mark Zonder, as we want to think this may be a "1 Album thing" and the guys will come back together.
But  there are SOOO many Drummers out there, that I think they need to find an unknown who has the
chops and needs a break, I see him as the "Derek Sherinian" of DT, 1 album (and an EP) and then he
goes off to make a fortune on his own and other Projects-takes it all in as a learning experience . . .
but hey, they may like each other and WE may like "him" as well.

I dont believe Roadrunner is that type of Label to enforce some sort of "Sort it out or Get Out" policy
with DT, DT knows better to sign a Contract like that from their "Falling Into Infinity" sessions and the
Years with Elektra/Atco.  And RR knows the future value of DT, even if unknown-they will have an
investment of a creative future and be part of its new adventure into the unknown creatively.

I want Portnoy back, but I want them all to have a break and come back when they are creatively
ready and not be under any duress.  I guess I'll save more for later, I'm a fan of each member and
from the past, they ALL fit DT in my opinion and all have had experiences that they have taken and
become even better musicians.  All are virtuoso's and so is Portnoy and his style of Drumming that
was tailor made for DT . . . well, it was his band with Petrucci and Myung, he can do what he wants
cant he Wink (and I believe he was gracious enough to be as sensitive as possible to let the
members of DT carry on the Dream Theater banner, yes-the "Biz" may force that contractualy, but I
know that Mike wants to stay away from "Yes VS ABWH/Chris Squire VS Jon Anderson" territory
and keep the friendships bonded by blood, sweat, tears and success).
Smile

Oh and by the way, their are alot of Bands on RR's label that dont go anywhere or have "Cult
Followings", so I dont think this situation at all hurts DT in the slightest, only that they lose a friend
and Icon behind their Kit and sound Cry.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 09 Sep 2010 at 9:18pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 4:10pm

Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

I wonder if this will affect their status on Roadrunner Records.  Will the label "force" a drummer on them or anything (I've heard some odd stories about that label)?  I've heard people mention Joey Jordison's name, but he'd be a poor fit IMO.  If Mike's absence is for more than 1 album, will Roadrunner keep them around?

I think not. They are one of the biggest bands in Roadrunner, that would be ludicrous. Unlike their times in Atco/Eastwest/Warner, where they were just another fish in the ocean, now they are a big fish in a small lake.

Pretty improbable IMO.

You're probably right.  There would probably need to be a significant drop in album sales for RR to drop Dream Theater.  Probably their fans are too loyal to let that happen, but I bet some RR execs are still going to lose a significant amount of sleep over this.

Sales wise the band is actually doing the best in almost 15 years (6th on billboard on the first week), topping artists and bands that are more known and popular.  Only if they dropped really bad sales wise the label may say something, IMO. But as you said, they have a considerable cult following (me included LOL).
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 4:59pm
Oh the parrallels between Dream Theater and Toto seems to never end, and now DT is faced with the task of replace an ireplaceable member ( a drummer), Toto was forced to replace an Irreplaceable drummer, the Heart and Soul of the band (David Paich was the brain, Jeff was the heart and Soul, the other were asked to joyn in Toto is Dave and Jeff), a new Drummer maight indicate a change in focuspoint, new direction, new groove, new voice in the band refreshment.

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:15pm
On a slightly related note, I stumbled upon this interview where Portnoy discusses some of his recent activities.  It's weird hearing him discuss the future of DT that he now won't be a part of, and he talks about wanting to stop writing DT lyrics as he has lots of other things going on.

http://vimeo.com/14827294
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 8:52pm
^ Interesting...
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 3:43am
Never gonna happen, but I'd like to hear DT with Mark Zonder behind the kit.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 4:13am
As always,

My extended "Prog Family" at PrOgulus weighed in on it all and had great comments, opinions and
"suggestions", which you can read here:
http://www.progulus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=618

> progulus.com
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 5:34am
I think DT can easily find someone who can replicate MP's parts, but they'll never find someone with the same level of engagement and creativity.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 6:22am
Agree! Smile Thumbs Up

. . . waaaAAAAAAAaaaaa!!! Cry

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 6:30am
Would be cool if MP joined FW ;-)
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 6:47am
LOL
Alder stays with Redemption and John Arch comes back when Portnoy demands to play more
Thrashier Prog ala' Awaken the Guardian/No Exit Tongue!
Then the DT Family Tree decides to do a Prog Fest! WOOHOO! . . . everyone is happy again Big smile!

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 13 Sep 2010 at 6:48am

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 6:58am
Heheheheh..... I quite like Ray Alder though, but I still am very very impressed with John Arch's solo EP; his voice is just fantastic. Anyway, I hope that MP and DT will sort it out eventually; I think that he'll rejoin the band at some point. Maybe it's a bit like Dave Lombardo leaving Slayer only to return re-inspired and re-invigorated after having done some other stuff.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 7:10am
Ray Alder has been awesome with Fates Warning Wink.
I know they are working on a new album apparently with Frank Aresti (WOOOOHOOO!) back on
2nd Guitar and Bobby Jarzombek on Drums!!!!! Thumbs Up

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 7:15am
Wicked! :-)
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 9:09am
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

Ray Alder has been awesome with Fates Warning Wink.
I know they are working on a new album apparently with Frank Aresti (WOOOOHOOO!) back on
2nd Guitar and Bobby Jarzombek on Drums!!!!! Thumbs Up

I hope this is true.  I haven't heard anything about Fates Warning in the studio for a while.  I've only been listening to FW for around 3-4 years, so I'm really looking forward to enjoying a new release for the first time as a fan. Smile
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 9:27am
I hope it'll be more in the vein of their 90s stuff than their 00s stuff.
kogaionon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kogaionon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 3:13pm
while the last albums were composed by portnoy and petrucci, this news makes me think if the next albums will sound better than black lines or some other images/awake ripoff
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 3:01pm
In related news, DT will supposedly audition seven hand-picked drummers in two week's time:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=147378
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic