MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fredrik Thordendal works on new Solo album!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fredrik Thordendal works on new Solo album!!!
    Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 4:38am
Well,

Seems like its been "talk" for sometime but now has been confirmed on Video Clap . . .
Guitarist Extraordinare of Meshuggah Fredrik Thordendal is currently recording his follow-up
to what was his only Solo album under the name "Special Defects": Sol Niger Within.

The Meshuggah Forum has been following it while they hurl insults at each-other and shite on
newbies, so I didnt bother to ask any questions.
But they did have these 2 Links of news from sources and Morgan Agren's Face Book page:
http://www.metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/meshuggahs-fredrik-thordendal-working-solo-record

Morgan �gren
appeared as Drummer on "Sol Niger Within" and apparently on the new album.
Heres their -all too familiar to us fans, Vid on Swedish TV (whos playing lead?Tongue):

Soilwork Drummer Dirk Verbeuren is also to appear on the new album Smile.
Heres further news:
http://www.metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/info-meshuggah-guitarist-fredrik-thordendals-solo-record-surfaces

AH-HAA!!! Video Proof!
Fred has had a YOUtube Channel since 2009 but has only 1 video LOL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FredrikThordendal

Should I be more afraid of the 8 string or Mr. Thordendal? (I say the 8 strings).
. . . or is this Terry Gilliam?

My prediction that the Album will make him a Household name across America and will be invited
on "American Idol" and "America's got Talent" as a Judge and play guitar with the Jonas Brothers
as a session musician . . . but refuse to play "along" and play their music HIS way. . . . becomes an
instant superstar in Top40 music Clap.
Sweden then rejects him and every Metal band from Sweden holds him to a higher standard as
being rebelious, so goes Metal in Sweden and the genre collapses . . .

THE END.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 02 Sep 2010 at 5:00am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 11:45pm
This is the single best news of the year for me. His solo album is one of my favorite albums ever and he is one hell of a tallented composer and guitarrist.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 1:28am
I cant believe it . . .
ALL these years enjoying Version "3.33" to find out 2 (maybe more) Tracks were omitted from the
Original pressing! WaaaAAAAAAAAACry!!!! Now I must scower the Earth for the original Copy Confused.
Hopefully Fred will Re-Release another Version with ALL the Tracks.

I have been saying since 1st hearing this album, then being lucky enough to buy it at a CD Store
that it be great if Fred had the time to do another, so we can hear more of his "Soloing", I love
Meshuggah but I miss the solos that are prevalent on Destroy Erase Improve.
I'm with you CCVP great album and I just couldnt believe a guy from YOUtube reached me to let
me know he was Recording Big smile.

Here are the 2 Sections with the Original "Church Organ" Madness!!!:
Part 3 section-

Part 4 section-

Wiki on Thordendal:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredrik_Thordendal
On Sol Niger Within:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Niger_Within

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 03 Sep 2010 at 1:33am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 2:03am
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

I cant believe it . . .
ALL these years enjoying Version "3.33" to find out 2 (maybe more) Tracks were omitted from the
Original pressing! WaaaAAAAAAAAACry!!!! Now I must scower the Earth for the original Copy Confused.
Hopefully Fred will Re-Release another Version with ALL the Tracks.

I have been saying since 1st hearing this album, then being lucky enough to buy it at a CD Store
that it be great if Fred had the time to do another, so we can hear more of his "Soloing", I love
Meshuggah but I miss the solos that are prevalent on Destroy Erase Improve.
I'm with you CCVP great album and I just couldnt believe a guy from YOUtube reached me to let
me know he was Recording Big smile.

Yes, the original version is as awesome as it can get. Unfortunately, just because I live where I live, I can't get my hands on the CD itself. I either have to pay 150 dollars to buy it or get the crappy remixed version. This is actually part of a blog entry I have been working on to post on PA: The problem of buying music in the periferal areas of the world: living behind the World Wide Schengen Wall (or something like that).  I mean, it is damn hard to buy culture (books, CDs, attend to concerts, etc) here, not only bacuse of the abusive prices (mainly because of the higher-that-European taxes), but  also the lack of investment and interest.

But it is not all that bad, believe it or not. The CD prices have been falling for some time and it is not as bad as buying books (as long as costs go). One day if I ever travel overseas i'll maybe be able to buys some of those stuff.

Edited by CCVP - 03 Sep 2010 at 2:05am
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 2:21am
Awesome!

Got "Sol Niger Within" from Amazon and it was brilliant.

Good news.
Atheist is working on that new album and I heard Symphony X will be as well.
I am a happy Scotsman!
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 2:26am
I understand Unhappy,

I have a friend at Progulus.com from Brasil by the name of "arcarneiro" who has the same problem,
and he is into Prog and Math/Tech-Prog/Metal as well.  I saw something in the Documentary for
"Global Metal" or one of the others Docs that there is a "Heavy Metal Plaza" somewhere in Brasil
(Sao Paulo perhaps)?
I would imagine though, its filled with the easier stuff to find.

MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 2:58am
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Awesome!

Got "Sol Niger Within" from Amazon and it was brilliant.

Good news.
Atheist is working on that new album and I heard Symphony X will be as well.
I am a happy Scotsman!

Ha!
Like a "Highlander" ya' snuck in in-between me editing my last post in answer to CCVP Tongue.

Yup, well aware of Athiest, Symphony X AND another J�rn and Russel album too Wink.
(And NEW "Star One" Clap).

I'm interested to know if Thordendal would actually "Tour" the Solo album Thumbs Up?

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 03 Sep 2010 at 3:00am

CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 3:10am
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

I understand Unhappy,

I have a friend at Progulus.com from Brasil by the name of "arcarneiro" who has the same problem,
and he is into Prog and Math/Tech-Prog/Metal as well.  I saw something in the Documentary for
"Global Metal" or one of the others Docs that there is a "Heavy Metal Plaza" somewhere in Brasil
(Sao Paulo perhaps)?
I would imagine though, its filled with the easier stuff to find.

Well, lemme get you a better picture. Rock and roll and heavy metal in Brazil are pretty strong. metal-archives have an static thing that shows that BR is the thinrd country in number of bands. That isactually no surprise for me. Where live (southestern region) has the strongest musical scene in the contry in every regard (obviously including metal and progressive rock, being the latter my greatest passion) and S�o Paulo is the strongest for that matter also, not only because it is the most populated state, but also because it is the economical powerhouse of the contry, holding more that 30% of the contry's economy!

There are many metal joints throughout the southestern region, but the biggest ones are in S�o Paulo, without a doubt. The famouns Galeria do Rock is a whole shopping mall devoted entirely for rock music and heavy metal and it is the house of many independent metal and rock labels, such as Hellion Records.

http://www.portalgaleriadorock.com.br/

However, in my case, there are some setbacks. First, I don't live in S�o Paulo, nor in Rio, nor in Belo Horizonte, the big metropolies in the region, I live in Vit�ria, Esp�rito Santo ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vit%C3%B3ria,_Brazil ), which is 550 KM away from the nearest of the three (Rio), making it specially expensive to go to any important concert, virtually doubling of tripling the price of everything I go see. Secondly, ins spite of having a pretty strong internal scene, most albums I wanna buy are imports and Brazil have a 50% taxation on everything costing up to U$60k and 100% above that, plus the currency thing (U$1 = R$1,7 / 1 euro = R$2,30), so you can see how things are pretty grim.

However, on the albums that are produced here, prices are much milder, usually ranging between R$10 to R$ 20. Even so, if i want to buy something over the internet I still have to pay for transportation fees, which cost something like R$6. Add to that the fack that I am currently unemployed. SmileSmileSmile Happy happy, joy joy.
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 4:12am
HELL YEAH! As I've mentioned I'm not a fan of Meshuggah, but Sol Niger Within was amazing... Would love something else like that.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 3:27pm
Awesome! I'm so stoked for this! There has never been an album quite like Sol Niger Within.

until now...Evil Smile
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
kogaionon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kogaionon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 3:29pm
i'm curious to listen to what this dude manages to do this time :D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image