MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arizona's Immigration Law

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arizona's Immigration Law
    Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 3:50am
I know there's not really a huge populace here yet to discuss such a weighty topic, but I figured I'd bring it up anyway to find some insight from people from other places.

I am from Arizona in the US. I have long regarded this state as the #1 state for irrational people. I'm fairly sure that the new immigration bill signed into effect earlier this year has garnered international coverage, though I'm not sure to what extent. For example, while in Arizona you can't bat an eyelash at a single news source without seeing something on SB 1070, I'm not sure how much of this is covered in Maine, England, or Australia.

Nevertheless, I'd appreciate some opinions from a wider crowd. If I need to explain the law I can. I also know that there are higher level courts that have already eliminated the more controversial parts of the law (I would know, I see this every day in the paper). Thoughts?
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 5:54am
Well, as you know, I am a European citizen recently immigrated to the US, so I have got a privileged point of view - as an insider and an outsider at the same time. Since I am interested in politics and current affairs, I have been following stories related to the Arizona immigration law since it was first formulated. My personal opinion (which may be held as highly controversial by many) is that I see too many things in this country that remind me of Germany in the early 1930s - namely, the trend towards making immigrants (illegal or otherwise) the convenient scapegoats for the economic crisis. This is happening in many parts of Europe too, including my own native country, and is not a good sign. 
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 3:15pm

I feel sorry fror the latinos as they will bear the brunt. It was alright for then to do the low paid work as no one else will but now times have changed economically with the downturn lets pick on the different ones whether they be inmmigrants,trade unionists ( call em' commies) gays or another religion

Australia were I come from.People are complaining about people ( refugees) arriving by boat and the a lot of the populace claim they are jumping the queue for immigration .The government has come up with a plan to dump them in either East Timor or if they lose the election in a week the Conservative opposition wants to ship them all back to Nauru and process them there which I will add some of these applications can take years. These boat people make up no more than 2% of refugee applications and 95% are still given residency.

I think we have an absolute cheek to ask other countries or coerce to take our problem. Another thing claimed is a lot of refugees destroy there passport,papers etc to make it difficult for authorities to identify them but say for example if you lived in Eritrea the time the war was going with Ethiopia how do you obtain papers when you have to cross a front line and then get to Adiss Ababa and apply for a passport ( with the wife and kids)

Afghans who would make up 50% of the boat arrivals can not apply in Afghanistan because we have no embassy there and so have to travel to Pakistan to make an application. We need to have an embassy in Kabaul. If its good enough to fight the war,security issues or not it is good enough to open an Embassy in Kabaul. That would help the situation.

I do not believe that I am left wing as most people who want these policies would want you to believe but just decent as most of these poor b*****ds are desperate who run from their Homeland.

Matt
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 6:57pm
^Indeed. In the 80s here we had many refugees in Arizona flown in from Guatemala and other war torn countries from the south. There was quite a bit of explosion in that, and many Guatemalan citizens were sent over the border to the dangerous border towns in Mexico based on the color of their skin.

I agree that while there should be a better policy on immigration, refugees must have some kind of break.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

^Indeed. In the 80s here we had many refugees in Arizona flown in from Guatemala and other war torn countries from the south. There was quite a bit of explosion in that, and many Guatemalan citizens were sent over the border to the dangerous border towns in Mexico based on the color of their skin.

I agree that while there should be a better policy on immigration, refugees must have some kind of break.
  Hear. Hear Clap
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic