MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

St Anger - bass player issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: St Anger - bass player issue
    Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 2:10pm
It's a well known fact  Robert Trujlillo didn't play a single note on St Anger, Bob Rock did all the bass work; why is Robert listed as the player, is it something official or something?

Edited by LittleBig - 21 Jul 2010 at 2:10pm
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 2:13pm
Good question.  When I was adding the names, the info that I read did say that Bob Rock played the bass, but Rob Trujillo was credited with bass.  I was going to follow up with that, but forgot.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 2:29pm
If you have seen the movie Some Kind of Monster, it shows quite clearly that Trujillo didn't play on the album...
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 2:33pm

I did not see that movie.  I have fixed accordingly. 

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 3:05pm
Robert Trujillo did play on the DVD that came with the CD, though.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Robert Trujillo did play on the DVD that came with the CD, though.

BTW, what's on that DVD?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 3:21pm
The band performing the entire album live in the studio/rehearsal space.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 3:24pm

interesting; I would like to see that, although I find St Anger to be a weak album.

Edited by LittleBig - 21 Jul 2010 at 3:24pm
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 3:25pm

That was the highlight of the album for me.  I preferred how the songs sounded live, though they are still below Metallica's standard.

I also remember In Flames released Come Clarity with studio/rehersal footage of the entire album, but the audio wasn't live. Angry
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 3:28pm
I guess I am a member of the rare breed of St. Anger lovers - I'd given up on the band after "Load" and "Reload", so "St. Anger" was a vast improvement - I just found it refreshing that they played fast music again.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 3:39pm
I wouldn't call myself a St. Anger lover, but I don't hate it either.  I don't think it is bad, and as a matter of fact the last time that I listened to it, I quite enjoyed it. 

Metallica always had a uniqueness to their sound that made them stand out from other thrash bands in my opinion.  I think part of any problem that I have with St. Anger, is by that point I had fully discovered progressive metal and I think it is this other music that made their music sound less interesting.  And I guess maybe that is what turns off many people on the album.  It wasn't "progressive" enough.  I'm not really sure.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 4:24pm
^ I don't think it's the  "not being progressive enough" the problem; the way I see it, the whole writing process was rather rushed, under pressure because they had a deadline (they initially promissed the album two years earlier). Newsted left so there was no bass player, that's why Bob Rock did the bass parts. James gave his worst vocal performance, he shouts, he moans, he yells, but I don't feel any anger as I was supposed to. A lot of the songs are repetitive, James repeates the same lyric several times, it didn't help IMO (mailing anger with you repeated 4-5 times is annoying).

4 good songs - The Unnamed Feeling, Shoot Me Again, Sweet Amber, My World, 2 so-so (Frantic, St Anger), 1 potentially great- the last song, ruined by the futile shouting at the end (kill kill kill kill...); the rest is rather forgetable.

Edited by LittleBig - 21 Jul 2010 at 4:27pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 5:32pm
I love progressive music, but I do not dismiss other music just because it isn't progressive. I lik St. Anger because of its ugliness and, as I mentioned earler, its being fast music.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 2:21pm
I absolutely loathe St. Anger. One of the worst metal albums I�ve had the displeasure of listening to. St. Anger was released long after my Metallica fanboy days were over, but of course I followed the development in Metallica�s sound hoping that one day they would return to the good old days of thrash. St. Anger is a harder edged and more raw album than the three albums preceeding it but boy what a mess. Especially the production is a big problem IMO. That snare drum sound is simply an abomination to my ears. The songwriting is very weak too and I�ve always had a hard time telling most of the songs apart. Man I could go on with the weak vocal performance and so forth but you get the picture right?

On a positive note St. Anger is actually quite a unique album. I haven�t heard anything like it before or since.

Edited by UMUR - 28 Jul 2010 at 2:22pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 5:21am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

On a positive note St. Anger is actually quite a unique album. I haven�t heard anything like it before or since.

Fortunately for you ;-)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 7:48am
^LOL
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 12:27am
Happened to go onto the St. Anger page and noticed the bonus dvd bass info missing, so I updated the line-up to what I think is the absolutely correct one. For example I removed the lead guitar from Kirk Hammett, because there hardly is any lead guitar on the album.

And to put my two cents in, St. Anger is a rather good album Wink
<- Click on this!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic