MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Did Led Zeppelin Rip Off Jake Holmes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alberto mu�oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did Led Zeppelin Rip Off Jake Holmes
    Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 4:53pm
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 4:58pm

I don't really see it other than using the phrase "dazed and confused". 

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 6:17pm
I agree with Scott here. Aside from this commonly used phrase, there's hardly any correlation. The chord progression is similar, but just watch this video and see all the other lawsuits in the making. Wink Whoever invented the "four chord pop song" should be cashing in soon...

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2010 at 3:12am
Nope!! you guys are wrong, here. Obviously you guys haven't heard the original Jake Holmes piece. Everything is there including the descending bass riff and part of the lyrics. It's clearly more than just inspiring yourself from a piece, Page should've never put his name on that

Same thing for Stairway To Heaven , partly lifted from Spirit's Taurus.
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2010 at 8:40am

You are right.  My opinion was formulated on the parts that were provided in the link. 

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 1:48am
While the Stones were the first to give credits to the original artistes, both Page and Blackmore stole more than once (Child in Time > Bombay Calling and Don & Dewey > Lazy  from Ut's a Beautiful Day)

Here is the full trackin streaming:

select THE ABOVE GROUND SOUND OF JAKE HOLMES (from 67) and it is the sixth track

(sorry in french)

And for Spirit's Taurus, it's not just the opening guitar line that was lifted, it's the full succession of chords that are rearranged throughout Stairway first 5 minutes;

Now this doesn't take away the fact that Zep and Purple version are superb in their own rights.

Edited by Sean Trane - 17 Jul 2010 at 1:52am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 2:12am
Yes, it is the same song. Like Lemon Song/Killing Floor and Child In Time/Bombay Calling, only more so.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic