MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poor genre choices for bands/albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conor Fynes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poor genre choices for bands/albums
    Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 1:02am
I'm finding that alot of these genre choices for bands are really to debate, or simply misinformed. Meshuggah for thrash metal... really?
Also, while I understand that things are not perfect at this point and there couldnt be a lot of attention paid to each artist being added this early on, some stuff definately needs to be put under reconsideration.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 2:05am
Meshuggah have been discussed and it was agreed that they were best placed in thrash metal. Some acts transcend any genre definition we tag them with. Seen from a metal point of view and not a progressive point of view Meshuggah is essentially a technical modern thrash metal act. Just because they are also progressive don�t mean that people who visit this site will expect to find Meshuggah in progressive metal. I�m sure most people who come here seeking metal will find it confusing to see Meshuggah and Dream Theater in the same sub.

My point is that we should always in borderline cases listen for the basis in a band�s sound and always try and place them in a sub where "metalheads" would expect to find them. PA definition do not and should not apply here.

Oh and any help tagging albums is always appreciated. We haven�t looked through all entries yet and we certainly haven�t tagged all albums correctly yet, so if you got suggestions, we will always look into those.

Edited by UMUR - 11 Jul 2010 at 2:07am
Charcaroth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charcaroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 4:18am
I think as many genres as possible should be added. Speed metal is conspicuously missing, for example. Perhaps the addition of subgenres like "doomcore" and "technical thrash metal" can eventually be considered as well.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 6:26am
We�ve discussed this and opted to keep it simple for now. Maybe when the site is a bit more established, we will have a discussion about additional sub genres again.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 9:23am
What the f**k is doomcore?!?!? 
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 10:01am
Some of those genre labels are really ridiculous... I understand that many people dig them, but I'm not really sure it's a good idea to have a multiplication of subgenre tags now. As UMUR said, however, we may think about it at a later date - when the site has really taken off. 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 10:20am
Yep and some of them are even misleading. I�ve seen as different bands as Slayer and Blind Guardian labelled with the speed metal tag. Pretty confusing if those two were placed in the same sub.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 10:54am
And I don't think that now is the time for genre w**kery.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charcaroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

What the f**k is doomcore?!?!? 

Bands like Crowbar and Neurosis.

Slayer's and Blind Guardian's first albums both fit under the genre of speed metal, ( Admittedly, BG fits much better than Slayer) but of course Slayer were much heavier and went in a thrash direction, while BG went in a power metal direction. I agree that genre labeling can be really murky and confusing, especially in metal. So, I hope there's a good way to eventually come up with enough good, solid genre types to fit every type of band accurately. I'm sure there's a happy medium in there somewhere. Smile

micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 6:01pm
true.. I dig what Raff and others are saying...  but can't see what the site is waiting for.. 2012 and all the sinners to congregate here LOL I have no idea what the hell is 'doomcore' ..sounds like something someone thought up to seperate themselves from 'deathcore' 'gorecore' 'bestialitycore' and all the core core's out there hahah.... but speed metal. That sounds like an obvious one that should be done.. sooner better than later. 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charcaroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 6:51pm
I think adding new genres is probably pretty work-intensive, for one thing, and rife with possible confusion and disagreement, for another. I'm in no hurry, but I hope a few will be added in the future at some point.

Doomcore and sludgecore are pretty close. The only distinction is that doomcore bands tend to be influenced by the funeral doom sound, while sludgecore bands are more influenced by stoner doom. I got curious and checked earlier, and right now, they're all tagged as "sludge/post metal" which makes better sense, since the distinction is so minimal. Sorry, I can be kind of an insufferable genre-stickler.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 3:38am
If we�re talking strictly about the thrash metal sub, I would have no problem re-naming the sub thrash metal/ speed metal/ crossover. I don�t think we should create additional subs for speed metal and crossover as they are closely related to thrash metal and sometimes the distinction between them is hard to tell. For instance I don�t think the early Slayer albums should be placed in a speed metal subSmile.

I think it makes sense to keep them together in one sub. This will also prevent collab work from becoming even more challenging and time consuming than it already is.

...and Charcaroth please continue making suggestions. We appreciate your interest in the siteClap.

Edited by UMUR - 03 Aug 2010 at 3:41am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 4:46am
There's the possibility of making subsubs (like NWOBHM in trad. metal), but that would also have to be more general and major subsubgenres whose differences are salient enough for non-experts to perceive, or whose place in metal history is important (as is the case of NWOBHM). I can imagine that a subsub like melodic death metal could be useful, given how melodeath has developed into a genre which is quite distinct from other death metal music; but I can't see how all the '-core' (excepting grindcore) genres with their microdifferences could be useful to others than experts - besides, it's virtually impossible to keep up with the -core genres, I think. Most of the -core genres are now subsumed by metalcore.

Genre tags should serve the purpose of organizing information along certain focal points that the users can easily navigate by, and excessive genre w**kery will only make things less easy, I think, for the average user. But I agree that we could use a couple of subs more, like hardrock (which I think is urgently needed) and melodeath (which is not urgent, but could be useful).

By the way, I use my own kind of system of genre-tags in my reviews, because I realize that genre-tags can be very descriptive. That's a strategy you can consider using yourself if you're such a genre tickler ;-)
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charcaroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 2:54am
Thank you. My overall approach to genres is to think them as nothing more than a group of adjectives for describing the sound of a band. It's simple, but it leads to long and absurd labelings like "technical/progressive death/doom metal with folk and classical influences and some gothic tendencies". So that'd be impossible as a tagging system.

Unfortunately, I don't know jack about working on websites or anything like that, but I think ... wrapping my head around the task of setting up a genre tagging system, I think they can be split into "pure" genres, as in thrash metal, death metal, doom metal, each with their own specific subgenres. [Thrash< groove metal, crossover thrash,] [Death metal< grindcore,] [Doom metal< funeral doom, gothic doom, stoner doom/stoner rock], then there are universal subgenres like progressive doom/thrash/death/black/power/etc., then there are subgenres created by clearly mixing other, pure genres, like doom/death, black/thrash.

That all got really complicated. ..But I guess an idea is to focus on the pure genres now, and gradually add various subgenres under the header of each pure genre, then filter the bands who don't fit whatever particular genre very well into a better fitting set of subgenres later.

I don't even know if that makes sense. To be honest, there are a zillion more subgenres of metal than there were when I kind of fell out of love with metal in the early 00s, so I don't really know my way around the various "cores" and "post-metals" as well as I could.

topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 5:19am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

. I can imagine that a subsub like melodic death metal could be useful, given how melodeath has developed into a genre which is quite distinct from other death metal music;

I know this isn't on topic but I agree with you. It's very difficult sometimes drawing the lines of similarity between, say, early In Flames and Children of Bodom with Bolt Thrower and Morbid Angel. Most of the time, for me at least, they don't seem to sound like the same sub.

And I agree with you on the core, though Deathcore as a sub-subgenre is still quite the trend and there are quite a few bands out there now. Of course, I expect it to die off as a trend soon, and it will never be as significand as the NWOBHM which was so important we made the sub sub for.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 6:54am
Concerning Melodic Death Metal, even with my limited experience of the subgenre I would say there is a need from a distinction between it and plain Death Metal. A site like BNR has implemented such a distinction in their subgenre listing, and rightly so - the differences in sound and overall approach are quite evident. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic