MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is living in an "anti bullying" society realistic?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is living in an "anti bullying" society realistic?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Is living in an "anti bullying" society realistic?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [21.43%]
11 [78.57%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is living in an "anti bullying" society realistic?
    Posted: 15 May 2013 at 6:12pm

This is something that's been bothering me for awhile; is living in an "anti bullying" society really realistic? I mean, I understand the notion - bullying is no good, and I have been a victim of it myself - but no matter how hard we try there is no true way to completely abolish assholes and cruelty from our society.

What do you think?

vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 7:47pm
no matter what any society does there will always be bullies 
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 11:50am
The more parents, schools (not that they ever actually do anything),  and society in general strive to "baby-proof" the world, the worse it is for the kids in the long run.  There is nothing that has ever shown otherwise.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 12:33pm
There will always be bullying, but am sure that it is possible for schools to minimize the bulliyng.
VargTheViking View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VargTheViking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 12:40pm
I think that bullying will exist no matter what. There's assholes growing up and assholes in the adult world, but like Time Signature said it's most definitely possible for the schools to lower/stop some of the bullying that goes on.

Edited by VargTheViking - 18 May 2013 at 12:42pm
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 12:55pm
It can be prevented to a certain extent (especially in a school atmosphere), but I think assholes will exist no matter where you go. Some people are just innately cruel and oppressive individuals... there's not a whole lot you can do to change them. Ermm
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

there's not a whole lot you can do to change them. Ermm

Ignoring them is a strategy which may work in some contexts. When I was in school I learned very early that, if I did not let the bullying get to me, the bullies would leave me alone and move on to a new victim. So, I actually did not suffer from bullying in school. But I am thinking that in other cultures, ignoring the bullies might not be enough. As far as I understand, in an American context, the social hierarchy in high schools is very complex and brutal, and bullying is used to ensure one's own place in the hierarchy. Can any of our American users verify this?
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

there's not a whole lot you can do to change them. Ermm

Ignoring them is a strategy which may work in some contexts. When I was in school I learned very early that, if I did not let the bullying get to me, the bullies would leave me alone and move on to a new victim. So, I actually did not suffer from bullying in school. But I am thinking that in other cultures, ignoring the bullies might not be enough. As far as I understand, in an American context, the social hierarchy in high schools is very complex and brutal, and bullying is used to ensure one's own place in the hierarchy. Can any of our American users verify this?

Ignoring them will save your ass, but the bully won't actually just "change" in most cases. They'll just move onto somebody new to harass. Ouch

I've never been bullied in school either, and (at least in my high school) it doesn't seem like too big of an issue for most people. There aren't many fights that break out or relentless harassment, but I'm also from a fairly well-off suburban community in Pennsylvania. Talking to people in other areas of the country (like urban areas and the "Bible belt") will probably yield a different response, though.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 3:32am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

The more parents, schools (not that they ever actually do anything),  and society in general strive to "baby-proof" the world, the worse it is for the kids in the long run.  There is nothing that has ever shown otherwise.
I tend to agree with this, ass long as there also is hormones, feelings and emotions, around, there will be different people in society no matter how much politicians, governmental, or the bureaucratic society wants to even out social, cultural, political or economic differences, there will be different people from different backgrounds, that can lead to bullying. 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 11:31am
I think we're all agreed we'll never createa perfect society. When I look though at the low-level bullying that goes on in the schools my kids attend compared to when I was at school, and the levels of bullying in society in general, it seems to me that attempts to eradicate it may have failed but we're in a much better situation than we were when I was growing up. Just because something can never be fully achieved shouldn't prevent us from trying. Yes bullying is natural, but it's also incredibly destructive to lives as I've realised meeting up with old school mates who were on the receiving end of unwelcomed attention back at school!

Edited by Bosh66 - 22 May 2013 at 11:32am
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 1:09am
It's not going to happen anytime soon, but I don't think it's impossible potentially.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 12:59am
No, for pretty much what others have stated, but yes I do think we can at least minimize it maybe..
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 9:32pm
I don't think it's possible even though I would like to think it is
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 4:17pm
You can't just stop an asshole from being an asshole, you can only prevent him from becoming one. People are too brainwashed and barren of imagination to understand that we need proper education system that would promote independent thinking and tolerance for diversity. Restrictions, bans and caste system based on wealth are the key ingredients of the poison we, the global society, swallow every day. So, to answer your question: yes, it's possible. it's just very unlikely. 

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a communist :P I'm just a marxist.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic