MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mastodon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mastodon
    Posted: 31 May 2010 at 7:50pm
I have all the four studio albums which Mastodon have produced, my likings for them seems almoust to border an oppsetion/addicted. I can' stop listening to them and I have trouble finding other metal bands giving me the feeling i get from listening to Mastodon, not even Opeth whom i also have lots of CDs from.

I feel the huge elephant have more layers then most metal band I know of i am for now not verry keane on epic power metal (that might change ) but Mastodon gives me the same feeling of epic fantasy without beeing totaly chees and soap. they are epic, adventerous without loosing any (escuse my language) b**ls. (sure im not ditching power metal totaly but my tolarence for operatic vocals are low, their must be some depth, contrasts, colours/neuances) and that do Mastodon have tenfolds off

I personly have created my own little thing regarding this band (not a religion i, not mad Only oppsesst Clown) but I'm a fan which strongly things this band are the Yin and Yang of my soul. they forfill my desiere (I can be as cliche as any ) for broutal music but not in that degree I disgard other metal acts.
but i will indulge finding more doom, sludge, metalcore, and epic metal with depth

but I some how feel Mastodon use so much more of the colour pallet to make their music, their sound, style, albums overal concepts, atmosphere, mystique, comersiall sucess with brains and attitiud who knows which ingrediences you can make a good stew out off.

Remission
Leviathan
Blood Mountan
Crack the Skey
are equaly good and gieves you different adventures, emotions and greatnes.

(I predict an album in 2012 goodbye old world)

Edited by Balthamel - 31 May 2010 at 7:56pm
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 7:59pm
I did not see the other post sorry but I think mine is a bit different but sure you can just put mine into the other one if this is one enough.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 8:05pm
I like them as well. I'm not much of a fan of their earlier stuff, but I absolutely love Crack The Skye! Clap
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 8:12pm
the only album I'm a bit not as satisfied with is their so caled best album Leviathan not htat I don't like it but I have more trouble of hearing where it's more superior the Blood Mountain or Remission, Crack the Skye is my third favourite but not much differs. I think Leviathan is good but I can't hear the masterpiece. it s not bad at all but I find it less remembrable

Blood Mountain is for me their best one (ecsept the 20 min which is bot 20 minuts, it's a good song but to long silence=
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 1:17am
^Agreed. I'm not sure about the hype of Leviathan. I mean, I get bored listening to it to be honest and it doesn't impact me emotionally.

In any event, Crack The Skye is a beastly album.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

^Agreed. I'm not sure about the hype of Leviathan. I mean, I get bored listening to it to be honest and it doesn't impact me emotionally.

Leviathan's good IMO, but not much more. There's a few really standout tracks, but a decent chunk of the album is average U.S. metalcore (not really to my liking very much). I much prefer the more progressive Crack The Skye to their earlier more metalcore-oriented albums.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 8:19am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

Leviathan's good IMO, but not much more. There's a few really standout tracks, but a decent chunk of the album is average U.S. metalcore (not really to my liking very much). I much prefer the more progressive Crack The Skye to their earlier more metalcore-oriented albums.

i will indulge finding more doom, sludge, metalcore, and epic metal with depth
i some how find Metalcore more interesting then let say Nu metal, groovy metal like Lambof God and Pantera, me and my friends often play those bands on parties also Gojira are interesting
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 10:22am
I like all their albums.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 3:08pm
Crack the Skye is the one I�ve been most impressed about. Mastodon is not a favorite of mine by a long shot though.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Balthamel Balthamel wrote:

I have all the four studio albums which Mastodon have produced, my likings for them seems almoust to border an oppsetion/addicted. I can' stop listening to them and I have trouble finding other metal bands giving me the feeling i get from listening to Mastodon, not even Opeth whom i also have lots of CDs from.

I feel the huge elephant have more layers then most metal band I know of i am for now not verry keane on epic power metal (that might change ) but Mastodon gives me the same feeling of epic fantasy without beeing totaly chees and soap. they are epic, adventerous without loosing any (escuse my language) b**ls. (sure im not ditching power metal totaly but my tolarence for operatic vocals are low, their must be some depth, contrasts, colours/neuances) and that do Mastodon have tenfolds off

I personly have created my own little thing regarding this band (not a religion i, not mad Only oppsesst Clown) but I'm a fan which strongly things this band are the Yin and Yang of my soul. they forfill my desiere (I can be as cliche as any ) for broutal music but not in that degree I disgard other metal acts.
but i will indulge finding more doom, sludge, metalcore, and epic metal with depth

but I some how feel Mastodon use so much more of the colour pallet to make their music, their sound, style, albums overal concepts, atmosphere, mystique, comersiall sucess with brains and attitiud who knows which ingrediences you can make a good stew out off.

Remission
Leviathan
Blood Mountan
Crack the Skey
are equaly good and gieves you different adventures, emotions and greatnes.

(I predict an album in 2012 goodbye old world)

Clap
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image