MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Megadeth Return to Form...Or Not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Megadeth Return to Form...Or Not?
    Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 8:31pm
Yo,

Based on a discussion in another thread, what do you think about Megadeth's post-The World Needs a Hero stuff?

Seems to be a lot of varying opinions, and I find it quite interesting to hear people's opinions on which albums live up to their earlier stuff. So, which albums do you like, and what are your favorite tracks?

I dig The World Needs a Hero, with my favorite tracks being:

-Disconnect
-The World Needs a Hero
-Promises
-Dread and the Fugitive Mind
-When

I'm not sure if it quite lives up to the older ones, but it's a decent album, with the good songs being really good. My only criticism is that I felt like Dave's vocals lacked intensity or something on this album.

The System Has Failed, to me, is a classic Megadeth album, and a lot of the songs give me vibes from different previous animals. Love the following tracks:

-Blackmail the Universe
-Die Dead Enough
-Kick the Chair
-The Scorpion
-Tears in a Vial
-Back in the Day (this one is pure old school, and I love the feel change at the end!)
tracks 9-12 are okay, but they all have something great in them somewhere.

I'm not a fan of United Abominations. There are great moments in a lot of the songs, but the only one I love is Washington is Next! The remake of A Tout Le Monde is bland. I like Blessed are the Dead and Never Walk Alone...A Call to Arms, but I think Dave is getting carried away with the use of ellipsis....

Endgame is okay. I love Dialectic Chaos, but the other songs are a bit lacking. I enjoy The Right to Go Insane at times, because it's got the classic Mustaine worldview in its lyrics, despite his recent ideological shifts.

Finally, for Thirteen, I don't enjoy much other than Deadly Nightshade, Black Swan, and We the People. But don't enjoy those that much...

So what are your thoughts??? Any recent classics from Megadeth??

www.withinareverie.blogspot.com
soundcloud.com/withinareverie
facebook.com/withinareverie
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 8:40pm
I will say that I like the production on Thirteen, though.

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 12:51am
The World Needs a Hero isn't something I ever listen to... it's okay, though.  Risk was better.

The System Has Failed
is my favourite Megadeth album since Countdown.  Great songwriting, killer chops, and I dig the production value too.  I basically enjoy every track.

United Abominations
and Endgame each have a couple solid songs on them, but overall are simply not memorable for me.  Dielectric Chaos is probably the best track off those albums, the composition of it reminds me of SFSG...SW!, in a good way.
Between the two I slightly favor Endgame - many of the tracks are clearly aimed at being played live, where I think they stand out more than on the studio versions.  Kudos for that, at least.

TBH I never bought Thirteen because I didn't care for any of the tracks I sampled off it.  Probably won't buy their next one either.

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 20 Mar 2013 at 12:52am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 1:25am
Out of those albums it�s only really "Endgame" that I return to now and again...most of the rest are alright, but why listen to alright when the band have done so much better in the past?

VargTheViking View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VargTheViking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 2:09pm
The World Needs a Hero is ok, not something I'd listen to on a regular basis.

I thought The System Has Failed was pretty solid, I enjoyed it for the most part.

It seems like I like United Abominations more than most people but it wasn't as good as The System Has Failed.

Endgame is probably my favourite modern day Megadeth album. I like pretty much all the songs and it's an album I go back to every now and then.

I bought Thirteen. Needless to say I was very disappointed after loving Endgame. It's not entirely a bad album because there are songs I do enjoy on it but for the most part, I didn't like it.

I'll probably buy Super Collider because I have all of Megadeth's full lengths and they are one of the bands that got me into metal. If I were to be honest, my expectations are not high.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 2:12pm
If I'm honest I'm not even a major fan of their classic work. I've only ever brought their albums when I see them second hand. I haven't heard much particularly recent beside the odd song. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 4:40pm
Nothing has ever come close for me to their vintage stuff.  I haven't bought a Megadeth album since The System Has Failed, but I've heard a large chunk of it.  I'm not as into thrash now as I was 8-10 years ago, so I'm usually looking more into some other styles (with some exceptions).
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 6:16pm
I think everything Megadeth ever released is an 8/10 or better, with the exceptions of Criptic Writings & Risl, which are more 7 and 5. I like all their latter day albums.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 12:14pm
I don't think any of the recent Megadeth albums are poor but none are as good as their earlier albums.
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

I think everything Megadeth ever released is an 8/10 or better, with the exceptions of Criptic Writings & Risl, which are more 7 and 5. I like all their latter day albums.

same except i like cryptic writings a little more than u
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 6:33pm
'Hero' for me is a decent album. Not great, but decent.

'System' I don't care for much. I guess it's ok, but there's just something about it that makes me not listen to it much.

UA is my 3rd favorite Megadeth album. I put it right behind RIP and Countdown Smile

Endgame is very good too, they sound fresh on that.

13 sounds like Endgame 2.0, but not as inspired. It's just ok.

Haven't heard the new one yet....
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

'Hero' for me is a decent album. Not great, but decent.

'System' I don't care for much. I guess it's ok, but there's just something about it that makes me not listen to it much.

UA is my 3rd favorite Megadeth album. I put it right behind RIP and Countdown Smile

Endgame is very good too, they sound fresh on that.

13 sounds like Endgame 2.0, but not as inspired. It's just ok.

Haven't heard the new one yet....

New one has it's moments, but is really forgettable, imo. I am kinda disappointed. One thing I will say positively about it is that Broderick finally sounds like he's soloing in Megadeth. This lineup is shaping up to have a good, choesive "sound." Now, to get back to classic songwriting again....Cool

Edited by Nick Dilley - 15 Jun 2013 at 2:41pm

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 5:19am
I say NOT. Two good albums in more than a decade (TSHF and Endgame), the rest are pretty mediocre, uneven efforts and their last album is  pretty awful, even worse than Risk (their most hated album LOL)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic