MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potential for experimentation

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which sub-genre has bigger potential for experimentation?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [13.33%]
5 [33.33%]
8 [53.33%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potential for experimentation
    Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 8:47am
As the last decade abounded with eclectic death and black metal bands creating countless combinations of genres, I have the following question: 

Which of these two sub-genres of extreme metal has bigger potential for experimentation with genres outside the metal one (e.g. jazz, folk, classical, psychedelic rock, post-rock)? 
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 1:20pm
The 3rd option!
Inexistence is the true normality.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 2:48pm
I just had a little thought that maybe black metal is just easier to combine with other genres and doesn't necessarily have bigger potential. Bands like Opeth, Edge of Sanity, Nile [isn't it fucking egyptian death metal?], Cynic and others are proof that death metal can be eclectic and quite successful at the same time. There's more eclectic black metal bands, obviously [hordes of ambient, shoegaze, folk, post, avant-garde bm], but maybe it's just because it's easier to... well, play, actually Geek

All in all, I chose the 3rd option too.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 3:08pm
It's difficult to me for think in a death metal/post rock band, but there's many death metal bands blending their sound with jazz, for example.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

It's difficult to me for think in a death metal/post rock band

About the closest thing I've heard is the song En/Soph by Vaura.  That riff at 2:55 is crushing.  That being said, the rest of the album probably has more black metal than death metal influence

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 17 Oct 2012 at 6:03pm
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

It's difficult to me for think in a death metal/post rock band, but there's many death metal bands blending their sound with jazz, for example.

...And vice versa.  Lots of post-black metal bands out there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic