MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A civil discussion about Nickelback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 8:18pm
nickelback sux
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I live in Canada and have never met somebody who likes Nickelback... or at least not enough to admit it.

That's exactly my frustration with them.  Why all this airplay if they have so few who confess to be fans.  My mom owns a Nickelback album, and she's the member in my family who is the least interested in discovering new music (sticks mainly to what she grew up with).  
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 10:16pm
I owned a Nickelback album when I was like 11, and it's probably the only cd I've ever resold
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 2:43am
I was really into them when I was first getting into music, which was when Silver Side Up was released. Not having much experience with music at that point (and frankly Nickelback is the least embarrassing artist I was in to then) I bought everything they'd done up to that point that I could lay my hands on, which was three albums, a DVD and some singles as well. I was still really into them by the time they dropped The Long Road, which even to the fanboy I was then was a disappointing album. I was less into them but still bought All the Right Reasons in 2005 and found it to be a better album. At the time metal was beginning to take over my tastes more and more and not long after the release of All the Right Reasons I lost all interest in Nickelback. A friend, who still sings their praises to this day, lent me the next album, Dark Horse, so I could check it out and I found it to be awfully bad. I never brought it myself, although it somehow found it's way into my collection via my mother, who seems to still think they're one of my favourites. Still I'd take the Nickelback album over the Creed one that I got at the same time (which I've never listened to after about a year of owning it).

Honestly I don't think their music is that bad. Bland maybe, but not bad. I've heard plenty of music I would deem to be bad that I'd take Nickelback over any day. They only have two albums which pass mid-range ratings really for me and those ratings probably have a bit of nostalgia influencing them. Nostalgia is also the only reason I ever feel inclined to listen to them these days, in very rare moments of madness, and it's definitely the only thing that keeps me from selling their albums, as I have done with the majority of the other stuff I owned when I was first getting into music.

But yeah they are overrated as can be. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 7:56am
Growing up in an area where the population is almost entirely white conservative rednecks, Nickelback is one of those bands who I've come to associate with white trash.  Especially with the singer's voice.
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 1:05am
While I love to chuckle at Nickleback jokes and stuff, I don't hate them and certainly would rather hear them than stuff like Kanye West, Justin Bieber, etc. I just think their music is pretty bland.

Canada should be promoting bands like Borealis Smile

Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 3:13pm
I don't like Nickleback, in as much as they aren't one of 'my bands' but I have no dislike for them whatsoever. There's certain bands who always get the 'totally shitty band' tag at any given point in time, they never really deserve it and its just adolescent behavior that reasonable people should grow out of.

Every piece of art has its lovers, haters and people who just don't care. I don't care about Nickleback. I'll bob my head to Leader Of Men and maybe Rockstar but I'll never buy an album or go see them live. But at the same time, I don' think that they're rubbish, or they can't play or any of that negative business.

There's too much negativity in this world. Kings Of Leon and Coldplay and Nickleback and The White Stripes and Pete Doherty and Brian Adams and Poisen and Linkin Park and whoever else its cool to hate are all artistically relevant, talented people who do something for someone and I don't see the point in hating them. Not liking them certainly, but I don't get hating them.

Music, and indeed all art is just 'here is a bunch of stuff... find which bits you like.'

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

I don't like Nickleback, in as much as they aren't one of 'my bands' but I have no dislike for them whatsoever. There's certain bands who always get the 'totally shitty band' tag at any given point in time, they never really deserve it and its just adolescent behavior that reasonable people should grow out of.

Every piece of art has its lovers, haters and people who just don't care. I don't care about Nickleback. I'll bob my head to Leader Of Men and maybe Rockstar but I'll never buy an album or go see them live. But at the same time, I don' think that they're rubbish, or they can't play or any of that negative business.

There's too much negativity in this world. Kings Of Leon and Coldplay and Nickleback and The White Stripes and Pete Doherty and Brian Adams and Poisen and Linkin Park and whoever else its cool to hate are all artistically relevant, talented people who do something for someone and I don't see the point in hating them. Not liking them certainly, but I don't get hating them.

Music, and indeed all art is just 'here is a bunch of stuff... find which bits you like.'
exactly if they sucked then they would have hardly any fans and wouldn't be selling albums hardly as well.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 12:16pm
Soccer mom music....is all I'm saying.  I don't really like them at all, that is, their music...don't hate them personally though, as human beings..Approve

Edited by musiclover60sn70s - 28 Jan 2013 at 12:17pm
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 12:22pm
I'm too old for Nickelback to ever have made an impact on my life. I am also too old to hate Nickelback. They're just part of the general rock landscape to me.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 1:28am
Nickleback deserve all the criticism they get. All their songs sound the same stylistically and nothing they have done is new or anything. They are just another lame post-grunge band
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

There's too much negativity in this world. Kings Of Leon and Coldplay and Nickleback and The White Stripes and Pete Doherty and Brian Adams and Poisen and Linkin Park and whoever else its cool to hate are all artistically relevant, talented people who do something for someone and I don't see the point in hating them. 

I've heard some of those bands criticized because as you say they're cool to hate, but Nickelback is by far worse than most of those.

Their music is everything that's already been posted here, but also it's trash.  The lyrics are stupid and hedonistic and the band seems to actively promote douchebaggery.  Their fans (and yes I have been to a Nickelback concert Pinch) are generally obnoxious, selfish people who's highest ambition in life is to get wasted and nail whores in the back of pickup trucks.  This seems to be the lifestyle the band promotes, and as far as I'm concerned, they can go f*ck themselves Big smile

Edited by E�rendil - 08 Jul 2013 at 9:52am
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 10:30am
I like the Nickelback hits well enough.  I own all of their albums, although admittedly I haven't really listened to them all that often in recent years.  I rarely listen to the radio and I've never been to one of their concerts, so I can't necessarily say that I have been oversaturated with them over the years or have any opinion about who a Nickelback fan is.  Tiger pitcher Phil Coke uses their song Burn It To The Ground as his song when he gets called into the game, and I kind of like that song so take that for what is worth.  That is probably the majority of my exposure to them these days outside of when I listen to them on purpose, which again, isn't very often.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic