Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keyboards in Metal. How can this be?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 3:39am
Originally posted by Stephen Stephen wrote:

Originally posted by DeathOfSeasons DeathOfSeasons wrote:

Originally posted by Stephen Stephen wrote:

Keyboard added a depth and beauty to the music but of course can't be done in thrash or death,

Ever heard of Sadist or Nocturnus? Tongue

never heard of them buddy, but that's only my opinion
i guess probably the keyboard was used at the intro or outro because when it's used in the midst of a song, isn't the key sound will drown and vanished with a dominant distorted guitar and pounding drums esp for death ?

Ha! Just because you never heard of them, it doesnt mean they didnt exist Tongue
I gave you alot of "research"  to look into from my little essay on page 1 LOL I gave just a TINY
list of Metal Bands with full time Keyboardists.

The thing about Nocturus was, they were WAY ahead of their time and maybe the 1st Death
Metal Band with a full time Keyboardist, they might be even older than you and your
assumption Wink (I just assume folks are younger than me Confused).
Its not that we want to make you like anything, we just want you to open up to possibilites.
. . . even if you dont like it in the end, which is okay to.

But I think the point of "Are Keyboards essential to Metal" -well if they have a full time Keyboardist
at the start, its a essential for that Band, yes? Keyboards are not essential for every Metal Band
(as many have said here), but an extra tool if they need it Wink.

In 1992:

1990:

"Suspyre" Prog/Math Metal:

"Emperor"  Prog/Black Metal:

There are soo many facets to Metal, you just can't limit it.  Just explore, take a look around,
see what you like Big smile

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 13 Apr 2010 at 5:03am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
The Pessimist View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 10:15am
As a keys player myself, I can say they're not important in any metal I've heard. There's a time a place for keyboards in any type of music. Sometimes it adds another coat to it, sometimes it sounds horrific.

The most important music in metal for me is drums. Think about it. Every band except Sunn0))) and Earth and other funeral doom bands (or drone doom, could never decipher the terminology), utilises drums and get's their energy from drums. I mean, look at pig Destroyer and Suffocation. Can you imagine them without the same level of drumming? It would be DULL!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 4:16am

Sabbath used keys on "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath", and Priest used keys on "Rocka Rolla". Both bands used keys on subsequent albums.

These two bands defined metal, ergo, metal has keys.

Logic, see?

Edited by Certif1ed - 13 Apr 2010 at 4:18am
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarke2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 6:38am
If we don't count early metal/hard rock ,and pop-oriented glam metal of 80's, there were not much keyboards in metal...I know of lot of metalheads frowning upon keyboards in modern metal.

Let's just say keyboards in metal happened...somewhere in time...
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 8:11am
^That's true, but I couldn't pass up this opportunity to post this video by Hell;

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic