0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Re-recorded Albums
    Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 4:12am
We have four albums here, which later were re-recorded or remixed completely (though the Andromeda album only in the vocal part). I think it is interesting to see them compared to their original pair. Which one do you think is better than the original?

Edited by Lynx33 - 23 Jun 2012 at 4:14am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 4:59am
I�ve only listened to the Ayreon album and I�m not even sure if it�s the original or the re-recorded versionSmile
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 5:10am
Maybe, it's useful if we put out some more info on the albs with release dates:

Andromeda Extension Of The Wish recorded and released in 2001, vocals re-recorded and re-released as Final Extension in 2004.
Ayreon Actual Fantasy recorded and released in 1996, re-recorded and re-released in 2004.
Pagan's Mind Infinity Divine recorded and released in 2000, re-recorded and re-released in 2004.
The Kovenant (Covenant) In Times Before The Light recorded in 1995, released in 1997 under the band name Covenant, remixed and re-released in 2002 under the band name The Kovenant.

Edited by Lynx33 - 23 Jun 2012 at 5:13am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 5:12am
I�m pretty sure I have the original version of Actual Fantasy then. I haven�t listened to the album since I purchased it though. So that�s probably 10 years ago.
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 5:19am
I think in Ayreon's case the re-recorded version is a slightly better (reflected on my vote above), while in the other cases all the originasl are much better, especially Covenant album, which was a fine symphonic/melodic black metal release, while the remix became an industrial monsterConfused

Edited by Lynx33 - 23 Jun 2012 at 5:20am
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 10:36pm
Dimmu Borgir's Stormblast
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 6:40am
Nokturnal Morum's Weltanschauung/Mirovozzrenie. Mirovozzrenie was the original album with lyrics in Russian and Ukrainian, but I believe it was only officially released in the Ukraine. For the International version, they re-recorded the vocal parts in English, and replaced the majority of the interlude tracks with different ones.

Both versions are easy 5 stars for me, but I much prefer it when bands sing in their native language.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 8:58am
I find it odd when bands decide to re-record old albums.  From my collection, I think I have a re-recorded version of Onset of Putrefaction by Necrophagist and Fluxion by the Ocean (that one might only have some re-recorded parts).  I also remember Nothing by Meshuggah being re-recorded (with 8-strings instead of 7s??).  They sound good to me, but I don't know if I'd ever redo a full album if I were making albums.  A song here or there is pretty common, especially in jazz.  If I were to re-record old material, I'd want to do a completely different interpretation of the composition.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 12:25pm
Negura Bunget's re-recording of their debut is nice
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic