MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5 Live Metal DVDs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 5 Live Metal DVDs
    Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 10:22pm
All right people. What are your top 5 (specifically) metal live dvds (or whatever video format)??

here goes:

1. Megadeth - Rude Awakening  -- Even if you are not a fan of Megadeth, I would recommend this to you if you enjoy seeing bands at their absolute tightest. Amazing performances on this one.

2. Dark Tranquility - Where Death is Most Alive -- Again, a really tight performance, and one of the best parts of this DVD is seeing how incredibly into the show the audience is. Freaking nuts! Stanne's vocals aren't the best as he has long since fried them screaming his butt off, but you get to hear a big range of the catalog and the sound clarity is amazing. It's always fun to here a band's old songs live, because the sound quality is way better than the record the tune came from!

3. Opeth - Royal Albert Hall THingy (lol, it has a different name, I just can remember) -- awesome. 'nuff said.

4. Metallica - Live S**t: Binge and Purge -- don't know if this is out on dvd, I assume it is, but I have the old school VHS copy. See the band in their prime!

5. mmmm.....having a hard time choosing....help!!

dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 7:14am
Oh, I'm afraid my top 5 dvd's are going to sound boring and predictable since most of my favorite bands don't make dvd's...for metal it goes something like this:
1. Dream Theater - Score - fantastic show, the second half of which was with an orchestra.
2. Orphaned Land - Road to Or Shalem - I love how these guys not only mix in ethnic sounding melodies and harmonies, but you also see them bringing ethnic instrumentalists on stage with the metal instruments.
3. Metallica - S&M - love metal with an orchestra backing it...
4. Dream Theater - Live at Budokan - fantastic show, with Instrumedly, 'nuff said.
5. Dream Theater - Live Scenes From a Memory

Who, me? Fanboy? No...

I also have and love Megadeth's That One Night in Buenos Aires.
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 12:39pm
Chimaira - Coming Alive  - Different look and sound than normal dvds. Better.
Coheed And Cambria � Neverender - Quality & value
Carpathian Forest - We're Going To Holywood For This - value
Amon Amarth- Wrath Of The Norsemen - value
Deep Purple - Around The World - value

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 5:39pm
Great choices!

Forgot about Wrath of the Norsmen! That is good.

dtguitarfan, old buddy! That megadeth dvd is good, but if you haven't seen the Rude Awakening one, I SERIOUSLY recommend it. I even recommend it to people who aren't into Megadeth and they actually appreciate it! My only gripe with the Buenos Aries one is that that lineup was solid, but the dudes from Nevermore just didn't fit in with Megadeth well enough, which is totally backwards to me. They're definitely solid players, but the lineup on Rude Awakening is just ridiculous (just as good as the classic lineup, in my honest opinion)!

I forgot to Mention S&M. That is another great one. Great playing, decent song choice, and awesome production. Not to mention that orchestrating Metallica's music could have gone wrong in so many ways, but Michael Kamen (RIP) did an amazing job.

The Dream Theater ones are cool too, but I have to say that I can't get into the Scenes from a Memory one at all. That is my all-time favorite Dream Theater album, but the video that they splice into the performance was so terribly done that I can't watch it. I even like the idea of what they did with the actors, but the acting wasn't all that good, imo, and the quality of the video was like an early 2000s homemade handycam video.

The musical performances on that dvd, of course, are phenomenal.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 6:55pm
I've got to think hard about this one as I haven't watched any music DVDs in months.   Actually, I did watch one yesterday with late 60s Miles Davis (proto-metal?? I kid! LOL).

Since it was mentioned above, I remember watching the Megadeth Rude Awakening DVD alot when my brother used to own it.  It was pretty good from what I recall despite some weak vocal performances on a few songs (I'm thinking Reckoning Day).  I remember She-Wolf being one of the highlights.  The Pitrelli lineup was solid live, though The World Needs A Hero was for the most part a boring album.

Edited by Stooge - 20 Jun 2012 at 6:55pm
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 9:51pm
Yeah, I guess Mustaine's vocals weren't perfect, but that's par for the course, I think. She-wolf is sooooooo amazing. I love in the either the first or second verse of She-Wolf, Dave Mustaine is concentrating so hard on the guitar riff and singing simultaneously that he just starts drooling a river of spit. It sounds gross when I write it, but it adds so much to the intensity of the moment, LOL!

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 10:49pm
I don't have many metal dvds, but I really love Isis' Clearing The Eye and Shining's Live Blackjazz
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 6:23am
Originally posted by Nick Dilley Nick Dilley wrote:

the lineup on Rude Awakening is just ridiculous (just as good as the classic lineup, in my honest opinion)!

Totally agree.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
evilneverdies View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilneverdies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 1:31pm
Queensryche- Operation Livecrime
Metallica - Live shit....
At the gates- live in wacken
Entombed- monkeypuss(live in london)
Wolves in the throne room-live at roadburn
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 1:35pm
In no order:

Dream Theater - Metropolis 2000
Iced Earth - Alive in Athens
Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio
Star One - Live on Earth
Stream of Passion - Live in the Real World
Within Temptation - Black Symphony

Yes I know that is 6 but really couldn't leave 1 out.

Honourable metal related mention:

Transatlantic - Whirld Tour 2010 (I was at the show this was filmed at so it's kinda extra special for me)
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 1:59pm
I have tons of live music dvds, but oddly enough not many are metal music.

Opeth - Live at the Royal Albert Hall

Blind Guardian - Imaginations Through The Looking Glass

Nightwish - End Of An Era 

Arch Enemy - Live Apocalypse

Dream Theater - Live At Budokan

Edited by Jbird - 13 Sep 2013 at 2:00pm
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 7:07am
Off the top of my head:

1. Metallica - Live Shit, the Seattle gig.
2. Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio
3. Opeth - Lamentations (I've got Royal Albert Hall, but haven't watched it yet. The audio was good though.)
4. Slayer - Still Reigning
5. Metallica - Cunning Stunts
<- Click on this!
Gabimm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 12:24pm
Quoting the bands that I listen:
1. Rush (Rush in Rio - for the choice of music and entertainment of public).
2. Dream Theater (Scenes from a Memory) - amazing!
3. Megadeth (Rude Awakening) - great album
4. Metallica (S&M) - beautiful
5. Big 4 Sofia (Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer) - classic

Of course may have other DVDs that are excellent and I do not know, but for now this would be my choice.

For me,
all shows of Rush and Dream Theater will always be exceptional in terms of technique, posture on stage, choice of music and good audience.Clap

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic