MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shining

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which Shining is more to your tastes?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [37.50%]
5 [62.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shining
    Posted: 19 May 2012 at 3:03pm
The one from Norway started out as a squeaky bum jazz band, and has gradually transitioned to what is now their signature "blackjazz" sound.

The one from Sweden has basically been playing black metal the entire duration of their career, and have been becoming more progressive lately.

Because of this, only in the last couple years or so as their sounds have become (to some degree) more similar, have there been arguments comparing them (see http://www.last.fm/music/Shining for example)

For the sake of argument, let's assume both names are original as the Norwegians unlike the Swedes are named after the film.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 3:35pm
Definitely the Swedish one. I have to be in the right mood to appreciate the Norwegian one but the same goes for a lot of avant garde metal for me.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 3:50pm
the Swedish Shining covered Seigmen song Ohm on one album which i think is cool but my experience of both is sparse at best so no vote,

but

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 4:02pm
Yeah I really like that cover. There�s such a hopeless despairing atmosphere about it that is characteristic for both Shining and Seigmen.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 4:05pm
it is also the only Shining song sung in Norwegian Geek
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 6:50pm
Swede Shining
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 9:01pm
Easily The Norwegian.

I haven't been able to stop listening to that album since I've gotten. But that song is my favorite by them.
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zargus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 7:36pm
For a long time i tought it was the same band, i still get confused by it, but i havent realy listened to any of em..
http://www.riseaboverecords.com/wp-content/uploads/BLOOD-CEREMONY-new-2016.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic