MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deftones or Korn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deftones or Korn
    Posted: 14 May 2012 at 10:25am
why is Deftones so popular and Korn is become a laughing stock i must admit that i don't hate Korn, i can listen to the music and sometimes i hear something that i like,

Deftones is more better ofcourse and is in a class of their own, but they are not THAT different and i don't think Korns music is so much more bad, that they should be mocked,

so why do people hate Korn but love Deftones

Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 10:52am
Deftones actually matured as a band.  Korn became basically the poster children for angsty teenagers.  So Korn gets treated as more of a "kids band," I guess you could say.  Although I do think that their self-titled is still better than anything Deftones has ever done, Deftones has the much better discography.

And if you've heard Korn's latest wanderings into dubstep territory, you'll know why people are getting on them.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 2:28pm
Fortunately (Wink) I haven�t had the chance yet to give none of those two band a proper chance. A couple of friends back in my teens were big fans of Korn, but I was never convinced by what they played to me. Sometime in the future maybe? Or maybe not!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Balthamel Balthamel wrote:

so why do people hate Korn but love Deftones

I'm kind of the opposite. I don't love either of them but I can at least tolerate Korn. Deftones are one of the few bands I actually can't stand at all. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 5:42pm
For my money Deftones are stronger for sure, and I agree with Diogenes, they matured, Korn regressed somewhat.

Plus Deftones have a more experimental approach, and some of their albums will transend the era they were produced in, Korn's may not
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 8:01am
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

For my money Deftones are stronger for sure, and I agree with Diogenes, they matured, Korn regressed somewhat.

Plus Deftones have a more experimental approach, and some of their albums will transend the era they were produced in, Korn's may not

Indeed. Korn will ever be nu metal.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 8:39am
Poor Korn - they and most nu-metal (and I don't actually hate it all by any stretch) always makes me think of Henry's quote from 'Punk' (in terms of formula and the effect it'd have on a young person hearing it for the first time)

Around 2:55 ish

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 15 May 2012 at 8:40am
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 9:19am
Neither band really convinced me. I don't hate them, though, and I've actually seen them both live.
buttsled View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buttsled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 8:09pm
I loved Korn when they were new, and still like the first couple of albums a lot and the third one a little.
I never liked the Deftones and still don't.
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 9:33pm
I never liked either, and still don't. I dislike Deftones more, as I did somewhat like See you on the other side. Korn's early stuff just annoys me to no end, especially that one song of theirs that starts with RRRRRRRRRRRRR  UUUUUUUUUUUU RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEAAADDDYYYYYYYYY.
Metal|Bleed View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal|Bleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2013 at 11:27pm
Deftones is a great band, very original and have only gotten better with age. Korn only early stuff. 
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 9:12am
I like both bands, but for their entire body of work I definitely prefer Deftones.  Their last album was my favorite release of 2012.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 1:10pm
They have both done things I don't like and others I don't mind
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 1:51pm
I go in phases with both. I have both loved and loathed each of them, but I'm a lot more familiar with Korn than Deftones.I think the reason that Deftones have more credibility is that they never exploded, and they never released any really bad albums. Korn make good songs, but bad albums. A lot of filler, a lot of questionable ideas, a lot of things that could be described as cheesy. Deftones more or less avoid cheesiness.

Also, I imagine that since Korn were a sort of giant, giant deal at one point, and Deftones sort of 'never got their due' it helps them in the respect stakes, knowing how Metal fans can be.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 7:00pm
always hated korn and never listened to deftones

Edited by vmoore - 26 May 2013 at 7:01pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 6:01pm
Love Korn, Deftones is meh. But put them together and you have Wicked from Life is Peachy which is great.

Edited by Unitron - 24 Mar 2022 at 1:24am
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 6:30pm
Bought albums by both these bands back in the day. Sold them both too.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 1:11pm
Deftones have done some great albums and I have 4 or so. Korn, I bought one many years ago and that was enough. Getting back to the original post I never saw any similarity between the bands but I haven't heard a lot of Korn so maybe they changed their sound since I  bought Follow The Leader.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Deftones have done some great albums and I have 4 or so. Korn, I bought one many years ago and that was enough. Getting back to the original post I never saw any similarity between the bands but I haven't heard a lot of Korn so maybe they changed their sound since I  bought Follow The Leader.

Both bands were leading figures in the "nu-metal" scene, but Deftones drifted away from the nu-metal sound after a while (Based on what I heard on their self-titled and some of White Pony and what I've read about them). So I think that's why they're being compared here.

Follow the Leader is a grower, and few of their albums sound the same. Issues, See You on the Other Side, and Untitled are my favorites, Untitled being their most unique. Here's a couple of my favorites if you want to take a listen:

Edited by Unitron - 24 Mar 2022 at 1:25am
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image