Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [50.00%]
7 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dimmu Borgir vs In Flames
    Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 4:18pm
no neither or both choices so haters gonna hate Tongue

two bands are sort of started as "the real thing" and became "softer" over the years and incorporated melodies and choiers into the style one band is Norwegain other is Swedish one is symphonic black metal other is melodic death metal, both are sort of gateway drugs to extremer bands, but also bands who dared to step out of the mold, so to speak.

both incorporate styles from folk, classical and even some progressive leanings (not overwhelmingly though), both also to my opinion have pretty good musicianship, efficiant and varied songs,  (both released their debute in 94 also)
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 5:08pm
I gotta go with Dimmu Borgir, as I haven't listened much to In Flames. I do not think that Dimmu Borgir have become poppish (I mean, "Abrahadabra" would probably scare the shit out of most pop fans).
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 5:11pm
In Flames for me, though I haven't listened to a full Dimmu album in a few years.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 5:13pm
they are very popular for being a black metal band (they even reach to nr 1 in the Norwegian top charts and only Satyricon (another more mainstreem BM band) have done the same, as far as i remember, bands like Gorgoroth while famous (or infamous) would never reach 1st place or Mayham for that matter.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Balthamel Balthamel wrote:

they are very popular for being a black metal band (they even reach to nr 1 in the Norwegian top charts and only Satyricon (another more mainstreem BM band) have done the same,

Except Now Diabolical and The Age of Nero both suck.  Volcano and their first three classic BM albums were pretty awesome though, especially Nemesis Divina.

I'm going to have to go with Dimmu Borgir simply because their best is better than In Flames's best, their worst is better than In Flames's worst, etc.
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 2:46pm
In Flames sold out harder but I like their earlier stuff more than I like anything by Dimmu, so I voted for them.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 6:05pm
In Flames
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zargus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 2:30pm
Nither is a favorit, but i go with Dimmu, since In flames dont do anything for me.
http://www.riseaboverecords.com/wp-content/uploads/BLOOD-CEREMONY-new-2016.jpg
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 2:46pm
Neither are favorites of mine either, but I will vote In Flames based on their early recordings. Dimmu Borgir are way too pompous for my taste. I can enjoy and appreciate a couple of tracks but I find it hard to listen to a full album. But then again I haven�t listened to every single one of their albums yet. I might find a hidden gem there somewhere.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 9:11am
I'll also go ahead and say that I like the 2005 version of Stormblast much more than the original.

genghiscon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 10:05am
I have to say that I never cared at all for In Flames early stuff, I got turned onto them when Soundtrack To Your Escape came out by one of my death metal friends who thought I might like it. Took a few listens, but I liked what I heard. Saw them live with Evergrey and Nevermore (Excellent show) opening for them and had a blast. So, I never felt like In Flames "sold out", it was just how where they were musically when I discovered them. I still think Anders needs to grow a little more vocally. His mumbling sometimes frustrates me. But, overall, I like In Flames.

I will also say, I love Dimmu's music. I think they are very talented players and can stand with just about any other band. The thing that kills me as far as DB goes is the vocal style of Shagrath. I just have never liked death grunts, cookie monster vocals and all that. Just my personal taste....sorry. That and I find the lyrics are really repetitive and one dimensional. If DB was done with clean vocals and had more enlightened lyrical themes....then they would be a different band...haha. 
I got Rock N Roll to save me from the cold, and if thats all there is, that aint so bad. Rock N Roll! - Lemmy
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 10:08am
I think Shagrath is very tallanted with the vocals, not only the rasping black metal vocals but serious growls and other things. he is very varied and dare to go outside the black metal shriek
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic