MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to MMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMolly Hatchet (Proto?, Classic?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Molly Hatchet (Proto?, Classic?)
    Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 11:48am
Molly Hatchet is one of the more close to Heavy Metal band from Southern Rock band. Ansd not only for album covers or sound. They have played also Heavy Metal song.

Ok... This is my opinion.

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 11:54am
Holy beefcake! I though they were already here.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 1:02pm
Fantastic southern hard rock/blues-boogie. I'm not sure I would classify them as metal. It's been a long time since I've listened to them. IIRC, I have the first three albums and the comeback album with vocalist Danny Joe Brown. Really, I need to listen to them again to give a fair account.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 1:15pm
I actually think I�ve suggested them for the hard rock list we once worked on.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 2:18pm
Southern rock. The only metal element in them is their awesome album covers. After that, the only connection to metal is that they have drums, guitars, bass, and a singer.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 2:55am

Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

Southern rock. The only metal element in them is their awesome album covers. After that, the only connection to metal is that they have drums, guitars, bass, and a singer.

LOL

Well I suppose you have to start somewhere Tongue

From an old cronies perspective and experience you may be interested to know that the 'edbangers I hung around with in the seventies played "Molly Hatchet" as often as Maiden, Motorhead et al.

Don't forget the definition of metal as we know it today does not bear any resemblance whatsoever to its formative years.

1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

LOL

Well I suppose you have to start somewhere Tongue

From an old cronies perspective and experience you may be interested to know that the 'edbangers I hung around with in the seventies played "Molly Hatchet" as often as Maiden, Motorhead et al.

Don't forget the definition of metal as we know it today does not bear any resemblance whatsoever to its formative years.

I agree (in all form) with Colt. And I disagree (in all form) with topofsm.

At first the heavy metal was just a new form of Blues (to trivialize, of course), much more powerful and uncompromising than the Hard RockIf we want to be honest a lot of NWOBHM bands had only Hard Rock bands. Guns'n'Roses also clearly were / are Hard Rock and if we are honest also many  Traditional Metal bands have written songs full Hard Rock (and also albums)Even Metallica have produced (I'm referring to the "Black Album" period) Hard Rock songsHowever, this does not mean anything if we do not think the evolution of hard rock and heavy metal, twin genres and not completely distinguishable.

Sincerely Molly Hatchet is a  borderline band between Hard Rock, Southern Rock andHeavy Metal. Lovers of all threegenres pleasee themOnly their origin have played in favor of their inclusion in Southern Rock. And as successful as Southern rock band, Molly Hatchet have ridden this classification

What I want to ask, without controversy, at toposfm to consider if  "You Really Got Me" by The Kinks is only a POP song because in 1964 Heavy metal did not exist...

Edited by 1967/ 1976 - 01 Sep 2011 at 10:18am
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 4:34pm
You disagree with me completely? You don't think their album covers are metal as fuck? Tongue

In all seriousness though, I don't see the connection whatsoever. They sound pretty much like your standard southern rock band, though maybe a bit grittier. I have to concede that I'm not really familiar with their stuff too much, but I have heard nothing to earn them anything metal related.

I consider "You Really Got Me" a rock song as well. The repeating riff isn't metal, it's a very pop-based repeating melody found in rock at the time, just played with guitar a little more distorted than what the public was used to. When I hear the same song played on hard rock instruments a la Van Halen, it's still a poppy hard rock song, and metal was arguably at its mainstream popular peak.The drums are not metal, it doesn't evoke anything at all found even remotely in the most borderline hard rock/ traditional heavy metal bands found in the late seventies. Sure, it may have been culturally jarring at the time, but it's not really metal.

Metal does not have a monopoly on these elements:
Grittiness
Heaviness
Technicality
Loudness
Distorted guitars
Shocking elements

Molly Hatchet, among other bands, has a few of these elements in spades. Yet they don't have to be metal. Their riffs still evoke southern rock, and riffs are basically the foundation of metal. There are plenty of these bands with elements and people hear them and lump them into metal, even though they really don't have anything beyond a couple of these elements.

I realize that among the rest of the forum, I seem to disagree with everyone else on what metal actually is. I definitely have a narrower definition of metal than everyone else here, and I'm ok with that. If anything else, I think a diversity of opinions is helpful, and If I have to be the buzzkill so we can get an idea of what people think, that's ok too. But we're a lot like Prog Archives in the sense that we'll take anything metal related at all, and you have to admit that is one of Prog Archives' biggest criticisms. For every one of me who comes to Metal Music Archives as a regular user there will be a hundred more visitors who come by here, see a Molly Hatchet album review on the front page and decide this website doesn't know what it's talking about.

I hope this doesn't come across as strong, I'm just defending my argument. Cheers! Beer

Edited by topofsm - 01 Sep 2011 at 6:08pm
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

My words, exactly.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 12:56pm
Added to hard rock.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic