Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Miles Davis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Miles Davis
    Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 5:11pm
Any other Miles Davis fans here at MMA? I've been on a huge Miles Davis listening streak lately... terrific musician and a true genius and visionary IMO! Smile

I've been very much into Kind of Blue, In a Silent Way, Birth of the Cool, and Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet lately, but I love most of his discography. Hopefully a few other people here like him too!

Miles Davis picture
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 6:44pm
I have Kind of Blue, and enjoy it a lot, but I don't have any of his other releases besides Your Under Arrest Sick

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 7:07pm
^ I have You're Under Arrest too... one of his weakest for sure. Ermm If you like KOB, I'd recommend checking out some of his releases as the Miles Davis Quintet (Relaxin', Cookin', Workin'). None are quite as strong as KOB (my favorite jazz album of all time!), but they're all excellent. And then, of course, you'd probably enjoy his late-60's/70's fusion period too!
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 10:59pm
Oh yeah!!! Sax man(< I guess that could be Coltrane or Shorter)

He was vital in my expansion of music tastes into the realm of jazz.  I listened to plenty of fusion before, but after getting into Miles, I soon began to build my collection with other jazz artists who have albums that don't really connect to rock music.  Started with albums featuring his band mates, and branched out from there.
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 7:15am
Probably my favorite jazz musician. I have tons of his albums, all great. Good to see a jazz topic on MMA!

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 12:37pm
Get Up With It and Sketches of Spain are my favourites of his.
Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 11:41am
I heard "In A Silent Way" and I'm having a really hard time understanding the praise for it.  I mean, it's not bad any means, I just don't think I have really "gotten it" yet because this album sure is adored.  Going to give it a few more spins, for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic