MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Symphonic Metal Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 5:52pm
I should definitely check them out properly sometime. 

Symphonic Metal is off to a good start this year, not only with Xandria who I mentioned a few posts back but the new Pythia is miles ahead of their debut and the new Amberian Dawn, while not as good as Xandria and Pythia IMO, is definitely a return to form after End of Eden, which I thought was patchy.

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Guitar Noir View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guitar Noir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 6:28am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

even the though the appreciation is pretty non-existent at the moment.

You aren't kidding. CryWink

Anyway, who here has heard the new Nightwish album, and those who have, what do you think of it?

Personally I hated the album at first, I guess because Nightwish broke their mould with this one, which threw me off greatly. Having given it more plays I've starting to get into it. I think its going to need a lot of listens before review though, this doesn't seem to be one of those albums that gives up the goods very fast IMO.

I recently picked up Imaginaerum and I love it!  There are some really amazing songs on the cd.  I must say that this is my first Nigthwish cd.  I have heard very little of the band with Tarja, in time I will explore some of their early cds. 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 6:29am
Believe it or not I used to be a Nightwish fan. The fascination was shortlived but I own quite a few albums by the band and I still have the greatest respect for them as musicians. An extremely skilled band.

Edited by UMUR - 05 Mar 2012 at 6:29am
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Guitar Noir Guitar Noir wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

even the though the appreciation is pretty non-existent at the moment.

You aren't kidding. CryWink

Anyway, who here has heard the new Nightwish album, and those who have, what do you think of it?

Personally I hated the album at first, I guess because Nightwish broke their mould with this one, which threw me off greatly. Having given it more plays I've starting to get into it. I think its going to need a lot of listens before review though, this doesn't seem to be one of those albums that gives up the goods very fast IMO.

I recently picked up Imaginaerum and I love it!  There are some really amazing songs on the cd.  I must say that this is my first Nigthwish cd.  I have heard very little of the band with Tarja, in time I will explore some of their early cds. 
Imaginaerum is somewhat different to previous Nightwish albums.  Of course, it is still Nightwish, and the orchestral arrangements and choirs are somewhat trademark with them (well... they are a Symphonic Metal band),  but there is somewhat a change on their music, so there is a small chance you may not find what you liked about them on this album on their previous ones.  On the other side, Tarja was a much better singer than Anette, there is just no point of comparison.
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 6:38pm

This thread definitely needs some attention. I can't think of a better band to introduce right now than Whyzdom: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/whyzdom.aspx

These guys play a progressive form of symphonic metal, and the music can be a lot more chaotic than your Within Temptations or Nightwishes. Recommended to anyone who thinks symphonic metal is getting stale.

I have that album. Good music ruined by a bad singer, imo. 

And it wasn't that she couldn't sing. Just poor choices of notes in places and sometimes tried to cram too many syllables into a musical passage. Her voice sounded fine on the couple of slower songs but I thought she ruined the rockin' songs.

Their new singer on their new album sounds alot like Aylin from Serenia, to my ears.

I just found this group from Italy today, Solisia. 

Maybe just a hair rough in spots, but they sound like they have potential, and the singer has a pretty good voice.

el pechu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el pechu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 4:28am
one of the most underrated bahd  imo is EDENBRIDGE 

Edited by el pechu - 23 Aug 2013 at 4:28am
wishangel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wishangel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 3:52am

SUNCROWN - international symphonic metal 

Video on song Believe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKAS2bgDTMI

Song from upcoming album, what will be released in January 2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEvDa6gybwM

StargazerSlave View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StargazerSlave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 10:46am
I really enjoyed Nightwish's Oceanborn and the new Epica album.
Guitar Noir View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guitar Noir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 10:51am
Check out a blog post about symphonic metal band Xiphea, a new name in the genre.

https://shadesofnoirsite.wordpress.com/2017/02/02/xiphea-a-new-voice-for-symphonic-metal/

Edited by Guitar Noir - 05 Feb 2017 at 11:03am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image