Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nevermore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nevermore
    Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 6:19pm
So a while before I was going to see them, I was informed Nevermore and Soilwork pulled out of the Symphony X tour.

I was happy about Soilwork, very peeved about Nevermore.
Well:
http://www.thegauntlet.com/article/580/21477/Jeff-Loomis-and-Van-Williams-Leave-NEVERMORE

Loomis and Williams leave Nevermore Cry
Sad because I love the band, but also they were original members and absolutely amazing musicians. Both were on my favorite lists for guitar and drums.

Given the press release sounds like musical differences and internal strife.
I wonder if most of it was due to the direction of their last album.
If so I hate Soilwork more than ever! God damn it Peter Wichers....
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 2:52am
Oh man I so wished they wouldn�t have released that last album and made This Godless... their testament instead. They would have went out on a high. I don�t see Nevermore ever being the Nevermore I love without Loomis. He is that unique factor that makes their music stand out above rest. Warrel Dane is one of my favorite vocalists, but his solo album and the latest Nevermore has shown that without the fierce guitar playing ( Loomis is too subdued on the last Nevermore album) of Loomis, Nevermore will probably not produce anything but mediocre to just above standard material from now. Please prove me wrong guysOuch
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 9:30am
Loomis leaving Nevermore is a bigger blow than Portnoy leaving DT IMO.  Doesn't he pretty much write all their stuff?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 2:43pm
Yep at least the instrumental part of their songs. Warrel writes the melody lines as far as I understand. Jim writes only smaller bits ( mostly intros like the one in the title track to Dead Heart...).
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 3:04pm
Loomis IS Nevermore.  Without they'll be nothing
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 12:48am
Yeah, Loomis is pretty much the band. I agree that without him they can never be the same.
Also Williams was a damn good drummer, and both original members. This has me so pissed.

You're right Jonas...they are going out in terrible fashion. Put out a mediocre (at best) album and now this. Even if Nevermore continues it just can't be the same....
: (

And really, we may never know but common sense makes me think the band's new direction had at least a part in the strife.
Gawd, I'm legit upset over this one

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 23 Apr 2011 at 12:53am
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 2:00am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Loomis IS Nevermore.  Without they'll be nothing

MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 6:56pm
I'll put it further,

"Williams" and Loomis were Nevermore.  Van Williams (again proved) was an OVERWHELMINGLY
underated Drummer and now in this case-Dane is just a Vocalist in a band that happens to be
Nevermore Confused.

But this is probably why it happened (I put this up at "Thrash Metal Fans Unite!!!" as an update to a
post about our Love of Sanctuary and Nevermore)
:

This apparently was written when Nevermore's latest "The Obsidian Conspiracy" debuted, as a NEW
Sanctuary
album is being made! Shocked
http://www.metalsucks.net/2010/06/30/less-is-nevermore-the-warrel-dane-interview/#more-38956

"Hey, speaking of the bass player and the music of your life, I am fuckin� psyched about this long-overdue Sanctuary reunion!

[laughs] Yeah, wait �til you hear some of the new stuff! I�ve got a song that I�ve been working on the last few days. It�s pretty frickin� cool.

You�re not joking right now? You�re already working on music?

No, I�m not joking at all! It sounds like Into The Mirror Black stuff, which obviously is the evolution of our sound. We�re going to really start rehearsing again and just [pauses] deal with it. It feels right for some reason. I know I said years ago that I wouldn�t do this. That was probably because most of us weren�t really friends. We didn�t talk to each other.

No shit!

No, the ending of that band was weird. It got kind of ugly at the end. Eventually, we grew up a little and started talking to each other again. Now, we�re in a place where we�re good friends again. Which is cool cuz we�re all different people now.

I had always thought that Len [Rutledge, Sanctuary guitarist] � He tried a couple bands after Sanctuary broke up, but then he kind of quit doing music. One day, it occurred to me that he�s too talented to not be doing something. I thought, maybe we should work on something together and see what happens. It happened very slowly. It�s a good feeling.

Hey, those Sanctuary albums were magic. You guys were on track to eventually contribute an undisputed classic album to the genre. Everybody knows that. But working with Dave Mustaine on the band�s first record must�ve been weird. How old were you even?

Oh my god. I was a kid. You know what, I have to tell you: I am going to go back and take more voice lessons before I even think about recording another Sanctuary record. I have to! I haven�t been using that aspect of my voice for years because in Nevermore, I don�t think it�s really appropriate. When you�re singing that way, you have to be consistent. And since you�re never too old to learn anything, why not go back and take lessons?

You challenged yourself on those records. No doubt about that.

Oh yeah."

Seems its probably all due to Williams and Loomis wanting him to be dedicated to Nevermore.
Just that these days, many bands and musicians work on side-Bands/Projects to keep creative,
keep the little money they make coming in and just to have a breather from routine.
I don't think Nevermore will be around anymore Cry.

For me this isnt as bad as Portnoy and DT, but its a sad way to go out for Nevermore (And Judas
Priest
losing KK Downing . . . what the hell is going on out there!?).

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 21 Aug 2011 at 8:06pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 9:36am
Bumping some old news, but I saw the following article today: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=162226
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 8:05pm
I am finding that . . .

"Blabbermouth" is the "Star" magazine of Metal, basically gossiping and spreading rumours and I dont
take them too seriously as a Journalistic Mag for serious Music infrormation.
They seem to twist words of the person Interviewed (even Portnoy mentioned them on the Eddie Trunk
show about their journalistic integrity).

I find it hard to believe that they kept Van Williams on since the beginning yet didnt get along with him :/.
He's a VERY underated Drummer and one of my faves.  Though I am VERY surprised he and Loomis
havent linked-up to create a powerhouse Band.

Heres Van Williams band, its not bad . . .

(From here you can checkout the other tracks)

See more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Williams_%28musician%29

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 21 Aug 2011 at 8:08pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic