MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If You Could Only Listen to 10 Albums...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 1:07am
Originally posted by BitterJalapeno BitterJalapeno wrote:

^Yeah there's tons of albums I feel I've shafted by not including them. I've just realised I don't have any Steely Dan on mine...

I know what you mean. After I did mine, I first realised that I didn't have Wuthering Heights - Far From the Madding Crowd which is why I had to add it as a honourable mention. But I think it really should have been there.

Also I realised I didn't put a single black metal album on mine, which is quite an omission as I tend to credit black metal as my favourite sub-genre. The thing is most of my favourite band's play other genres.

If I were to do it again (somewhat defeats the point of the exercise so I'll stand by what I came up with the first time) I'd probably try to do it the way Nicole did and limit myself to one album per sub-genre as well. Then I'd cover more than the five that I did. Picking one black metal album would be hard though. Death metal on the other hand I wouldn't have to think about and thrash would be just two albums down to the wire.  
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 1:08am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I tried, but even limiting it to just metal came up with about 30 albums

Same, I just couldn't do it. I could maybe do 10 for metal, 10 for electronic, 10 for hip hop, 10 for other if I forced myself.

Well the idea was for it to not be easy. Wink

Maybe do the ten for metal, seeing as we're on a metal site. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 11:07am
Okay, limiting it to metal:

Clutch - The Elephant Riders
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Korn - Issues
Godflesh - Songs of Love and Hate
Judas Priest - Point of Entry
Powerman 5000 - Mega!! Kung Fu Radio
Anthrax - State of Euphoria
Buffalo - Volcanic Rock
Limp Bizkit - Significant Other
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Thresh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 4:12pm
I'm new here, trying to discover some more metal. I unfortunately don't have enough metal experience to list my 10 all time greatest metal albums. So, I'll just go with my general picks.

-- The Blueprint Dives (2003) - Extol 
(Melodic Death Prog)

"My favorite metal band is Extol. Although I do love Mastodon and Fleshkiller, they didn't make the cut. Extol hits that sweet spot of melodic elements, with a smart, extreme edge. Their very different (Technical Thrash) album, entitled "Synergy," is a close second for me. I'm always looking for more metal suggestions, and I've been listening to the band Atheist (good stuff) since I've been reading this thread." 

-- OK Computer (1997) - Radiohead 
(Experimental Art Rock)

"This music is an acquired taste, but who am I kidding, metalheads should be able to weather that particular storm. Beautiful, haunting vocals, and excellent song writing -- this is the most masterful and interesting music I've ever heard."

-- Final Fantasy VII OST (1997) - Nobuo Uematsu 
(Orchestral/Electronic)

"I understand if you don't play video games, it may be hard to stomach the old PSOne synthesizer, but this music is otherworldly good. There is an abundance of adaptations into proper, live orchestral pieces, if one is so inclined to seek those out and listen. The 'Chrono Trigger OST' gets a honorable mention for being the greatest game soundtrack of all time, but this album is my personal favorite due to the generally darker, more ominous tone."

-- Blackwater Park (2001) - Opeth
(Death Prog)

"I'm sure everyone will know this one. This and 'Ghost Reveries' are really nice places I love to revisit from time to time."

-- Songs for the Deaf (2002) - Queens of the Stone Age 
(Alt Stoner Rock)

"Although I value '...Like Clockwork' very highly, this album is the quintessential one from Queens. Warm, edgy, alt rock that drowns out other noise, from one of my favorite bands."

-- Beyond Nature (1991) - Phil Keaggy
(Instrumental Acoustic Guitar)

"The only album proven to instantly put me at ease. Tames the savage woman as well."

-- Much Afraid  (1997) - Jars of Clay 
(Easy Pop Rock)

"More on the deeper sounding, pop side of things, this album holds a special place in my heart when friends were scarce. Great atmosphere and mood on this one."

-- Silence (2002) - Blindside 
(Djent Hard Rock)

"This is not an artsy or 'deep' band. Their songs aren't even that remarkable or memorable. It's mostly that the lead singer has a superb voice (and scream) that goes well with the hard rock. Solid rock album, without a low point."

-- Tiny Music (1996) - Stone Temple Pilots (Grunge)

"Scott Weiland sounds like an entirely different singer on this album. He's probably my favorite singer of all time. And this album has quite the variety to it, making it so much more than just another grunge pop album, in my eyes."

-- Two Lefts Don't Make a Right...but Three Do (2003) - Reliant K 
(Lighthearted Energetic Punk Rock)

"Nothing too deep here; this band is simply a whole lot of fun. It's hard to be in a bad mood listening to these guys."

Edited by Thresh - 23 Apr 2022 at 4:16pm
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 4:31pm
^Welcome to MMA Thresh

Some great picks - I love OK Computer, Songs for the Deaf and Blackwater Park too.

There's endless metal and heavy alternative rock to explore here. Going through the charts for different sub-genre is a great way to start diving into something new. Have a blast!

Edited by BitterJalapeno - 23 Apr 2022 at 4:32pm
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 6:51pm
Welcome! Love those QotSA and STP albums, Tiny Music has grown on me a lot over the years and now I love it as much as their other 90's albums. Been meaning to check out Blindside.

If you're liking Atheist, a couple good albums to check out would be Hexx Morbid Reality and Disharmonic Orchestra Not to Be Undimensional Conscious:

If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 9:05pm
If i only had ten albums to listen to then i would choose death.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 4:16am
^Yeah, it would be extremely depressing
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 4:45am
Well luckily it's a hypothetical question. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 5:23am
I don't even remember a time when I had only 10 albums to listen to. Age 13, maybe 14? Pre-metal days for sure!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 5:54am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Welcome! Love those QotSA and STP albums, Tiny Music has grown on me a lot over the years and now I love it as much as their other 90's albums. Been meaning to check out Blindside.

If you're liking Atheist, a couple good albums to check out would be Hexx Morbid Reality and Disharmonic Orchestra Not to Be Undimensional Conscious:

I can also highly recommend Hellwitch - Syzygial Miscreancy, which feature a similar style and sound to AtheistĀ“s debut album "Piece of Time".
HELLWITCH - Syzygial Miscreancy cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/hellwitch/syzygial-miscreancy

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 6:00am
^ One of the first CDs I bought with my own money was the single of "It Wasn't Me" by Shaggy

I was 10 years old and thankfully, I discovered decent music not long after
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 6:03am
I remember the time when I was able to carry around the few vinyls I owned. Some of the first ones were Metallica - ...and Justice for All, Slayer - Live Undead, and Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time, and I seem to remember that Kreator - Pleasure to Kill was one of my first purchases too.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 8:09am
I took my entire CD collection on holiday to Germany when I was a teen. And came home with more than I left with. 

Only had a fraction of what I own now all these years later. Also don't own a lot that I had then as I was still discovering myself musically. I had a few false starts before really getting onto heavy rock and metal. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic